www.yourdoll.com

Anyone tailor their own doll clothing?

Clothing, footwear, hats, gloves, jewelry, etc. Store bought, modified and handmade.
bigjohn2501
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anyone tailor their own doll clothing?

Post by bigjohn2501 »

I was looking at possibly doing some tailoring on some clothing, since it's impossible to find things that fit naturally, and I was curious if many here did any of that? I've done some basic work with a sewing machine for some other projects in the past, but never tried anything as complex as clothing....

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Anyone tailor their own doll clothing?

Post by Mr Franz »

I go for proportionate figures, so my gals are pretty easy to find clothes for. I have done some minor alterations though, to make larger things fit better and resized a bra or two. Nothing major. All hand sewing.

bigjohn2501
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bigjohn2501 »

that's kind of what I was looking to do as well, and thankfully my doll is mostly proportionate. I was thinking to start out on some cheap tank tops or things like that so I'm not ruining expensive tops or things like that :lol:

The Doll Advocate
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Doll Advocate »

Tank tops are easy, because they stretch like crazy .
My girls wear them like short body con dresses.
20230623_221400.jpg
20230623_221400.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 883 times
20221212_142900.jpg
20221212_142900.jpg (110.98 KiB) Viewed 883 times

Panties are also easy if you only get her low waisted briefs
20230313_114943.jpg
20230313_114943.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 883 times
Bras are really the only thing I've had to modify.

And I just cut off the clasps ,cut off the difference if the bra band and the dolls under bust ,and sew the clasps to the new ends .
If you get underwire bras ,I highly recommend removing the wires .
20230423_201743.jpg
20230423_201743.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 883 times
But your absolute most important thing is wash everything a few times before putting on your doll .
Dark colors always pose the potential to stain doll skin.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Tools for quick no-sew alterations. :D
No_Sew.JPG
No_Sew.JPG (49.51 KiB) Viewed 874 times

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

There is one unique clothing I'd like to tailor, but I just don't have the skills or really the time. What I'm thinking of doing is buy a couple of similar items and combine them.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

bigjohn2501
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bigjohn2501 »

Ah, thanks for the suggestions! Thankfully my doll isn't too bad for sizing, so things like panties and bras actually fit if you get the right size, but things like tops and whatnot tend to fit a bit funny sometimes.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Ami is a WM158D .Best fit is UK size 6 or xs.
Try finding that these days.
I'll alter bra straps and knickers,but that's about the limit of my abilities.
IMG_20230211_111728.jpg
IMG_20230211_111728.jpg (3.88 MiB) Viewed 838 times
IMG_20230614_145416.jpg
IMG_20230614_145416.jpg (5.14 MiB) Viewed 838 times
These were the last 2 that I modified, all of the straps had to be shortened.
I usually get Ami to model the garments and take measurements or pin them and then remove them to cut and sew.
I got a bit cocky with the grey set and cut the knickers too short. She has to wiggle a bit to get them on, but theyre okay when in position.
My old engineering tutor always used to say, 'Measure many times, cut once.'
Very true. 🙄
Tyr.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

Tailor
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Tailor »

Yes indeed, here is a bespoke snooker outfit I sewed for my 80cm doll in the finest of materials. These are wool trousers, white cotton shirt, wool waistcoat with silk back and the obligatory bow tie. The cuff links are made of copper wire.
But you probably mean alteration tailoring right? :wink:

Come to think of it, I haven't made any alterations tailoring yet. Most dolls' measurements are so far outside ready-to-wear clothing that major changes are needed, usually you want to make as small changes as possible.
A change in one place can change the rest of the fit in a complicated way.
I don't have much experience and alteations tailoring is difficult and requires a lot of experience to get a perfect fit, but we really don't need to strive for a perfect fit just something better than before is enough.
Claire pre Snooker game.jpg
Claire pre Snooker game.jpg (5.12 MiB) Viewed 812 times
Claire Snooker.png
Claire Snooker.png (11.42 MiB) Viewed 812 times
Jade: SM 148cm
Claire: JM New Tree Elf 80cm
Mi-Soo: Starpery 171cm A

AtomicPunk

Post by AtomicPunk »

Mr Franz wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:33 pm Tools for quick no-sew alterations. :D
No_Sew.JPG
I have a sewing machine, but I'm of the Mr F gadget clan. Paper clamps are my goto alterations gadget. I think I gravitate towards clamping for photos because one day her clothes may be sold or donated ---- and they can still fit a real person.

