betterlovedoll.com

All Dolled Up: The Documentary

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Re: All Dolled Up: The Documentary

Post by midiman »

playtime wrote:G'day everyone,...

Well I for one hope that this North american Broadcaster picks it up and gets the ball rolling.
Once it is out there it should generate its own momentum and garner interest from others as it go's.
This should make it easier for the next 'Installment'.
Playtime.
We are still doing edits based on feedback from broadcasters. ie. The first interview hits much earlier at 3:30 rather than 7:00. We are also doing some edits to hold the the pace as it seems to slow down as it progresses. To this extent we have already trimmed 2 minutes of 'fat' ;)

Now waiting for feedback. Want to nail it before we make the broadcast master.

The distribution company is working hand in hand on this and supports my wanting to maintain the integrity of the production.
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

Playtime
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Playtime »

G'day everyone,...
midiman wrote: The distribution company is working hand in hand on this and supports my wanting to maintain the integrity of the production.
Good to hear they are so interested that they are working with you.
Though I hope you don't shorten it all to much,...
There should be enough meat to fill a good hour.

Playtime.
Playing with dolls is a joy!

Kaori's Antics

WARNING:  The Dolls are starting to play back!

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Bianca wrote:
mahtek wrote:Since it's not low brow or shocking, it won't get past the gatekeepers in the distribution chain, here. The gatekeepers only want sure bets, that facilitates them retaining their positions. Until someone higher up sees or hears of it and tells them to "find this guy", it won't have a chance of showing on this side of the pond.
Fortunately we have the ability to grab good press. We'll get noticed. The main reason why we are on the other side of the pond is that the distribution company is on the other side. One very large well known North American broadcaster is in fact looking at it now.
We just need a little patience, and to hit the media at the right moment. Keep in mind their is still a lot of human interest and weirdness just in the dolls themselves. It is just more mainstream.

And if it doesn't get taken up by a broadcaster it will go to Youtube or the like and still get lots of exposure for our community. Such is the plight of pushing a less main stream topic more mainstream ;)
Funny, I got similar comments from Eighth Wonder when I was looking for my "Diana' doll :whistle:
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

mccobb
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mccobb »

What's the latest on when and where we Americans can see this documentary?

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by midiman »

mccobb wrote:What's the latest on when and where we Americans can see this documentary?
Sorry, mccobb, I missed this.

Broadcasters who viewed the documentary were looking for a different ambiance... one without the travel and humor segments and personal journey. This left only the interviews and a one minute intro.

We are currently in a reedit for a second version that should appeal more to the broadcasters, without having to resort to sensationalism. We are working closely with eh distribution company on this to insure we 'get it right'.

The distribution company still prefers the original and thinks it should be well received in film festivals, but we are holding off entering it until we finish the alternative version so we can offer both.

Earliest you could expect to see it in the USA would be late spring.

If we can't land a broadcaster or festival by the end of next summer we will likely post both versions at CoverDoll/TDF so the community can enjoy it. May not get the coverage of broadcast but we expect once on teh net it could see well over million views once the word gets out.
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

1jayjay
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by 1jayjay »

Thanks for the update MIdi. It's amazing what different people want. I personally loved the trailers and the "travel and humor segments and personal journey." But unfortunately I don't count, it's the broadcasters that matter, in this case.

I hope the second version appeals to the broadcaters, ensuring the documantry gets the full coverage it deserves. Good luck with it, I wish you every success whatever the outcome. :)

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

1jayjay wrote:Thanks for the update MIdi. It's amazing what different people want. I personally loved the trailers and the "travel and humor segments and personal journey." But unfortunately I don't count, it's the broadcasters that matter, in this case.

