Santa
www.realdoll.com
Rita & Angie - HawgCallr

Any tips for fixing fingertips?

A space for the legacy dolls manufactured by as Phoenix Studios. These include the Boy Toy Series 1 & 2: Calendar Girls, Seasons and C series.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

azland
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Any tips for fixing fingertips?

Post by azland »

I desperately need to fix some wire pokes. My princesses fingers are beginning to look like hamberger :( . I tried gluing one that fell off, but it doesn't sit just right. Others suffer multiple poke throughs . I am thinking about removing the wires completly??? 8O

Any tips (no pun intended) on how to hold them together while gluing would be greatly appreciated. I think they are to small to staple? I only want to do it once, and I want to do it right.

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

I would just use the adhesive with a bit of flesh colored powder. Glue the cuts and wipe the access, or You can cut off any access after it drys with cutical scissors.
Red Heads Rule!

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

AZ...

A couple of members here got so frustrated with the never ending repairs on this issue that they decided to do finger wire-ectomies on their dolls' hands.

Your post is another reason why I would NOT get a doll with finger wires!

technoguy
I am NOT currently a doll owner.

CJD
Ex-Member

Post by CJD »

I have to admit the fragility of the fingers, and pokies are a real pain. but it sure is nice to stand there with your doll lady while her eyes lock onto yours and she holds your thingy. 8) and she can only do that on her own with wires in her fingers. Inredi's suggestion is the best way to deal with bad finger pokies.

Keithallen
Ex-Member

Post by Keithallen »

CJD,
I used solder to give Melanie new finger wires. They work great, and so far (about a year) no problems at all 8)

HawgCallr
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by HawgCallr »

I have been fortunate and have had only one poke through on Rita's pinkie finger so far. I just glued it close and no problems since. I do like the fingerwires for their poseablity and the (ahem) use that CJD described.

RaDiv
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RaDiv »

The problem is that the wire ends are razor sharp and cuts through the silicone. Blow the dust off your trusty old multitool and grind away the sharp ends. Then you do as Incrediwagon advices you to to. No reason to cut her up if you don't have to.
She told me to come but I was already there

phoenixstudios
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Re: Any tips for fixing fingertips?

Post by phoenixstudios »

Feel free to shoot me an email and I'll see if I can arrange a call from one of our engineers to help you out.
azland wrote:I desperately need to fix some wire pokes. My princesses fingers are beginning to look like hamberger :( . I tried gluing one that fell off, but it doesn't sit just right. Others suffer multiple poke throughs . I am thinking about removing the wires completly??? 8O

Any tips (no pun intended) on how to hold them together while gluing would be greatly appreciated. I think they are to small to staple? I only want to do it once, and I want to do it right.

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Azland wrote
Others suffer multiple poke throughs . I am thinking about removing the wires completly???
Thats something Realdoll owners did a lot in past (e.g. 2003...) when the fingerwires broke often. Todays Realdoll fingerwires don't break easily, I think its the same with boytoy's.

Regarding Radiv's matter, Carmen's (2008) fingers have neat terminals that sit on the end of the wire's, there are no sharp ends (or they are very small, a half millimeter or less). I wonder how this is with Boytoy's fingers...

Lets see where Joe comes up with... ;).

Mytime & Helen & Carmen
One dream, one mission...

RaDiv
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RaDiv »

Mytime:
The steel wire that makes up the core of the fingers are cut off with pliers. The ends vary from 0,5 mm to 2-3 mm. On my BT there was a finger with about 1 cm excessive wire. It's not so difficult to imagine what that wire did with the silicone. I suggest Matt should grind away the sharp ends. It may take 15 minutes and may solve the pokeproblem, unless you dance jenka on the dolls fingers.
She told me to come but I was already there

Incrediwagon
Ex-Member

Post by Incrediwagon »

This is what Ra Div is talking about.

You can read how I did this repair here; http://www.dollforum.com/modules.php?na ... sc&start=0
Red Heads Rule!

MelodyLuvr
Location: Lost deep in my sweet Melody's gorgeous, big blue eyes!!!!

Post by MelodyLuvr »

Hi - My Melody has a small wire poke on her pinky finger that I just noticed today, during her music performance photo shoot (she's brand new). The hole is in her finger nail (which are red), not poking through the "flesh" of her finger. What type of glue/adhesive should I use to repair it? Also, one that leaves no discoloration, if possible?
Thanks.
Cheers,
MelodyLuvr

Come see my girl's gallery HERE-->http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13036.

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

MelodyLuvr wrote:Hi - My Melody has a small wire poke on her pinky finger that I just noticed today, during her music performance photo shoot (she's brand new). The hole is in her finger nail (which are red), not poking through the "flesh" of her finger. What type of glue/adhesive should I use to repair it? Also, one that leaves no discoloration, if possible?
Thanks.
Hi MelodyLuver,

If the edges join together good,

You will need Sil-Poxy to do a proper repair. It is best to not let the tear or poke through get any worse before doing.

If not, you may want to call Abyss for a repair kit.

Sil-Poxy dries almost clear.

If you order directly from the manufacturer, it will arrive in a day or two. It will be a lot more than you need though, the smallest size tube they sell is 3 oz. so I would give Abyss a call and compare.

Below is a 1 oz tube but I don't know where you can get this size anymore.
Sil-Poxy 004.jpg
Sil-Poxy 004.jpg (884.55 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
Sil-Poxy 006.jpg
Sil-Poxy 006.jpg (881.6 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
Here is a 3 oz that is available now from the manufacturer.
silpoxyforweb.jpg
silpoxyforweb.jpg (125.47 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
I am about to open a brand new tube for a small repair that I have to do. You can't keep this stuff long once it's open, if you are interested and believe this will work for your situation, we could split the cost as it is expensive and I could send it to you later this week.

You can pm me for details.

SL
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

MelodyLuvr
Location: Lost deep in my sweet Melody's gorgeous, big blue eyes!!!!

Post by MelodyLuvr »

Hi SL - thanks for the info. I emailed Joe at BoyToy yesterday, and he's sending me a sil-poxy repair kit....great customer service at BoyToy! :)
Cheers,
MelodyLuvr

Come see my girl's gallery HERE-->http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13036.

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

You are very welcome ML. Glad to hear it.

That's what we are here for, and over at ODC as well ......

Abyss leads the way in customer service, and that's not to put any of the other responsible manufacturers behind, it's just that they have been the leaders and around for so long.

Thanx Joe, Good job.

Good luck with the repair. Just take your time and don't be afraid to ask for further advice if you need it.

SL
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

INFORMATIONS