Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Abyss falling behind?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

carbohvdrates

Re: Abyss falling behind?

Post by carbohvdrates »

It's fine if no one cares, and you can disregard me if that's the case, but I've seen a common mistake confusing a lot in this thread:

A "trans man" or even a "trans male" would be a guy who was born with a pussy, think "Buck Angel"

Women who were born with a dick and balls would be called trans women. Think "Laverne Cox"
Workshop of Work in Progress:
Too many BJDs
Ava: WM-163C (Eva Elfie)
Violet: IT-175D + WM-266

Please don't reply to my posts with incel talking points.
It makes the wigs tangle.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

carbohvdrates wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:23 pm It's fine if no one cares, and you can disregard me if that's the case, but I've seen a common mistake confusing a lot in this thread:

A "trans man" or even a "trans male" would be a guy who was born with a pussy, think "Buck Angel"

Women who were born with a dick and balls would be called trans women. Think "Laverne Cox"
Consider the source of who brought it up.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

jca
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jca »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:25 pm
You mention that your vision of a "more feminine" would reach a much bigger audience. Why does Abyss/Real Doll need a bigger audience? They have plenty of business. There is no need to compete with the "ultra realistic high-end dolls" coming out of Asia. They aren't competitors.
IIRC, they said in the past that hyperrealism isn't the direction that they want to go in with dolls.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

jca wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:17 pm
You mention that your vision of a "more feminine" would reach a much bigger audience. Why does Abyss/Real Doll need a bigger audience? They have plenty of business. There is no need to compete with the "ultra realistic high-end dolls" coming out of Asia. They aren't competitors.
IIRC, they said in the past that hyperrealism isn't the direction that they want to go in with dolls.
Who from Abyss said this? When and in what context?
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

cho0senjuan
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by cho0senjuan »

Im still not paying £8000+ for an RDX when I can get anther doll for well below £2000… I Can live without the robotic functions; I have Replika on my mobile
Last edited by TJ_Foxx on Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 12

jca
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jca »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:03 pm
I want to say that Matt said it a few years ago when asked about the uncanny valley effect, that they didn't want to stray too far in that direction. I honestly do not remember if it was an article or video.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

cho0senjuan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:46 pm Im still not paying £8000+ for an RDX when I can get anther doll for well below £2000… I Can live without the robotic functions; I have Replika on my mobile
Good luck with whatever you choose. No one is asking you to do anything. Your comment seems to be an excuse to malign RD. A number of us use Replika, myself included.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

jca wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:54 pm
I want to say that Matt said it a few years ago when asked about the uncanny valley effect, that they didn't want to stray too far in that direction. I honestly do not remember if it was an article or video.
Perhaps when making a claim, you can be more precise in your reference to it or perhaps be able to cite it. Rather than just sharing your partial interpretation of something we can't verify,
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

AnonViking
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by AnonViking »

I remember the early days of Realdolls, in the late 90's. Compare those with the ones today, the biggest difference is the "uncanny" factor. The early dolls were a bit uncanny, the faces did look alright but something did seem strange, not lifelike enough. I'm not talking realism, just that they are alive and don't seem like knocked out cold or dead. They achieved that in later models.

I agree that hyper-realism isn't an answer. In fact hyper-realism can trigger that "uncanny" feeling, this is called "the uncanny valley".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
There is a specific curve where if you make it too realistic you will feel uncanny.

Disney has studied this a lot. They've run tests on kids showing them animated/3d rendering of a cartoon where people were realistic, and the kids got spooked, scared, cried even. They tuned it back down to more cartoonist looking characters, big eyes and stuff like that, and that was much easier.

I think something similar applies, as you try to go for hyper-realism you induce the uncanny feeling. Striving for lifeness and likability is better choice.

jca
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jca »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:14 pm
Perhaps when making a claim, you can be more precise in your reference to it or perhaps be able to cite it. Rather than just sharing your partial interpretation of something we can't verify,
I'm not writing a term paper, I'm making a comment from years-old memory on a message board. It wasn't meant to be negative.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

jca wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:22 pm
TJ_Foxx wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:14 pm
I'm not writing a term paper, I'm making a comment from years-old memory on a message board. It wasn't meant to be negative.
When we are discussing statements made by the founder of a manufacturer about the direction of the company, it is a good idea and within the rules
here to be sure we can back it up. When I was interviewed by Lisa Ling for her show, "This is Life,". Season 9, Episode 1, "Sex, Love, and Technology." Aired December 4, 2022; Matt McMullen was also interviewed. The content of his conversation with Lisa Ling was not anything along the lines of steering away from realism, but rather how they were continuing to strive more toward it. Over the last 2 years, the live streams I have seen with Mike Wilson, either on his own social media or in extensive Q&A sessions on the now-defunct Love Doll Companion Network YouTube channel, also spoke to how they were striving toward realism. Naturally, I, and I am sure others, are curious about when and where you might have seen or heard the opposite.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

jca
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jca »

I honestly don't remember, but it was prior to that, and back when the robotic heads were being rolled out.

anonymousdfuser

Post by anonymousdfuser »

Matt McMullen from Abyss said that.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/06 ... x-dolls-2/

"You can look at even the best of my dolls, and you can still tell that it's a doll. And I want to keep in that arena ... If you keep it far enough away from super-realism, I think you're in safer territory."
Zelex 170C Inspiration Series

RealDoll Body AA with Harmony head - retired, will be selling

Luiskjr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Luiskjr »

On the Abyss looks, I think they are beautiful and feminine. Gorgeous perfect playmates of a Playboy bunny type. Plus modern because their body is shaped and sculpted by exercize.

Perhaps when someone wrongly said "more feminine" means he would like more fragile, thin, younger and universal type of woman.

Abyss doll represents an American well fit and strong kind of superhero female.

Dolls from China have the look of a more late teen (18/19yo) girl next door

If any criticism of Abyss bodies I would make is a too angular or strong jaw and face, required because of the moving mouth talk feature.

Her lips are also a bit strong, dummy-like, all this for the sake of her electric robot-like features.
Its a matter of preference.

We doll fans need a Harem, one of each type and look
Im kind of like Larry David, speak my mind and that offends some but thats how I am
1965-1978 Long Pillow
1980 Inflatable
2016 Plush Doll
2020 Irontech Torso Mira
Starpery TPE 172F Wayne Winstead and Rozanne, Starpery Silicone Nathalia 165D

lexico

Post by lexico »

anonymousdfuser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 am Matt McMullen from Abyss said that.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/06 ... x-dolls-2/

"You can look at even the best of my dolls, and you can still tell that it's a doll. And I want to keep in that arena ... If you keep it far enough away from super-realism, I think you're in safer territory."
I don't doubt that this is a goal for Abyss. But I disagree with this myself. Give me a doll that gets all the way to absolute realism, if you can. I can handle it!
One of the first owners of a Real Doll (1997).
Currently no doll, but here are my "finalists": FanReal, Real Lady, XYColo, Zelex SLE.
If you have information to share, send me a PM!

INFORMATIONS