betterlovedoll.com

Breaking News - dolls at CNN

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Breaking News - dolls at CNN

Post by Nescio50 »

CNN wrote:Inside the world of men and dolls

Imagine "Guys and Dolls" with a more literal interpretation.

Benita Marcussen photographed men who use life-size dolls as partners in her fittingly titled series, “Men & Dolls.”

It took Marcussen six months to gain the trust of the men she would later photograph. She initially made contact with them via an online forum for the so-called “love dolls.”

Each day, the men would gather in their private corner of the Internet to discuss anything from if they could get an STD from a used doll to chatting as the girls themselves.

At first, the men were hesitant when Marcussen approached them, because they felt their subculture had been misquoted and shown “as freaks” in previous media reports.

Then, a breakthrough happened; she was invited to a meeting with a group of the men and their dolls in Wales.

Marcussen, who is based in Copenhagen, Denmark, says her friends were concerned about her safety when she told them about the meeting. But she wasn’t worried.

“They were really gentlemen,” she says. “They weren’t interested in me at all! They wanted to show me how the dolls worked.”

Some of the men were married with children, others had never had a relationship with a woman; the men’s situations varied, but she says one thing united them – the dolls eased their loneliness.

After the initial meeting, it took another year for her to be able to photograph physical relationships the men have with the dolls.

Marcussen says the friends and family of the men had a hard time accepting the dolls at first, but eventually learned to tolerate the relationship.

“One mom was very specific,” she says. “She told me: ‘I would have preferred that my son had met a real woman.’ ”

Marcussen first learned about men who live with dolls through the documentary “Guys and Dolls.” The community also had a star turn in the 2007 film “Lars and the Real Girl,” starring Ryan Gosling.

One of the men Marcussen photographed now owns the doll, Bianca, that appeared as Gosling’s romantic interest.

“Her whole identity now is that she’s a movie star,” she says. “She’s the Bianca.”

Marcussen says she pursued the project to not only show others that this subculture exists, but also to fight prejudice against it.

“Everybody has stuff they don’t share,” she says.

If the dolls are helping them, she asks, who are we to judge?

– Sarah LeTrent, CNN
Here's the complete article, including sixteen great pictures by Benita 8)

Most of these pictures were shot during TDF Doll Meets and at TDF member homes. For instance, the picture of Lily was shot when Benita's visited me earlier this year :wink:

In the email Benita sent me this morning she said:
Benita wrote:Besides minor misquotes I think it came though fine. They interviewed me by phone but I couldn't read it before they put it on, so I was very nervous. But it is only a few things I would correct and the angle on the story is right. So enjoy ;)
In my opinion this publication is very positive for the doll community.

Thank you Benita :D

Mistress Angela
Doll
Doll

Re: Breaking News - dolls on CNN

Post by Mistress Angela »

Good find and a good article. We're getting famous :)

Yoube Bosley
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Yoube Bosley »

Nescio50 wrote:
Most of these pictures were shot during TDF Doll Meets and at TDF member homes. For instance, the picture of Lily was shot when Benita's visited me earlier this year :wink:
Yeah, that's a good shot of Lily. TeddyBabes are representing pretty well in this shoot too.
So here’s what I’m thinking.  I’ll be Charlie and you can all be my angels.  Except you.  You be Bosley.

--- Peter Griffin

Photos of Dana and Amyliu: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10735

Bilbo Baggens
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Bilbo Baggens »

It was done in good taste , the pictures and article showed good info ..........
Look to this day, For it is life, The very life of life. Look well, therefore, to this day.

katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

Re: Breaking News - dolls at CNN

Post by katiesBoyfriend »

The article and pictures were positive. Unfortunately, many of the comments were downright nasty.
"A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can't break the mould. I tried it and it didn't work for me." Alan Ladd, Shane
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." Harlan Ellison
"Dad says that anyone who can't use a slide rule is a cultural illiterate and should not be allowed to vote. Mine is a beauty--a K&E 20-inch Log-log Duplex Decitrig." Robert Heinlein

hanuman37
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by hanuman37 »

Wow. Quite a surprise. I'm having to field a lot of questions today from people who saw me on the site. I'm glad to see confirmation that our trust in Benita was not misplaced. :) It's been a pleasure having her at the meets.

