betterlovedoll.com

For all you Dutch, Belgian and German members...

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
Maria01
Media Account
Media Account

For all you Dutch, Belgian and German members...

Post by Maria01 »

Hi all,

I just joined this forum today. As a documentary photographer from The Netherlands, I’m looking for people who want to pose with their doll (be it small or real live, expensive or affordable, male or female).

I know the subject has been covered before and I am not the first with this request. But I hope you will read on anyway, because I think I can do it differently.

Currently I am working on a project about BJD’s, so the subject of 'dolls' is not new to me, and I also did a project on mannequins in Syria (which I unfortunately wasn’t able to complete due to the circumstances there). I am used to photographing unusual subjects, have a look at my website: http://www.mariahermes.com. You will see that I treat all my subjects with the respect they deserve.

I know your dolls are very valuable to you, so nothing will happen that is in any way going to hurt or damage your doll: you will have total control over it and of the situation. As for anonymity: yes, that is possible too.

A photographer takes pictures to show to the world, not to keep them in some drawer, so I will try to have the photos published/exhibited, but this will be in mutual understanding: I always work with a consent form, in which we both agree on the terms.

For practical reasons I am looking for people from The Netherlands or those living not so far from the Dutch borders in Germany or Belgium. I am planning this entire year for shooting this project. So no hurries, think about it, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

If you PM me, I will tell you all about it. I hope to hear from you!

With kinds regards,
Maria

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Re: For all you Dutch, Belgian and German members...

Post by Nescio50 »

Hi Maria, welcome to TDF :D

Dolls are a great subject for photography :wink:

Please, can you tell us a bit more about the why and what of your project.
I'm curious, why are dolls and doll owners something you like for a project. What, in your opinion, makes it special?
And what are your goals? What do you want to achieve with this project? Is it 'just' beautiful photos (nothing wrong with that), or do you have some special interest in the doll community?

Also, are you mostly interested in the doll owners or in their dolls? And which should be the subject of your photos? Is it just photos, or is it also the story (text to be published).

Oops, a lot of questions. I just like to know more background as lately there are quite some media requests.

Good luck! :glou:

P.S. Topic moved to the Media forum.

Maria01
Media Account
Media Account

Post by Maria01 »

Hi Nescio,

Thank you for responding and with good questions. My main objective in photography in general is getting to know people. What do they do and why they do it? I want to share my amazement about the world with others. I want my photos to change their view about things. To accept something that before was strange, out-of-the-ordinary, something that 'you just don’t do'.

For instance, I did a project on automutilation, people who harm themselves. For some of the women (and an occasional male) I photographed, I was the first they showed their scars to. For them the project was liberating. I hope for those who saw my photos, they made them learn something new or accept that this was a reality: people really do this. I tried to make self-harm a little less of a taboo. My goal is that my photos reach people who help me change something. To unfold is more important than to reveal.

As far as this specific project, dolls, is concerned: I recently unpacked some of my old fashion dolls that I played with as a child and that had been stored for decades. I was surprised at what that did to me. The memories coming back from my childhood; I was overwhelmed by them. The feeling was so strong. I never would have guessed that friendship with a 'thing’ could be possible, could be so real. Or at least I forgot (because when I was young, I never questioned that).

Maybe that was a bit too much personal info. I hope you don’t mind. But maybe it gives an insight in what interests me in people’s relationships with dolls. Maybe these doll projects of mine are also a bit of soul-searching, getting to know myself by getting to know doll-owners and what moves them and why.

Text with the images is a possibility, I am not yet sure about that. It depends on how the photos turn out. Sometimes they need some explanation in text.

I hope I have cleared up a few things. If there are more, I’m happy to answer all of your questions!

Cheers,
Maria

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

Last Sunday Maria visited me and my dolls. Before that, we had some email correspondence and agreed on the conditions to cooperate.
It was very nice to talk to Maria :D We talked about my dolls and about the doll community. She told me about her interest in dolls. She's professional photo journalist. This project on dolls is free work: there's no client or sponsor, but she aims to publish or exhibit her photos.

After some talks, Maria did a photoshoot with me and my dolls. Maria prefers film over digital photography. This makes a shoot a bit different from what I'm used to. Film and film processing is expensive. Almost every shot must be right. And you can't see the results on camera :?

