Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Abyss falling behind?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

Darkangel65
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Abyss falling behind?

Post by Darkangel65 »

I own two real dolls...bought second
Hand. First one purchased in 2016 and second in 2018
One of the dolls was slightly abused
In the care of the doll,some slight tears
and dirty because of being not stored properly. But I would have to say these dolls are built to last if you look after them.
Yes I agree the last few years matt has
Been doing the robotic stuff...but that is a good thing...how else are we going to progress with dolls...I for one would love a robotic head if I could afford it.

Real dolls are still relevant
Dark
NIK GUERRA: A true artist and Retro glamour lover...please google his work featuring Magenta

Brick

Post by Brick »

anonymousdfuser wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:24 pm <snipped for space>

I store my doll by either laying it flat it on my bed, or on top of a flight case in my bedroom. I don't handle my doll in any unusual way. All damage up to this point has been caused either directly by manufacturing defects, in the case of the defective first doll I got, or the usual finger pokes that every single doll experiences. Exceptions would be the sealant peeling on the wrist, near the heel, and between two fingers on the left hand. That could be caused by abrasion, but I can't explain why it would be there and not anywhere else on the body. Plus I'm not rubbing anything rough against the doll, because that would cause damage, and I'm not trying to damage a doll I paid five figures for. But it is important to note that the original body did have significant issues with sealant peeling literally out of the box, so it would be wrong to assume that Abyss is perfect with their sealant.
You have 2 problems. First let me explain the process for the arms and legs. When the skeleton is put in the mold there are braces that hold the skeleton centered in the mold. These are adjusted by the techs and sometimes thy are not perfectly centered and this causes slightly close points where the joints are close to the top of the silicone skin. If you bent the joints a lot or to an extreme eventually they break through the skin. Its different with every doll and the experience of the tech. Handmade is not an exact science.
Finger pokes usually occur from the finger wires not being cut short enough at skeleton assembly. Again handmade is not perfect. Its a really easy fix for owners, specially if the end cap is off. Just snip the wire 1/4 in. shorter, put the cap back on and seal the finger with silicone adhesive.
Duracast is simply silicone without any additives to soften or give it maximum stretch. It is much tighter and far more durable than the rest of the body. Hope this gives you some understanding of the reasons behind the problems...
A never ending parade of beautiful Realdolls and of course, HARMONY!!

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Nackers wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:45 am I'd like to see RD taking a crack at articulated fingers. Mostly because they seem to be a "spare no expense" type company rather than some of the others that are trying to make stuff cheap as possible to squeeze out budget sales and maximize profit. There are a lot of of companies running with articulated fingers (at least 10 of the major ones on TDF alone) and some of them are up to version 3 or 4 of the design. I feel like if you're getting a premium doll (and 10k+ makes a doll premium in my book) they could be putting research into the finger design and coming up with something that is actually robust, even if it does add to the cost. Something that is less prone to breakage than the competition.

But maybe they are, maybe there is development happening behind the scenes and they just don't plan to release articulated fingers until they believe they're ready for prime time.
Excellent point, Nackers. One thing we won't see is Abyss putting out something that isn't up to their standards. Mike mentioned in a live Q&A on the Companion Doll Network (now shut down) in 2022 that they were working on a doll with standing feet, but there were major design changes required that made other parts of the doll substandard, and that si something I am happy they did not compromise on. It is likely to be a similar situation for articulated fingers.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Darkangel65 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:16 am I own two real dolls...bought second
Hand. First one purchased in 2016 and second in 2018
One of the dolls was slightly abused
In the care of the doll,some slight tears
and dirty because of being not stored properly. But I would have to say these dolls are built to last if you look after them.
Yes I agree the last few years matt has
Been doing the robotic stuff...but that is a good thing...how else are we going to progress with dolls...I for one would love a robotic head if I could afford it.

