Starpery.com

DIY TPE machine.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
E-Liz94
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

DIY TPE machine.

Post by E-Liz94 »

I'm trying to make a TPE doll myself but as I understand it that its usually better to have a machine that essentially forces it into the mold at high pressure. But I think with a large amount of material, I think gravity will suffice if proper steps such as preheating anything that can potentially precool the TPE.

The plan I have in mind is to have a induction compatible metal container for heating the pellets with an induction heater. The container will most likely a hopper or pot of some sort with an all metal valve assembly at the bottom. A sanitized steel auger will be most likely be used to ensure mixing and temperature distribution. Valve assembly, doll skeleton and mold will be blasted at 500 degrees with heat gun before valve is opened.

Thoughts of the community to my madness or any other mad scientists out there?

chippyminton

Re: DIY TPE machine.

Post by chippyminton »

I can’t pretend to understand a word of the above - but I wish you luck in your endeavours.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

How many dolls are you planning to make ?
Just wondering a since you could easily spend 20x the cost of one doll just getting that gear to make a single one yourself. :)

TPE is not a good heat conductor, so melting it is not just dump in a heat up.
Likewise getting it into small details is tricky, it cools fast and blocks passages.
You probably need to do some research on raw TPE, temperature profiles, compositions to adjust softness and some other stuff first.

A good start is to review the topic HERE (viewtopic.php?t=157827) and do some searching on TDF.

Good luck.
Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

E-Liz94
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by E-Liz94 »

I actually found TPE that heats up around the 300s. I already bought a 40 qt stockpot that is induction ready and plan on purchasing an induction stovetop towards the end of the month.

The supplier I found sells 00 shore grade by the gallon buckets. I think I'm going to make a stiff under layer first, also to dry run test the process by just making pipe coverings.

NoFrillsmoreFrills

Post by NoFrillsmoreFrills »

Anyway, now I'm curious how it ends. good luck with it. Above all, avoid an accident, because you quickly underestimate the weight and the heat.

Zephyrus
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Zephyrus »

From what I've seen, doll manufacturers don't use pressure, they just pour the material into a mould and let it sit.
For example https://youtu.be/Ppa14igVPmU?t=84
and I'm sure I've seen similar at TPE manufacturer videos.

E-Liz94
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by E-Liz94 »

Yes. I'm not making a intricate shape, its a torso with thighs. Pressure seems more likely to make a more sophisticated shape. I'm not worried about defects from pouring, though that depending on what route I go with on the inside portion.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

E-Liz94 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:51 am I actually found TPE that heats up around the 300s. I already bought a 40 qt stockpot that is induction ready and plan on purchasing an induction stovetop towards the end of the month.

The supplier I found sells 00 shore grade by the gallon buckets. I think I'm going to make a stiff under layer first, also to dry run test the process by just making pipe coverings.
FWIW you can adjust the final softness of your TPE blend by adding a SMALL amount of mineral oil to the molten raw TPE pellets.
You don't need much so add cast and test until you get what you like.

You can also adjust color of the final mix by adding a VERY SMALL amount of artist grade oil paint to the melted TPE.
Only a small amount is needed. Add color slowly, since you really can't go lighter unless you add more non colored TPE.
Also since artist grade oil paint contains oil (duh), it is best to color first then adjust softness if needed.

Not sure about the "00 shore grade" TPE. That is a method of measurement, like Celsius or Fahrenheit.
The actual rating on the 00 shore grade scale will give you an idea of the theoretical softness.
You might want to start with a 60-70 on that scale and final soften down from there.
Starting too low, say a 0 rating, would give you a Gummy bear level soft sex doll.

Ultra soft TPE may sound nice but has a lot of problems in real life. Search TDF for some recent issues.
It tends to have stability issues, easy of crack/tear/damage and typically a lower melt point than harder blends.
A supplier will sell you anything for him to make money, it's up to you to select the correct material for your application.

Good luck.
... W ...
durometer_chart.jpg
durometer_chart.jpg (69.31 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

E-Liz94
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by E-Liz94 »

The company I plan on buying from has shore 00-36, shore 00-24 and shore 00-16. 36 being the best of the 3 for the majority of the build, 24 possible for breast filler.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Glad they gave you some raw TPE options.

Before buying a big bulk lot, you might want to get some samples of the 00-36 to get the feel once actually cast.
Real humans have meat and bones under the skin, dolls do not.
If the TPE is too soft then when you grab her your fingers just sink in.
The result is not a sex doll but a soft blob of mucus shaped like a female torso.

Ewww !

However your core might compensate for this.
Casting some blocks and shapes for tactile testing would be a good idea.
As with ordering a batch of raw TPE stuff two grades firmer at the same time.
Thus if you need to adjust the TPE blend firmer. you just mix in a bit of the firmer TPE.

Cheers!
... W ...

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Make sure your medical insurance is paid up and don't forget to wear a respirator for the toxic fumes.

RK :roll:
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

rubherkitty wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:29 am Make sure your medical insurance is paid up and don't forget to wear a respirator for the toxic fumes.

RK :roll:
Yes, I'm not sure how this will all work out.

There will be a LOT of very hot molten TPE involved and that can get ugly fast.
Hopefully he will figure out that maybe it is best to start small, do some sample molding and melting before an entire torso.

No different than your first time "in the sack".
Probably best to start with one cutie in the back of your car as a first time, rather than trying to do the entire cheerleader squad for your first squirt.
In both cases, attempting too much too fast can end up with some damaged body parts.

Cheers!
... W ...

E-Liz94
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by E-Liz94 »

Working on a controlled pouring system. I bought two adjustable support rod brackets, also intend on putting a hinge at the base of the dumping platform which is 2 solid pieces of wood.

Also don't know why people keep saying TPE can emit toxic fumes. It can possibly put particulates in the air, but thats it.

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

E-Liz94 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:56 am Also don't know why people keep saying TPE can emit toxic fumes. It can possibly put particulates in the air, but thats it.
A this point in your efforts, you should know fully well why people say that.

The information is here on TDF and you been even been directed to specific resources.
Melting TPE can and will generate toxic fumes if not done correctly.
Do some research for your own safety.

Looking forward to your progress.
Cheers!
... W ...

E-Liz94
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by E-Liz94 »

From what I've read it mostly looks like repairs of preexisting builds, involves glue, etc.

INFORMATIONS