sexyrealsexdolls.com

Bubbles Photos w/ new camera

No matter how great your camera might be, it is how you apply your skills that makes the difference between an OK shot and a great shot. Here you can talk technical, talk creative, share your techniques, lighting, and digital editing. This is where we can all help each other to take better photos.
If you post a photo here and are looking for a critique, you should be prepared for honest criticism even if it hurts. It will only help to make us better photographers.

Moderator: Swan

beetle

Bubbles Photos w/ new camera

Post by beetle »

Hi Everybody,
For a long time I've wanted to learn serious photography so I can take decent photos of Bubbles. Up to this point I've been using an old Kodak point and shoot digital camera and had to photoshop everything so the pictures would look good. This new camera is a Cannon SX30 with lots of bells and whistles. In these photos I have the overhead room light on and used two spotlights with pink 60W lamps. I think I used too much light. The only photoshopping I did was to reduce the size. There's lots to learn and I'm going through the photography threads on the forum to learn new things to try. If you have any experience / criticism to offer it's welcome. Benjamin Franklin once said our critics are our best friends because they show us our faults. :)

Christine
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Bubbles Photos w/ new camera

Post by Christine »

The only thing that comes to mind is that Bubbles sure looks like she wants some company very very badly.....

:twisted:

Doll Knight XIX
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Formerly known as TG megami - The Frozen North, USA

Post by Doll Knight XIX »

Bubbles is so darn adorable, Beetle! The pictures are great, too. I agree, it looks like she wants some company bad. I hope you obliged her after the photo shoot. ;)

I can't wait to see more pictures with your new camera, Beetle, as these ones are great. :) Nice work!

Oh, yeah... Criticism:

Play around with lighting a bit more, different bulbs, different amounts of lighting. Maybe pick up some cheap photo editing software (some computers preloaded with it) and play around with lighting and color adjustments. The lighting seems good in your pictures, and the color isn't bad, but...I don't know, I'm no professional so I lack the language to describe what I see...but the could be...clearer, more rich...? Sorry for my vague criticisms. I am still learning to take passable pictures myself, so I'm far, far from being one to give suggestions.

Either way, you're pics get an 'A' in my book, and Bubbles gets an 'Omega +', since she's way out of the grading scale's league! She's a beauty, Beetle! You're a lucky man! :D
We will start anew, on here, soon. We can't wait!

Musician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Musician »

Congrats on the new camera, Beetle!

You must have also gotten your computer going again, or bought a new one so that you can post pics. That's awesome...I've been having withdrawel not having a Bubbles fix. I need it bad man! :wink:

I know you'll get all the good advice you need here, because everybody wants to see Bubbles and the gang in their adventures.

I would imagine that your biggest challenge at this point is going to be the lighting. I have the same problem, and can't afford to get anything better at this time.

But there are experts here that can give you great guidance. I'm just a rookie and fumble my way through it.

BTW...Bubbles looks great in the shots you took with your new rig. :thumbs_up:
"The truth can never be wrong, even if no one hears it." - Mahatma Gandhi
My Doll Album: www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=11765

beetle

Post by beetle »

Hi again,
Thanks for the replies! I'll fool around with different lighting combinations as suggested. I like to experiment so it's going to be fun!

I also got a new laptop computer to replace the one that went south on me. So far I really like the fact I don't have miles of wire connecting different components. I hate the fact that I spent so much money this week but the camera was on sale so I figured if I waited I'd just spend more. Bubbles has been bugging me to buy her a new guitar too. I have a real pain in the wallet at the moment!

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

The best advice I can give is read the camera manual. Learn what that button does.

Buy a couple full spectrum bulbs at Home Depot and clamp lights. Cheap and easy.
This will help make the pictures less yellow or green depending on type of bulb.
Your camera probably has buttons for different types of lighting that will help.

Set the camera for the best resolution. It's easier to reduce than enhance.

Not sure of how much manual settings you have, but I set the ISO to 100 and F stop to around 11.
This will have less grain and more in focus.

Use a tripod and the self timer. That takes away any movement.

Some cameras have a +/- button. that will make the picture brighter/darker

Looking good beetle. Keep up the good work 8)
Red Heads Rule!

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by midiman »

I can't think of anyone more deserving of a new camera than you ;)

Incred also had a lot of good advice. Also one can acquire professional lighting kits from $1000 to $2500
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

Congratulations on your new camera purchase! Always a great idea for those interested in photographing their dolls!