Real dolls are still relevant
Dark
:glou:
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Brick wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:34 am
anonymousdfuser wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:24 pm <snipped for space>

I store my doll by either laying it flat it on my bed, or on top of a flight case in my bedroom. I don't handle my doll in any unusual way. All damage up to this point has been caused either directly by manufacturing defects, in the case of the defective first doll I got, or the usual finger pokes that every single doll experiences. Exceptions would be the sealant peeling on the wrist, near the heel, and between two fingers on the left hand. That could be caused by abrasion, but I can't explain why it would be there and not anywhere else on the body. Plus I'm not rubbing anything rough against the doll, because that would cause damage, and I'm not trying to damage a doll I paid five figures for. But it is important to note that the original body did have significant issues with sealant peeling literally out of the box, so it would be wrong to assume that Abyss is perfect with their sealant.
You have 2 problems. First let me explain the process for the arms and legs. When the skeleton is put in the mold there are braces that hold the skeleton centered in the mold. These are adjusted by the techs and sometimes thy are not perfectly centered and this causes slightly close points where the joints are close to the top of the silicone skin. If you bent the joints a lot or to an extreme eventually they break through the skin. Its different with every doll and the experience of the tech. Handmade is not an exact science.
Finger pokes usually occur from the finger wires not being cut short enough at skeleton assembly. Again handmade is not perfect. Its a really easy fix for owners, specially if the end cap is off. Just snip the wire 1/4 in. shorter, put the cap back on and seal the finger with silicone adhesive.
Duracast is simply silicone without any additives to soften or give it maximum stretch. It is much tighter and far more durable than the rest of the body. Hope this gives you some understanding of the reasons behind the problems...
Case and point. I have been in this doll life for almost nine years, and I am still learning. Brick, this is excellent information, and thank you. What would I do without you and Reggie at Galmato Haven? Before there is a finger poke, you guys can grasp the finger below the knuckle and gently slide the skin upward. That will temporarily relieve the tension and help prevent the poke. If you do get a poke, proceed as Brick indicated.

You won't get this kind of information about a doll off of a mass assembly line. Also, if you just ask for assistance or ask a question, we're here to help.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

Mister Bungle 157
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Mister Bungle 157 »

lexico wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:39 pm Hey Again,

OK, I won't be confusing!

I have not had recent experience owning RealDolls. But I have had recent experiences communicating with the company. Or at least trying to, since they don't respond.

I spent $150 to join their "VIP" forum, where I also got essentially no responses to my inquiries.

If a company -- any company -- cannot be bothered to communicate pre-sales, I don't have much trust in their support after the sale.
I've been a salesman for a small company [6 full time employees] for 34 years. The statement above would [and should]
send a cold chill through my body. In this age of information and connectivity..... I personally can think of no reason for any company
not to promptly respond to a customer or a potential customer. Even if the "initial" response is just to acknowledge their query, and advise them
you'll address it in detail in a TIMELY fashion.... correspondence is an absolute must. Poor communication is one of the
main killers of a sales driven company..... and it is also one of the EASIEST issues to rectify.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Mister Bungle 157 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:57 am
lexico wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:39 pm Hey Again,

OK, I won't be confusing!

I have not had recent experience owning RealDolls. But I have had recent experiences communicating with the company. Or at least trying to, since they don't respond.

I spent $150 to join their "VIP" forum, where I also got essentially no responses to my inquiries.

If a company -- any company -- cannot be bothered to communicate pre-sales, I don't have much trust in their support after the sale.
I've been a salesman for a small company [6 full time employees] for 34 years. The statement above would [and should]
send a cold chill through my body. In this age of information and connectivity..... I personally can think of no reason for any company
not to promptly respond to a customer or a potential customer. Even if the "initial" response is just to acknowledge their query, and advise them
you'll address it in detail in a TIMELY fashion.... correspondence is an absolute must. Poor communication is one of the
main killers of a sales driven company..... and it is also one of the EASIEST issues to rectify.
Thanks for your input. The delays in communication are not intentional or due to apathy. We know why they have happened. We have discussed that. Do you really think they aren't aware of all that after being in business all these years?

:deadhorse:

We've also discussed several steps they have taken to catch up . Orders are flowing in at the same rate as they did before the move to Vegas, the pandemic, and Abyss operating at 50-60% staffing with turnover on top of that. Yet, they are still managing to put out excellent products. Other American silicone doll makers are GONE. They fell to the competition from Asia. one sin-fully tragic company had a backlog of over 5 years before they folded. One "jewel" fell to the passing of the funder and a contractor pilfering the company; the other went to designing TPE dolls and having them made in Asia. Say what you will, but Abyss is still here and is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Please take some time to read the entire thread here and the Contact with Abyss thread. If you have something relevant to your actual experiences with Abyss, please share.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

Chronos
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Chronos »

Hi TJ, I'm sorry if I offended you or triggered you, that wasn't my intent. I've owned 2 RDs. One was at that doll meet, you don't remember? No, most women aren't double jointed but you have to admit real women have a much greater joint range than normal jointed dolls so they're are a nice option that improves the realism. I'd get a RD again if they were updated so chill, not everyone on here has an "agenda".
TJ_Foxx wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:04 pm
Chronos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:45 pm Do Realdolls have a standing feet option, that is, for standing for a long time?
This has been discussed at length. :deadhorse:
Chronos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:45 pm DO Realdolls have articulated fingers?

