Starpery.com

Dottie's Home-made Doll Stand. No Special Tools.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
SnowBunni
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by SnowBunni »

I'm thinking of something similar, but using Key klamps and aluminum, tubing. All in all it'll be more expensive, but will not have a wood base. Instead it will have a flat-legged tube base mounted on casters so doll and all can be rolled about the home. Might even install a hand winch and pully system so Steph can easily move the doll about herself.

But maybe the pipe fittings will do the trick a lot less exspensively

windave
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by windave »

Nice job. Looks fairly straight forward.

tabasko62
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tabasko62 »

SnowBunni wrote:I'm thinking of something similar, but using Key klamps and aluminum, tubing. All in all it'll be more expensive, but will not have a wood base. Instead it will have a flat-legged tube base mounted on casters so doll and all can be rolled about the home. Might even install a hand winch and pully system so Steph can easily move the doll about herself.

But maybe the pipe fittings will do the trick a lot less exspensively
a tad less confusing if I actually use MY account to post that.
But also re-thinking. Perhaps one could mount casters to the baseboard? Might need a more sold piece of wood for that? What do ya think?

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

Looks GREAT :D

Thanks for making the parts list. Paige looks right at home on her new stand !

tabasko62
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tabasko62 »

question though.
why the coupler on the upright? why not just a 42 inch pipe? Not nitpicking though :D just curious.

and if I'm ordering a B2 (which is 3" taller than the B5) should I add 3 inches to the upright?

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

tabasko62 wrote:question though.
why the coupler on the upright? why not just a 42 inch pipe? Not nitpicking though :D just curious.

and if I'm ordering a B2 (which is 3" taller than the B5) should I add 3 inches to the upright?
I followed campdaan's directions for this, though he didn't specify the pipe lengths. Looking at the lengths that were available, there wasn't a single pipe length that would have worked out of the box - either too long or short. These length's put the height of the hook at about 55 1/2 inches from the base, which was about perfect for Paige. I think that's a little taller than what campdaan had.

Paige is actually a B6 which is 2 inches taller than the B2. One thing I noticed with my stand height is that high heeled shoes come out a little cramped for Paige. I have to bend her legs to get those shoes to fit under her. So if you like tall shoes, you might appreciate the extra height. :D
Paige and Monica: Album and Blog

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

manekineko wrote:Paige is actually a B6 which is 2 inches taller than the B2. One thing I noticed with my stand height is that high heeled shoes come out a little cramped for Paige. I have to bend her legs to get those shoes to fit under her. So if you like tall shoes, you might appreciate the extra height. :D

When you make the backrest it will push her butt forward. You will then have sufficient height for the shoes...

For Dottie's stand it was approx. 54 inches from the base to the bottom of the hook. That was enough for those gorgeous 5 inch heels...

tabasko62
Active Poster
Active Poster

thanks Campdaan and manekineko

Post by tabasko62 »

well Steph insisted, before I try my own trial'n'error design, that I make one like yours since it's a proven design. I did wind up with a 48" upright which I know is a bit tall for a B2, but I'm also thinking of toying with a hand winch on it so the extra height will make that possible (I may wind up shortening the pipe back down tho) it's a guessing game, not having the doll here yet. But she'll have a place to "hang" when she does arrive :)

homemadesexdolls

Post by homemadesexdolls »

GOOD WORK SHE IS HOT
WWW.MAKEREALSEXTOYS.COM
My TDF Gallery

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Re: thanks Campdaan and manekineko

Post by manekineko »

tabasko62 wrote:well Steph insisted, before I try my own trial'n'error design, that I make one like yours since it's a proven design. I did wind up with a 48" upright which I know is a bit tall for a B2, but I'm also thinking of toying with a hand winch on it so the extra height will make that possible (I may wind up shortening the pipe back down tho) it's a guessing game, not having the doll here yet. But she'll have a place to "hang" when she does arrive :)
I'd be interested in seeing this modified for a winch. I'm starting to get used to carrying Paige about (Looks like I'm getting into shape despite myself), but I could see many uses for an attached winch. Keep us posted!

tabasko62
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tabasko62 »

will do.
I'm no engineer for sure, but I think I can get err done :wink:

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

Manekineko has added casters to Paige's stand. I hope I am not stealing his thunder.

Sure looks easy and useful. Hope he gives us some feedback.

DragonBallz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by DragonBallz »

All very good info gang! I've been scared by other posted rigs involving large PVC piped frames and supension solutions.

I've been thinking that since my BTD will be spending alot of her time in the basement, where my media center, study and library are... I will be using the open ceiling joists to create a hanging suspension rather than a floor-based solution. Strategically placed eye hooks will be inconspicuous to my visitors and will allow multiple placements. This should also allow me to use bungees for bouncy-fun!

After she arrives I can work out the actual heights and dimensions. I will need several jigs to accomodate the various heel heights she'll have. I will probably need to follow the RD off-center "L" hook design, since I'm assuming that the BTD has the same neck bolt as the RD... I need to review Belshanar's photos of Sophia to see if any of them show enough detail.

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

campdaan wrote:Manekineko has added casters to Paige's stand. I hope I am not stealing his thunder.

Sure looks easy and useful. Hope he gives us some feedback.
Ahh, you caught me. :)

Yes, I did a little shopping this weekend, and added casters to my doll stand. I don't have a complete parts lists on hand, but from memory I used four freely rotating casters rated at 150 lbs, 16 x 1 1/4 inch 1/4-20 Hex bolts, 16 1/4 flat washers, and 16 nylon lock hex nuts.

As you can see from the image of my stand Campdaan included above, I threaded the bolts from the top with washers, and secured the casters on the bottom with the lock nuts. I put the casters one inch from each edge of the base.

This works fantastically well. With doll hanging I was able to wheel her through my entire apartment. With freely rotating casters, I could get her around any corner, and the stand base fit through doorways perfectly. The only problem was that my doll would start to swing as we went, so I had to use a hand to support her. If I had Campdaan's back support, I don't think this would be a problem.

Speaking of back support, my efforts to make one were thwarted at the store when I arrived at the cash register with all the necessary parts, only to find that the pipe hangers I had were recalled by the factory. The store refused to sell them to me, and there were no available alternatives. I tried to convince them that selling them would not mean death or home destruction, but to no avail. So I gave up the rest of the material and will shop another store at another time.

I had two pipe hangers, one to mount on the vertical pipe and half of another (the threaded hole side) to mount on the wood back support (a 6 inch piece of 2x4). In addition, I had the threaded rod to run between them, thumb bolts (flared at one end) for easy loosening and tightening on the pipe end to replace the screws that came with the hanger, and wood mounting screws to mount the half hanger onto the support itself. With foam at home all I was missing was felt.

Oh well, wish me luck for my next shopping trip. Now I know exactly what I need.

Ekkehard

Post by Ekkehard »

It's a very good idea. The main-advantage is that the pillar hides discreetly behind the doll - however it admits only standing positions, and must be adjusted on the size of the Doll.
For lifting, storage and positioning (limited) of my doll I use a bridge-construction with hand-winch. This equipment is published at http://www.realdoll-uta.de, the galleries chapter contains an entire photo set.
I'm looking for a pillar that admits wide positions of the doll and that hides behind the doll too. This pillar is very usable for taking photos, even if I would be content to pubish a solution-variation in the chapter "Technique" (coming soon).

Ekkehard

INFORMATIONS