betterlovedoll.com

Possible Forum mod?

For Doll related Photography, Graphics, and Web Design.

Moderator: Swan

Tiger

Possible Forum mod?

Post by Tiger »

Jerry,

You probably remember that I am on the East coast.

I usually get in about 7 Eastern and end up here shortly thereafter.

The problem is that the 'Today's Active Topics' button doesn't include whatever discussions were posted by West coast members after I have pulled the plug for the previous evening.

I was thinking that if the button not only gave you today's active topics, but yesterday's as well, then the East coast members (and the eastern European members, too) could see what happened in the wee hours of the morning on the left coast after we all went to bed.

The alternative is to go to every forum and look at all of the previous day's posts to try to catch the late night post from the West or Asia. I have been doing that and I end up both waiting for pages to load and then seeing that nothing new was added.

I don't think that it would clutter up the screen return from The Button that much, and all of the older stuff would be at the bottom and perhaps off screen anyway.

What do you think?

Tiger

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Possible Forum mod?

Post by Jerry »

I didn't write the UBB software, this is not an option on the menu that I am aware of. The pages use "cookies" to determine when you last visited, and what is new. When you exit your browser and re-enter... the CGI script should see the difference in the cookies and set the yellow/white icons.

There really isn't a quick fix for it... and the UBB software is hundreds of pages long. (Give or take... okay... it's still huge.)

I don't have it in me to do it... the survey was enough work for one month. [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Jerry

Tiger

Possible Forum mod?

Post by Tiger »

Jerry,

I think that the yellow icons are working OK. But that still isn't as convenient as the 'Today's Active Topics' button.

This morning, there were new posts to read which were made last night and the did seem to light up the icons for the different Forum areas.

But the button seems to be date keyed, not cookie keyed. That means it doesn't show the new posts unless they fall on today's date.

Also, the cookie update seems to occur only when you first connect to the Forum and not each time you return to the main listing.

The button updates continuously if you just reload the page.... That's really helpful.

Maybe the next time you feel like fooling with it you could check to see if the button could be set for 'today' and 'today-1' or add a 'Yesterday's Active Topics' button if it won't span more that one day.

It may also just be a function of delaying the clearing of the stack. If the code is written to reset or clear the stack as the date changes at the server location, it could probably be hacked to delay one day or clear all except today-1.

Just a thought.

Tiger (and don't think that we don't appreciate all that you and Bill have already done!)

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Possible Forum mod?

Post by Jerry »

Perhaps I don't understand you... or perhaps you don't understand where I am comming from. This should help give you an idea of what I have at my disposal.

If you click this link you will do to a page that looks just like my control panel. It is actually a series of screen shots that I made from the actual screens.

WARNING: it is about 500K or more of JPG images.

If you have a slow modem... you may want to pass. It loads in about 30 seconds on ADSL speed.

This is my interface... I don't go into the actual code... it would be a nightmare.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>The problem is that the 'Today's Active Topics' button doesn't include whatever discussions were posted by West coast members
after I have pulled the plug for the previous evening.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you see a setting here that you want me to try out... I am open to suggestions. Bill just sent me an email that UBB is about to release version 6.1 and we will monitor it for bugs.

Once it passes... Bill said that he would upgrade us. If you want to read all about the new features and stuff just click here and have a look.

Take care,
Jerry

P.S. I did find a glitch in the settings. I set the time to Pacific Time because that is where the server is... but I also had the zone set wrong so the posts wer listing three hours early every time.

O O P S !

Tiger

Possible Forum mod?

Post by Tiger »

I looked over the current interface and the features of the upgrade.

I couldn't see anywhere in the current iteration to make my sugested changes.

The upgrade lists the current topics button but does not say whether it is customizable.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for looking.

Tiger

INFORMATIONS