Sandtable
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Sandtable »

Looks as though some folks are starting in already. I can understand some reaction due to the uncanny valley effect, some people have a fear of mannekin the way some have a fear of clowns. But some folks ... they seem primed to wig out at a fetish. I wish folks would realize everyone is a fetishist - there isn't an island of normal, just a tip of an iceberg that is publically socially acceptable. In puritan US, the iceberg is well underwater.

Mistress Angela
Doll
Doll

Post by Mistress Angela »

katiesBoyfriend wrote:The article and pictures were positive. Unfortunately, many of the comments were downright nasty.
I have posted a comment on the "Could this be any creepier?" comment. I like to know what he has in mind. I like creepy. I have some good ideas for him. For instance being judgmental really creeps me out :P

LaDollyVita
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by LaDollyVita »

I met Benita at Hershey this year. She fit right in and was very genuine. I'm glad to see her work published, and hope it makes a positive impact.

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

Yeah, the comments show how narrow-minded some people are. It shows more about those people than it shows about doll owners.

To me it's not all that seriously. To me this isn't a lifestyle, it's a hobby :D The quote under the picture of Lily is not accurate. I never felt "pain of loneliness", but sure my dolls add some female presence to my home. And that's fun. I like the pictures shown at CNN and those comments just make me laugh :lol:

:glou:

deerman
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Just past the pond, the last deer trail on the left

Post by deerman »

Benita does great work!She took a lot of pictures at Hershey and I got a few of her in action. :D

RainLover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RainLover »

Great coverage! :D

There was really only one commenter, Laura, who was really adversely affected by the article, as evidenced by her two comments. She just couldn't let it go. Sucks to be her! :twisted: Most others had a live and let live attitude. Nice! 8)

Good job, everyone, and special thanks to Benita for such sensitive photography! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Overall, I'd call this a win for the doll hobby. :glou:

:plaidskirt:
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." -- Liz Taylor
"Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me." -- hipsters Simon & Garfunkel, singing about doll ownership before it was cool.

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

hanuman37 wrote:Wow. Quite a surprise. I'm having to field a lot of questions today from people who saw me on the site. I'm glad to see confirmation that our trust in Benita was not misplaced. :) It's been a pleasure having her at the meets.
Any word if she will be at the 2014 Hershey? Did she need to ask before photographing subjects? How does that all work. What's the protocol?

Hillsman
Ex-Member

Post by Hillsman »

I didnt know there is a secret corner in the internet???I thought once you vomit it all out,there it stays fer eternity!
Hillsman

hanuman37
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by hanuman37 »

Lemminkainen wrote:
hanuman37 wrote:Wow. Quite a surprise. I'm having to field a lot of questions today from people who saw me on the site. I'm glad to see confirmation that our trust in Benita was not misplaced. :) It's been a pleasure having her at the meets.
Any word if she will be at the 2014 Hershey? Did she need to ask before photographing subjects? How does that all work. What's the protocol?
The photos were taken at various meets (the one of me was at the UK meet in June 2011), with our permission. At the last Hershey meet, Benita mentioned that she was trying to get her photos into more high-profile venues. My surprise is just from: a) the timing, and b) the fact that CNN.com is a bit more high-profile than I expected. My family is very concerned that my career (such as it is) might be hurt... but while my interest in dolls is not something I have previously advertised, they have known about it for quite some time. I'll be saddened if this leads to specific negative consequences for me, but I think it unlikely and it's not something I'm ashamed of anyway. And as others have observed, Benita is a great photographer so I'm glad her work is getting some good exposure.

As for general photography protocol at the meets... there was some heated discussion of that after the last Hershey meet. The rule has typically been that it's OK to take photos of dolls that are displayed in any public space, and of people in any public space, but photos of people must be blurred to protect their identity unless they give specific permission to do otherwise. Special password-protected areas of TDF were established to share the "unredacted" photos, with access given only to those who actually attended the meet(s). Anybody and everybody, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

INFORMATIONS