Starpery.com

DIY TPE machine.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: DIY TPE machine.

Post by Wheezer »

E-Liz94 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:39 pm From what I've read it mostly looks like repairs of preexisting builds, involves glue, etc.
For your sake, and that of those around you, don't just read about it, actually DO it.
Theory and reality are not the same thing.

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Nackers
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Nackers »

Here are a couple links about toxicity/health risks from a quick google:
https://www.quora.com/Does-TPE-thermopl ... hen-heated
https://www.uniplasinc.com/wp-content/u ... E_MSDS.pdf
https://pdb.kraiburg-tpe.com/tpepdb/saf ... s&t=TF5CGN

I think the key point is in the quora link. It shouldn't be a problem if it's *pure* TPE. But without knowing whether there are other additives it's hard to say whether there is a larger risk. Even with pure TPE there is still a risk that it can irritate airways even if it's not toxic (second link). And of course it's molten plastic that's well above boiling point and will stick to you like napalm if you make a mistake. So care needs to be taken. Mask/ventilator, protective clothes and definitely googles (molten plastic in the eyeball would not be fun).

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Good thing about posting specific health links, but it might be pointless.
I doubt he will read it or understand it.

TDF has multiple threads about heating, melting and casting TPE and those mention smoke and fumes.
He was even given a DIRECT LINK that explains the reasons for TPE fumes and how to avoid it.
Yet after all that his position is:
E-Liz94 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:56 am Also don't know why people keep saying TPE can emit toxic fumes. It can possibly put particulates in the air, but thats it.
He either knows way more about everything than anyone else,
believes what he wants to believe in spite of information to the contrary,
or is just a troll.

I not sure which one it is. :)

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

Nackers
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Nackers »

I dunno, some people just get blase about the risks because they've never hurt themself before. I saw the same sort of behaviour from my father. He started off being really careful when welding or doing oxy-cutting or angle grinding. But over the years because he'd never had a problem he got lazy and stopped bothering with protective gear. Two separate incidents saw him get a sliver of hot metal in the eye and splashed his foot with molten metal from the oxy-cutting. He went back to safety gear after that. :roll:

I wouldn't suggest to E-Liz94 that they shouldn't do their project, but I do hope they take care and exercise good safety precautions.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Perhaps he is as you say, blissfully ignorant of the risks since he has never been bitten.
And yet ...

While a lot of inventors think up wild ideas and doll plans, those who start or talk up a build a lot usually have some gear or stuff.
They typically show it since they are proud of what they have done or are about to do.
But not so in this case.
However he did explain a bit of where he was going HERE (viewtopic.php?t=172412)

Just pretty odd.
Cheers!
... W ...

Dahlman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dahlman »

Interesting. I'd like to make a few tpe items. So ill follow this, and will have questions where to source tpe. As far as building a whole doll....I may....it will be tin silicone. I do sculpture as a side line, and use smooth on products. No heat involved. Use molds over and over. Extreme detail. I'll start with silicon heads. Like to one that looks 45 to 50 years old. My thoughts. So keep us posted!

E-Liz94
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by E-Liz94 »

I thought there was something toxic about tin cure silicone?

DaX2037

Post by DaX2037 »

@E-Liz94 What country is your supplier in? I'm thinking up a DIY injection device and might want to buy when I run out of recycled tpe.

E-Liz94
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by E-Liz94 »

My project is still on the drawing board, haven't had the time or funds to push through the next phases. Though I do have my induction cooktop and a 10 gallon pot with a predrilled hole. Also have the hips joints built, but I don't have the structural piping for the rest of the skeleton.

The TPE supplier I'm looking at is in the US, they're called Douglas AND Sturgess. They have TPE in 00-34, 00-24 and 00-16. I believe they also have silicone for those interested, though I didn't look at the prices or options.

Seth UK

Post by Seth UK »

Why?

There's an ample selection of TPE dolls, torso's and other toys available on the market and they come in all shapes and sizes. I don't understand why anyone would go through the hassle of trying to manufacture their own.

Good luck with it.

DaX2037

Post by DaX2037 »

Seth UK wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:17 pm Why?

There's an ample selection of TPE dolls, torso's and other toys available on the market and they come in all shapes and sizes. I don't understand why anyone would go through the hassle of trying to manufacture their own.

Good luck with it.
Sometimes it's just about having fun. When I saw this thread, I was in the planning phase of my own "TPE injector" which I want to use to inject molten TPE into various cavities.

I'm at the point where I know how I want to build it and now I need to buy the electronic components so I can pre-build and test the systems before building the injector and testing that out.

To you, it may be a hassle, but for me(degree in Engineering) and some others, we legitimately get excited about doing things like this.

E-Liz94
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by E-Liz94 »

DaX2037 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:08 pm
Sometimes it's just about having fun. When I saw this thread, I was in the planning phase of my own "TPE injector" which I want to use to inject molten TPE into various cavities.

I'm at the point where I know how I want to build it and now I need to buy the electronic components so I can pre-build and test the systems before building the injector and testing that out.

To you, it may be a hassle, but for me(degree in Engineering) and some others, we legitimately get excited about doing things like this.
Depending on how crazy you're willing to go with electronics, alibaba has the ring shaped heating elements and some injection mold parts.

Apec23

Post by Apec23 »

E-Liz94 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:49 am
DaX2037 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:08 pm

Depending on how crazy you're willing to go with electronics, alibaba has the ring shaped heating elements and some injection mold parts.

👀 ou?

I’m now debating on melting down my tpe collection to see if I can use it as belly filler/breast filler. I saw one fellow on twitter make some wild breast forms apparently from recycled tpe
YL158 ( Z cups and Belly coming soon!)
R3

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

You CAN melt down excess TPE, alter the blend to make it softer and then attempt to use it as filler.

But then the real concern is the injected softer TPE goop blend may react with the TPE that surrounds it.
With a potential result being that the thin breast material may also turn into softer TPE goop. :(
You would then go from a filled TPE breast to a gooey TPE body blob.
If you DO go that route, then do some testing on other TPE first to check the results.

There is a reason that fill material is either inert to the surrounding TPE or encapsulated.

Just something to consider.
Cheers!
... W ...

Bunnyboybob
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Bunnyboybob »

Why not just buy a torso, and have some fun. Then if you're impressed, go ahead with your experiment.
People ask me if I'm all right?
I plainly tell them, "I'm half left, actually."

INFORMATIONS