-- The AtomicPunk --
** Alita ** WM 157cm B - #368 || The Life of Alita (link) Alita's Instagram (link) || Visit LIFEOFALITA.COM (link) || Alita's YouTube (link)

bigjohn2501
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bigjohn2501 »

Damn, that looks good! I imagine that was no small bit of effort!
Tailor wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:51 am Yes indeed, here is a bespoke snooker outfit I sewed for my 80cm doll in the finest of materials. These are wool trousers, white cotton shirt, wool waistcoat with silk back and the obligatory bow tie. The cuff links are made of copper wire.
But you probably mean alteration tailoring right? :wink:

Come to think of it, I haven't made any alterations tailoring yet. Most dolls' measurements are so far outside ready-to-wear clothing that major changes are needed, usually you want to make as small changes as possible.
A change in one place can change the rest of the fit in a complicated way.
I don't have much experience and alteations tailoring is difficult and requires a lot of experience to get a perfect fit, but we really don't need to strive for a perfect fit just something better than before is enough.

Claire pre Snooker game.jpgClaire Snooker.png

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Claire looks so cool in those clothes 👍😊
Tyr.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

hieligekoe

Post by hieligekoe »

I alter about 80 percent of the clothes I buy for my doll. I started out with simple things like tube tops and skirts, but now I have figured out how to alter jeans, dresses, and shirts as well. When I bought a doll, I never imagined I'd be spending hours working at a sewing machine. It's definitely been a learning process. But it's worth it when a pair of shorts or something arrives and it looks too baggy. You can make a poor fitting article of clothing become something that actually looks pretty good. Of course, my tailoring skills are very amateur, and I wouldn't dare see anything that was actually going to be worn in public by an actual person.
My dolls:
Genevieve / Delilah - WM 140D: viewtopic.php?t=166375
Kailani / Maria - WM 164J: viewtopic.php?t=177461
Emily / Lisa - SE Doll 157H: viewtopic.php?t=177463

JohnGold
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by JohnGold »

The Doll Advocate wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:09 pm If you get underwire bras ,I highly recommend removing the wires .20230423_201743.jpg

But your absolute most important thing is wash everything a few times before putting on your doll .
Wow nice doll you have there.

Are there any brand for especially dark clothings which are less prone to bleed in the tpe?

Does it have a certain reason why you recommend to remove the underwires from a bra, beside the possibility for damaging the skin? I actually used them for my bustier dolls when in standing position so they won't giving too much force down from the breasts. Hope that wasn't a bad idea...

And umm... Is it okay to ask which brand and body plus head your shown doll with the black bra at the bathroom is?

The Doll Advocate
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Doll Advocate »

JohnGold wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:27 am
The Doll Advocate wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:09 pm If you get underwire bras ,I highly recommend removing the wires .20230423_201743.jpg

Wow nice doll you have there.

Are there any brand for especially dark clothings which are less prone to bleed in the tpe?

Does it have a certain reason why you recommend to remove the underwires from a bra, beside the possibility for damaging the skin? I actually used them for my bustier dolls when in standing position so they won't giving too much force down from the breasts. Hope that wasn't a bad idea...

And umm... Is it okay to ask which brand and body plus head your shown doll with the black bra at the bathroom is?
Thank you, I am quite fond of Mia.
As for her make ,I bought her used and I was told
She was bought from a website called "cutesexdolls.com" and she can be searched for using the name " bbw carla".
Now having said that the website is very suspicious and many members here say the site is a rip off selling low quality ,counterfeit dolls.
I'm not saying they are or aren't. Just sharing what I was told .

As for underwires ,I take them out because dolls don't need the support that women do .
And the wires don't allow the bras cup to snug against her underbust and dosent look right.
Also makes washing easier.
I showed that picture of her in a bra so it could be seen clearly how the band rests against her underbust line. If you notice many other members who post similar pictures ( especially the larger breast dolls) ,you'll notice the bands rarely touch the underbust if it's an underwire.
Long story short, removing the wires allow the cups to form to the body MUCH better !

As for brands , most of her underwear is Victoria secret . But only because that's what my wife likes , and when she lost all her weight .
She gave me all her bras that didn't fit her anymore.
I've never had one transfer color ,so I'd go on a limb and say Victoria secret is pretty safe .
There ar a few threads on TDF pertaining to color transfer and staining.
From what I've read, it's less the brands and more the material .
I have found polyester is horrible at transfer.
But older clothing that has been washed many times is safer than a new garment .
I'll never put a new garment on my dolls with out washing at least 5 times.
Hope this helps!!!

INFORMATIONS