I hope the second version appeals to the broadcaters, ensuring the documantry gets the full coverage it deserves. Good luck with it, I wish you every success whatever the outcome. :)
I'm with you on that 1jayjay, as thought the original one rocked. However it seems that the broadcasters have a different view to the ordinary viewer like you and me :? . Go figure that, as can't seeing they want us to watch it :lol:
 Click to go to Coverdoll

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muzza »

I am sorry, I am a little confused.
Just the interviews sounds pretty boring to me.
Has the original documentary been available for distribution (except is the USA) or not. If so by who?
This talk of 'broadcasters' and other posts leaves me to think that it is being prepared for a one hour TV slot (with ads)?

In Australia 'Love me, Love my doll' (Guys and Dolls), and one other doco about RD's and 'Monique' were shown on one of our TV networks. http://www.sbs.com.au/television
and if the distribution company does not offer and market it to them then I would at least like to advise them of it and encourage them to show it.

muzza
Ah Love Could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry scheme of things entire Would not we shatter it to bits and then remould it nearer to the Heart's desire.

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

muzza wrote:I am sorry, I am a little confused.
Just the interviews sounds pretty boring to me.
Has the original documentary been available for distribution (except is the USA) or not. If so by who?
This talk of 'broadcasters' and other posts leaves me to think that it is being prepared for a one hour TV slot (with ads)?

In Australia 'Love me, Love my doll' (Guys and Dolls), and one other doco about RD's and 'Monique' were shown on one of our TV networks. http://www.sbs.com.au/television
and if the distribution company does not offer and market it to them then I would at least like to advise them of it and encourage them to show it.

muzza
Hi my friend,

The original was available and was taken on under licence by a UK company. They had advised Dave after talking to networks worldwide to change the format.

I still love the original, as do many I have talked to, but I'm not a TV network or a film distributor, so what do I know, I'm just one of the Joe public that would be watching it :lol: It would seem that TV networks either want very serious docs or trivial sensationalism.

Dave has two formats now, so why not ask him via pm about what you propose here. To me it sounds like a good idea :)
 Click to go to Coverdoll

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

The distribution company used the Trailer Number 1 to market the documentary. When I did the original trailer, it pretty much reflected the ambiance of the documentary as I intended to make it. Then after talking with other industry professionals who felt I needed conflict or humor to hold interest, I opted to lighten the subject.

This actually paid off in that the distribution company after viewing it felt it was much easier to swallow by a much broader audience and stated it seemed like a documentary that both men and woman could watch.

I have shown some of the changes to people who viewed the original and although many of the community seem to prefer the original, many outside the community favor the flow of the new version.

So we hope the networks were targeting that kind of viewer ;)

Trailers here.

Thanks Muzza, for your support. And also Kharn and the many others who have supported my project and encouraged me to keep going when I was tiring.
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

Playtime
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Playtime »

G'day everyone,...

Well I hope when the DVD hits the stores it contains both versions,...
And I'll support Muzza in lobbying SBS in showing the Documentary.

Playtime.
Playing with dolls is a joy!

Kaori's Antics

WARNING:  The Dolls are starting to play back!

WinterMaiden
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by WinterMaiden »

Agreed. It makes sense to compromise in order to not only reach as large a group of people as possible, but also hopefully gain enough profitability to draw more serious media attention to this sub-culture. I dare to hope it may bring light to the vibrancy of the people here, something that I know was sensational enough on it's own to grab my attention years ago, without the sort of distorted "unnatural" perception that seems to dominate the articles nowadays.

That being said though, I am an info-whore, and as somebody who's half-assed stalked this community for years I am kind of worried I'll never get to see the original before it gets put through the political juicer - even if the distributors are willing to try and avoid changing it as much as possible.

Maybe since the original didn't appeal as strong to those outside the community it would make sense to put that version through Coverdoll, where it will only be found by our community and those who are likewise genuinely interested as well?

RainLover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RainLover »

You could release the first version as a bonus feature on the DVD and call it the "Director's Cut". :idea:
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." -- Liz Taylor
"Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me." -- hipsters Simon & Garfunkel, singing about doll ownership before it was cool.

cycl0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cycl0 »

im interested in seeing this documentary myself ..i really like the preview

cycl0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cycl0 »

Is this available for DVD yet?