Maria prefers real action shots instead of posed situations. But with dolls this is difficult. Dolls need to be posed. She asked me to do things with my dolls I usually do with them. So there are pictures of dressing and undressing a doll, doing her hair, carrying a doll, and watching TV together. As pictures are on film, I haven't seen any of them yet, but I expect some very nice photos :D

Maria is still looking for doll owners in The Netherlands, or not too far from the Dutch border (Belgium, Germany). If you like to participate, send her a PM. Or if you have any questions about working with photo journalists, send me a PM.

Maria01
Media Account
Media Account

Post by Maria01 »

Hi Nescio,

I was very honored that you were willing to share an important part of your world with me. Thank you for your trust, your hospitality and your openness.

I will send you the photos as soon as possible (yes, shooting on film takes times these days!).

Cheers,
Maria

brigittes hubbie
Media Representative
Media Representative

Post by brigittes hubbie »

Hi Nes, so you invited another photographer to your home. :wink: I´m very curious on the results. The idea to take pics of the every day life sounds great. As I love to carry Brigitte around I´d like to see a pic of that, I´d just hope that she wouldn´t need too long to push the shutter considering the weight of my love. :whistle:
Chris
Click here to see my Doll Album.

Maria01
Media Account
Media Account

Post by Maria01 »

Hi all,

For those of you curious to see how the project is progressing: check out the first photos on http://www.mariahermes.com/?page_id=744

Please feel free to comment, through PM, my website or here on TDF.

I hope to hear what (some of) you think about it, even if you're not Dutch, Belgian or German!

Cheers,
Maria

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

Nice looking pics, but the title is a bit wrong, as they're not Real Dolls :wink: I'm aware people call realistic full scale silicone dolls no matter the brand Realdolls, but that doesn't mean it's correct.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

brigittes hubbie
Media Representative
Media Representative

Post by brigittes hubbie »

Hi Maria,
a really great series. I liked the pictures a lot. And not only the pictures of Nescio´s beautiful girls. I really liked the Cutting edge and the Poles in Polderland series as well.
All the best,
Chris
Click here to see my Doll Album.

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

Hi Maria,

I'm really pleased with these pictures :D
It was fun doing the shoot, and it's fun looking at these photos.
Most scenes shot I do remember, but a few not ... you really achieved to take pictures of daily situations with a doll.
For instance the first picture, where I reposition Lily's head - but it might be interpreted as domestic abuse :lol:
Good luck getting more dolls in front of your camera :wink:

:glou:

Maria01
Media Account
Media Account

Post by Maria01 »

Hi Alex and Chris,

Thanks for responding and for your compliments!

About the title: I know Real Dolls is a brand name, and all of you know this, but the general public that visits my website probably does not. See it as a working title: maybe it will be changed when the project is finalized. For now, this title covers the subject best.

Maybe it also shows that the brand name was cleverly chosen ;-)

Cheers,
Maria

Maria01
Media Account
Media Account

Post by Maria01 »

Hi Nescio,

I’m very happy with the pictures as well. It was a great shoot, thinking of ways to put your girls into 'action’. Funny how things turn out on camera ;-)

Thank you very much. I hope others will follow your example!

Cheers,
Maria

see the pictures at: http://www.mariahermes.com/?page_id=744

patrice25

Post by patrice25 »

I come of see photos on the site.
I like very much Maria's style.
The fact of taking people in this way, in the deep of the action(share) is particular and very interesting. :thumbs_up:

Maria01
Media Account
Media Account

Post by Maria01 »

Hi Patrice,

Thank you for the nice compliment!

Last week, there were some problems with the website, but everything is now fixed (I hope) and the pictures can be seen again at: http://www.mariahermes.com/?page_id=744

Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in participating in the project, I am still looking for some of you :-)

All the best,
Maria

patrice25

Post by patrice25 »

Maria01 wrote:Hi Patrice,
Thank you for the nice compliment!
Last week, there were some problems with the website, but everything is now fixed (I hope) and the pictures can be seen again at: http://www.mariahermes.com/?page_id=744
Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in participating in the project, I am still looking for some of you :-)
All the best,
Maria
It would be with pleasure, but I lived in France, in some hundred km of the Holland ! :)

INFORMATIONS