betterlovedoll.com

Why not mature dolls ?

For Doll related Photography, Graphics, and Web Design.

Moderator: Swan

dollartist

Why not mature dolls ?

Post by dollartist »

Erica, the 50+....
Erica_25.jpg
Erica_25.jpg (260.21 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Erica_26.jpg
Erica_26.jpg (257.23 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Erica_27.jpg
Erica_27.jpg (278.37 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Erica_29.jpg
Erica_29.jpg (230.67 KiB) Viewed 1630 times

AndroidGenius

Re: Why not mature dolls ?

Post by AndroidGenius »

Simply not a large enough market to justify initial setup costs (model, sculpt, mold). Once the manufacturing cost is reduced (automation, cheaper materials, magic new technologies) more niche markets will be filled (elves, aliens, refrigerators, etc). Until then, midgets with giant milk udders seems to be what the american market wants most =p

[Note: S********s does offer the option to "age" the face by adding wrinkles and such. I've seen a lovely example of it on this forum... title of the thread was something like "so and so and her bitchy mother in law" I think. Though she looked more like in her 40's rather than 50's.]

dollartist

Post by dollartist »

"...midgets with giant milk udders...". Lol!

Of course I know this facts and I don't expect at all that such a doll will be produced eventually. I simply tried to create such a doll because it was a challenge to do it. I took an older Edation body with some flaws (broken ankle joints and fingers) and a Mattel headsculpt ("Barbie Grandma"). After repairs I modified the body a little bit (rounder belly, breasts a little bit hanging) and added the head - ready.
In the meanwhile I have a lot of such dolls in my collection, representatives of all ages from babychilds, teens to mature women. Of course it's not possible to show the "younger" ones here in this forum (see my faux-pas on my previous post! :))
But if you are curious you can see some of them on my Flickr account ("doll_maker")!

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

I have successfully added wrinkles to dolls faces with a bit of wet/dry eyeshadow and a fine point brush.

I can age a doll tremendously.

Zang
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Zang »

AndroidGenius wrote:Simply not a large enough market to justify initial setup costs (model, sculpt, mold).
Perhaps not right now, but soon, I think. A population shift is underway that will see more and more older people around than younger ones, and I imagine the doll buyers among the older ones would enjoy the option of doll heads and faces a little closer to their age group, say 30s or 40s, than late teens or 20s. Probably not "grandmother age", sure, but closer than the selection is now.

So yes, why not mature dolls? (At least more mature than 25...) Dollartist shows a good possibility here.

SiliconeWorld
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by SiliconeWorld »

You brought up a very goo point, why not mature dolls? As it's been stated already, not enough market, as a society we admire youth? Cannt say that the dolls pictured aren't pretty, because they are. Interesting....

oneatatime
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by oneatatime »

I thought that the models that Black bear used for his faces were more mature, and extremely gorgeous and realistic! If only I could afford one ...sigh

Thndrrbolt
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thndrrbolt »

This Erica doll certainly looks lovely!
For me, since I must create the "personality" for a doll, it is a much more pleasant task to fantasize that some younger, incredibly beautiful and impossibly genetically gifted creature has found something worthy of affection in me.
A few "laugh lines" on an otherwise attractive face (sitting atop a 10+ body) do little to detract from the enjoyment.
I'm not, however inclined to get aroused at the thought of a date with Eleanor Rigby in her declining years, :-)
T'Bolt

lisabt3
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by lisabt3 »

I like it very much, it would bring a sense of realism for many older doll owners.

Sotaichou
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Sotaichou »

hot.

Like stacy mentioned. It would actually be pretty cool to DIY, maybe even age the doll as you age. :D

very interesting...

/g'day.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Want to see more shots of me ladies?...Head to: The Doll Album | The K TEAM Thread | Karamina's Thread | The Kyanna Project

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

Image Varvara

Image Ready To Go (Anoushka)
AndroidGenius wrote:I've seen a lovely example of it on this forum... title of the thread was something like "so and so and her bitchy mother in law" I think. Though she looked more like in her 40's rather than 50's.]
Might be one of my girls made by a manufacturer not allowed in the public areas of this forum, but you can find her by scrolling down the teashop main menu.

AndroidGenius

Post by AndroidGenius »

Right, your "Cynthia" is the one I was thinking of, Everhard.

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

Everhard, those older dolls are very cool. Especially the Anatomical doll, she looks like she is breathing!!!

<3

netwit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by netwit »

Dollartist, your doll is really sexy; totally love the look.
AndroidGenius wrote:Right, your "Cynthia" is the one I was thinking of, Everhard.
As usual, people have different perceptions; I was thinking of June.
As I looked at her it was hard to see what it was that made her look mature; there are no wrinkles, creases, etc. but she still looks mature. And lovely.

I'm all for mature dolls :thumbs_up: In particular, older Asian looking faces.

...............I'd hit dat
Remembering Jenna

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

Thanks guys and gals. (Hmmm. I remind myself of The Great Santini, who addressed everyone as Sportfans, even when he was talking to only one individual...)

Clothes and hair can make a doll look a bit older:

Image Schoolteacher (Sara, a thermoplastic doll made in China)

INFORMATIONS