Incredi gave you some solid advice. Read the manual again and again until you understand what each function is for. And of course get in plenty of
practice, which should be easy given your willing and adorable model Bubbles.

beetle

Post by beetle »

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I'm going to need it to overcome the learning curve! :) There isn't much of a written manual so I'll have to start checking into the CD content now. The above photos were taken with the auto setting but there are lots of manual settings as well I need to explore. I already have a tripod and the cheap Home Depot lighting so now I have to invest time. This sure is fun though! Thanks again. :)

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

make sure you post pics as you take them...

I love to see how one improves with practice. It's fun to watch somebody grow with a camera.

Be sure to read some online tutorials too, they are of TREMENDOUS help if the source is reputable.

:)
S

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

I love the new wig! Assuming it is the wig and not the lighting, that is! :whistle:

I hate digital cameras! They have so much junk on them that they can require a PhD to understand, manual or no manual. And I have 30 years of photography experience to fall back on. unfortunatly, I am not computer savvy, and that is what it takes with digital. Photography knowledge? Pshaw! Who needs it? Just shoot enough pictures and one of them is sure to be fixable in your $1500 photo software... :fist:

And even the best captures are inferior to film in image quality (assuming the same photographer).
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

Wow Beetle a really nice start my friend with you’re new camera. :)

As echoed by my friends, some good advice from fellow photographers Incredi, Midi and Stacy. :thumbs_up:

Practice makes perfect, which is what Stacy, is saying. The three important parts of taking photos are optics, lighting and composition of a subject. Don’t be afraid to get in closer to Bubbles or even to crop a photo.

If possible also try and use as much daylight as you can. This tends to help with skin tones and gives a more natural look to a model.

Digital photography has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years. And the latest cameras have CCD’s with ultra high resolution, matching and even going beyond film. Top medium format cameras like Hasselbad use 60 meg pixel backs which can give you unequalled quality. So yes digital now leads the way, but even before digital cameras were as advanced as today, photographers used computers to manipulate and augment their photos.

Keep up the great work Beetle, we all love seeing Bubbles, you're work is outstanding with her. :thumbs_up:
 Click to go to Coverdoll

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

We had an old farmer that didn't like technology and came into town with his horse and wagon once a week. I don't suppose he was related? :) Perhaps you have a little Amish in your heritage? :)
Szalinski wrote:I hate digital cameras! They have so much junk on them that they can require a PhD to understand, manual or no manual. And I have 30 years of photography experience to fall back on. unfortunatly, I am not computer savvy, and that is what it takes with digital. Photography knowledge? Pshaw! Who needs it? Just shoot enough pictures and one of them is sure to be fixable in your $1500 photo software... :fist: .
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Bianca wrote:We had an old farmer that didn't like technology and came into town with his horse and wagon once a week. I don't suppose he was related? :) Perhaps you have a little Amish in your heritage? :)
Szalinski wrote:I hate digital cameras! They have so much junk on them that they can require a PhD to understand, manual or no manual. And I have 30 years of photography experience to fall back on. unfortunately, I am not computer savvy, and that is what it takes with digital. Photography knowledge? Pshaw! Who needs it? Just shoot enough pictures and one of them is sure to be fixable in your $1500 photo software... :fist: .
No. I'm picky. I like the way film looks. Digital is too - sterile - or artificial looking. An interpretation of the image, rather that the image itself. It's kinda hard to put into words; it's more of an impression. Audiophiles put forth a similar argument (vinyl vs. CD).
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

Szalinski wrote:No. I'm picky. I like the way film looks. Digital is too - sterile - or artificial looking. An interpretation of the image, rather that the image itself. It's kinda hard to put into words; it's more of an impression. Audiophiles put forth a similar argument (vinyl vs. CD).
As Kharn pointed out that is all changing. Most of the professionals I know are all digital now. When the professional's go that way it is usually a clear sign of approval.

I saw similar arguments about Film and video. Now with all the HD and cinematic processing features in the cameras they are now shooting full feature length movies.
Digital cinematography's acceptance was cemented 2009 when Slumdog Millionaire became the first movie shot mainly in digital to be awarded the Academy Award for Best Cinematography[1] and the highest grossing movie in the history of cinema, Avatar, not only was shot on digital cameras as well, but also made the main revenues at the box office no longer by film, but digital projection. In 2010 the Academy Award for Best Cinematography again was won by a movie shot digital, and the Academy Award for the Best Foreign Language Film, El secreto de sus ojos, as well was won by a movie shot digitally.
Time to embrace the future, Szalinski, and while you're at it get yourself a bigger screen :)
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

INFORMATIONS