betterlovedoll.com

A realistic looking doll for the purposes of a short film.

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
sharding1
Documentary & TV
Documentary & TV

A realistic looking doll for the purposes of a short film.

Post by sharding1 »

Hello,

My name is Sam Harding, I am a Film Production Student studying at The University for the Creative Arts in Farnham, Surrey, United Kingdom. This semester we are being tasked with creating a 7 minute short film based off a fact and then fictionalized. For our chosen area of interest we found a few stories that related around a divorced Father who has a son that is unaware of his Fathers doll.

The general synopsis of the film is:

It's Christmas day, Peter Johnson a divorced Father who lives a double life. At work he is a computer administrator, at home his loneliness is out of control, so much so he seeks comfort in a realistic sex doll; treating her as if she is as human as anyone else.

During his Christmas Day preparations with Annabelle (doll) he gets a surprise visit from his son James.

James unaware of his Fathers double life, his surprise visit to his Father's on Christmas Day will be one he will never forget.

As we are students, our budget doesn't really allow for a really expensive RealDoll. What I wanted to post on here for was just to make people aware of this short film and to ask if there is anyone out there who is willing to help us! We would require someone to lend us a doll for filming purposes and for ease of location it would be need to be someone based in the UK.

We respect that this may be a strange thing to ask but we are really wanting to get the aesthetic look and feel of this story to feel real. We don't want to resort to using a blow up doll that will just look plain and boring on screen. The doll itself is only required for talking with and interacting in subtle ways, there is no sexual intercourse involved.

If there is anyone out there willing to help please get in contact!
one based in the UK.

We respect that this may be a strange thing to ask but we are really wanting to get the aesthetic look and feel of this story to feel real. We don't want to resort to using a blow up doll that will just look plain and boring on screen. The doll itself is only required for talking with and interacting in subtle ways, there is no sexual intercourse involved.

If there is anyone out there willing to help please get in contact!

my email address is sharding1@students.uc
my email address is sharding1@students.ucreative.ac.uk

If there is any other information anyone would like to know then please don't hesitate to get in contact and I will be willing to answer your questions!

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Re: A realistic looking doll for the purposes of a short fil

Post by Nescio50 »

sharding1 wrote:My name is Sam Harding, I am a Film Production Student studying at The University for the Creative Arts in Farnham, Surrey, United Kingdom.
This has been verified by TDF Management.

Mistress Angela
Doll
Doll

Post by Mistress Angela »

Sorry, I am already busy with something. I competing to be on the cover of an little magazine. They want me 8)

Bilbo Baggens
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Bilbo Baggens »

Hi I'am bilbo, I hate adventures , as you know I'am a hobbit, plus you have to call my movie agent, you will have to work a deal with him first. :glou:
Look to this day, For it is life, The very life of life. Look well, therefore, to this day.

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Dollarhyde »

Hello sharding1 and welcome to the forum... :D

All the best in your project... :glou:
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

sharding1 wrote:During his Christmas Day preparations with Annabelle (doll) he gets a surprise visit from his son James.
Image Annabelle

Good luck with wanting to borrow a doll... No chance! They are very heavy, cumbersome, and so expensive nobody is likely to lend one to even the most well-meaning stranger.

This is the second such request from Farnham art college that I have seen. The first was just a few years ago.

Sandtable
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Sandtable »

You might think about asking to borrow a mannequin and a realdoll head. If it is as you say, most of it other than head or hands would be window dressing. There are models other than realdolls, and considering the cost you could understand. A person might rent a car for filming - but that usually carries insurance. Now consider loaning an uninsured car.... that is loaning a realdoll.

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Didn't Ryan Gosling do that one already?
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

Last year one of my dolls was to feature in a short movie.
The film maker agreed that I would be the only one to handle the doll. Also, damages by others than me, would be the liability of the film maker.
For some other reason the production was cancelled, so my doll isn't a film star :(
Resume, it is possible to have a doll featuring a movie, but it takes a lot of clear&strict agreements. And never let an inexperienced person handle a high-end doll.

LovesBlackWomen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by LovesBlackWomen »

Can't you just use a mannequin (with a hole)? They are just as realistic as RealDolls, are much easier to pose, lighter, easier to move around, come apart, MUCH easier to dress, much sturdier, can stand unassisted. If you're not having sex with it, a mannequin is a far, far better option. Also, a high end doll has a better chance of being stolen.

RainLover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RainLover »

sharding1 wrote:As we are students, our budget doesn't really allow for a really expensive RealDoll. ... We would require someone to lend us a doll for filming purposes and for ease of location it would be need to be someone based in the UK.
May I offer some constructive advice? Think of the doll like a piece of equipment you are going to rent for your production. Doll owners are on the whole a retiring bunch who don't want publicity for themselves or their doll, other than the limited photo sharing that happens on the forum or the interactions at our conventions. Therefore, your best shot is to offer up some money to compensate the owner for his/her time--and expect the owner to be the exclusive doll wrangler for the entire time the doll is on set. I think the comparison to a car rental is appropriate, although I would look at car rental fees in your area for a subcompact and then double it. That should be about the right rate for your area. That's about what specialty prop wranglers get (minimum) for low/no budget productions per day of filming. Speaking from experience on this. :)

RainLover
Media Moderator

:plaidskirt:
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." -- Liz Taylor
"Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me." -- hipsters Simon & Garfunkel, singing about doll ownership before it was cool.

INFORMATIONS