RD's don't. I am not sure how many companies do. Read the forum; many are fragile- I can't mention or link them here as competing brands. .

Chronos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:45 pm Do Realdolls have double-jointed elbows and knees?

Most women aren't double-jointed; why should a doll be? But the RD hips, knees, wrists, elbows, and shoulders do bend and rotate different directions. They just don't bend backward.
Chronos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:45 pm Do they still have like 18 ugly faces and just one attractive one or has that improved?

"Ugly" is matter of taste and preference. I met you in person at a Doll Meet and saw your dolls. Perhaps you think Real Dolls are ugly because they look too mature, like adult women?
Chronos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:45 pmIs the robotic jaw still really noisy everytime it opens and closes to talk?

Ask Brick; he probably has the latest version. Do you have a robotic head with AI or know of one that is better/less noisy?
Chronos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:45 pmHonestly , just asking (I haven't been to their website in a few years)!
Right, no agenda. LOL.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Chronos wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:51 am Hi TJ, I'm sorry if I offended you or triggered you, that wasn't my intent. I've owned 2 RDs. One was at that doll meet, you don't remember? No, most women aren't double jointed but you have to admit real women have a much greater joint range than normal jointed dolls so they're are a nice option that improves the realism. I'd get a RD again if they were updated so chill, not everyone on here has an "agenda".
Yes, I remember your Boy Toy Lite. No, I am not triggered or offended. I am just calling out trolling when I see it. Yes, your comments were borderline Rule 3 violations: since you added nothing about your actual experience regarding the topic and chose to ignore posts in the thread that already answered three of your questions. You are obviously not familiar with the current offerings, details, options, and quality.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

Chronos
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Chronos »

WOW!!! Whatever dude. Apparently you're the only one who thinks that judging by the other informative replies. I ignored nothing, not everyone has the time to read every single post on a 12 page thread. Of course I'm not familiar with their current offerings, hence the questions. Have a good day!

Brick

Post by Brick »

Chronos wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:03 pm WOW!!! Whatever dude. Apparently you're the only one who thinks that judging by the other informative replies. I ignored nothing, not everyone has the time to read every single post on a 12 page thread. Of course I'm not familiar with their current offerings, hence the questions. Have a good day!
Hey Dude, the whole point of the threads is to have information there to read and learn from. Take the time to read the threads and you will become well educated about Realdoll. And you might spend a click to check out the Rd website, just a thought....
A never ending parade of beautiful Realdolls and of course, HARMONY!!

Luiskjr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Luiskjr »

Let me add that Abyss Realdolls dont look mature at all, they look as young as anyone could expect, faces that can pass for an 18 year old up to 28

On bodies there are petite configs and light weight. Faces have a strong jaw to accommodate electronics that is true.

I disagree upon the priority of articulated fingers? thats not a big deal. Its a detail of lesser importance IMHO

Having said that although I dream to be still alive when decent sex robots are available, by all means the future we expect... Im not accepting anything different from Rachel of Blade Runner.

This means a sex robot if its going to have any robot feature it MUST be silent, natural, convincingly human.

Otherwise is just a kids toy.
Eyes that make noise while blinking, heads the turn making mechanical noises, are all turn-offs for any romantic or sexual immersion. Worst side of this is repetition.

I know the pioneer factor and how things develop slowly but until then I see no point on interacting with a sort of "battery operated" toy.

Remember when we were kids, there were two periods. In toddler age, we love any toy that moves and have color lights flashing. Toy cars, remember?

Press a control remote and it moves in circles. The toy is also unrealistic in shape and scale.

Then when we grow up slightly we might still love toy cars only now we are more demanding. (less naive, less childish)

The car must be realistically to scale of a model, usually miniatures so you can have a full collection. Each model has all the details of a real car. No batteries, nothing electronic. Doors and trunk open manually. The car moves using a hand, imagination and fantasy.

Same with dolls. An experient doll lover, a truly doll fan, in love or married to his doll, wont accept any of this electronics stuff in the current state.

They might buy a Realdoll because of their excellent quality.

To me the most important improvement all dolls are needing (including China), is a much much softer doll. Softer in areas where humans are soft: cheeks, forearms, thighs, tummy, not to mention butt, they need to waggle more.

Manufacturers prefer a material density that is firm because it keeps durability and shape, but efforts need to come with softer tpe and silicone to be closer to a real human body
Im kind of like Larry David, speak my mind and that offends some but thats how I am
1965-1978 Long Pillow
1980 Inflatable
2016 Plush Doll
2020 Irontech Torso Mira
Starpery TPE 172F Wayne Winstead and Rozanne, Starpery Silicone Nathalia 165D

Dollfriend
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: TPE Land, just a few miles east of Silicone Valley...

Post by Dollfriend »

As far as I know RD is the original pioneer of this entire concept of lifelike sexdolls, and yes they have survived the competition from Asia where all others have not, this alone is enough to give them all the consideration in my book... :D

Supersoul
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Supersoul »

Objectively speaking, having had the newest piece of doll innovation and technology in the industry delivered a week ago and also having 4 Real Dolls in my care, I have in my mind answered the question 'is Abyss falling behind?'. Yes... And why it may not actually matter.

This new doll is at the cutting edge of doll material science, skeleton advances etc.. I hate to say it but she is every bit as good as my Real Dolls if not better in many regards. I guess stagnation in innovation will eventually catch up with you, even if you are the perceived industry benchmark. I won't go into too much detail in this thread only to say things like articulated fingers really are far superior to wires in both posing and finger protection IMHO, are they fragile? I am guessing so as doll fingers seem to be by default and should be treated as such, but not having to force soft silicon against hard wires, being able to very easily move and pose the fingers (with a much more realistic result) will save a lot of damage from occurring, they are too easy to pose, that is one area where most of the damage has occurred to my Real Dolls fingers, from posing them. Posing the eyes for example, very easy just using your finger, lots of little things that are the obvious result of a hungry team driven to create a better product... Will she last the 12 years that my original Body A has lasted? Well, it is actually irrelevant as she was under a quarter of the price, so even if she only lasts 3 years I'm still ahead and I get the feeling she will well outlast that.

Now, why it might not actually matter. Real Dolls are still a fantastic product and are unique in their own right. If you actually get the opportunity to have one in your care aren't you blessed? Yes you are. I absolutely love my Real Dolls, they have provided me many years of pleasure and pride and I don't regret this journey at all, but is the lack of innovation catching up on them? I think it is. But again it just may not matter, Real Dolls are in their own bubble and they are what they are, most people wanting a high end sex doll would give their left nut to own one and rightly so.

SQLMan
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by SQLMan »

Supersoul wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:37 am Objectively speaking, having had the newest piece of doll innovation and technology in the industry delivered a week ago and also having 4 Real Dolls in my care, I have in my mind answered the question 'is Abyss falling behind?'. Yes... And why it may not actually matter.

This new doll is at the cutting edge of doll material science, skeleton advances etc.. I hate to say it but she is every bit as good as my Real Dolls if not better in many regards. I guess stagnation in innovation will eventually catch up with you, even if you are the perceived industry benchmark. I won't go into too much detail in this thread only to say things like articulated fingers really are far superior to wires in both posing and finger protection IMHO, are they fragile? I am guessing so as doll fingers seem to be by default and should be treated as such, but not having to force soft silicon against hard wires, being able to very easily move and pose the fingers (with a much more realistic result) will save a lot of damage from occurring, they are too easy to pose, that is one area where most of the damage has occurred to my Real Dolls fingers, from posing them. Posing the eyes for example, very easy just using your finger, lots of little things that are the obvious result of a hungry team driven to create a better product... Will she last the 12 years that my original Body A has lasted? Well, it is actually irrelevant as she was under a quarter of the price, so even if she only lasts 3 years I'm still ahead and I get the feeling she will well outlast that.

Now, why it might not actually matter. Real Dolls are still a fantastic product and are unique in their own right. If you actually get the opportunity to have one in your care aren't you blessed? Yes you are. I absolutely love my Real Dolls, they have provided me many years of pleasure and pride and I don't regret this journey at all, but is the lack of innovation catching up on them? I think it is. But again it just may not matter, Real Dolls are in their own bubble and they are what they are, most people wanting a high end sex doll would give their left nut to own one and rightly so.
What doll are you referring to that you got a week ago? I have 4 realdolls myself and wouldn't mind another option while I'm waiting for Abyss to catch up on production.

INFORMATIONS