www.yourdoll.com

Home-made clothes

Clothing, footwear, hats, gloves, jewelry, etc. Store bought, modified and handmade.
Ant999

Home-made clothes

Post by Ant999 »

I have had Geniece for 3 months now, and within the first month I was fed-up with store-bought clothes that do not fit her properly. Children's sizes for the bottom, but none accommodate the difference between her hips and waist, because children do not have hourglass figures. XS woman's sizes for the top, tight over her small but well-rounded boobies, and still too big elsewhere, usually too long. The only way to make clothes fit well, was to make them myself. Some were more successful than others, but here are descriptions and pictures of my efforts so far. As always, the frustrating difference between what the mind can visualize and what the hands can make!

The first item is a set of fluffy winter pj's, made from Mongolian fleece, already mentioned in an earlier post. I worked entirely from imagination and a few basic measurements, so the pants are a bit tight between the legs, especially with her legs bent. The top fits better, it was deliberately made double-breasted, so that I could sew on press studs in the right places, after ensuring that it fitted comfortably.
Winterpjs.jpg
Winterpjs.jpg (63.68 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Next I made an off-the-shoulder dress from stretch velvet. The fabric is available in some really rich colors, but with TPE's tendency to absorb colors, I went for a pale gold. The pattern provides instructions on how to make it for a particular body's measurements, although some adjustment may be necessary. Found at https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/b ... -tutorials, if anyone wants to try it.
Velvet1.jpg
Velvet1.jpg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Relaxing in the late afternoon sun, highlighting the fabric texture.
Relaxing in the late afternoon sun, highlighting the fabric texture.
Velvet2.jpg (42.46 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
The babydoll was designed by looking at pictures of stuff available at online stores, and a few basic measurements. The white lace was bought, the sheer fabric for the lower part is from late mother-in-law's box of scraps. It is made from red fibers in one direction and blue in the perpendicular direction, so quite fun to watch the play of light on it, but the phone camera cannot do it justice. Fastens at the back, with 2 sets of press studs.
Babydoll.jpg
Babydoll.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Next I bought half a meter each of white and blue Lycra, to make a bikini. I decided to make a "dummy run" using stretch fabric from the offcuts box again, Lycra costs too much to make mistakes. The basic design for the bikini top can be found on Youtube, https://youtu.be/809reMCNwCc. It is said that you can tie it in 17 different ways, I have tried 4. I changed the basic wineglass shape pattern into a Y shape, the wineglass shape is good for relatively flat-chested girls. Geniece is small overall but quite well-rounded, so an unshaped bikini top won't do. Everything is held together with slightly stretchy white string. I still have to pluck up the courage to repeat all of this with the Lycra. It will be somewhat different, because it is meant to be reversible, white against her skin for longer times, blue only for short times. Bikini bottom: some width measurements, at regular distances to the front and back, from a convenient reference point (use your imagination!). Basically two triangles as big or small as you like, held together by a narrow straight part, and corners of the front and back triangles tied together on her hips, with more white string. At my first attempt, the back triangle was way too small, after all, my girl is naughty, not slutty!
Toptwoways.jpg
Toptwoways.jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Bikinifrontnback.jpg
Bikinifrontnback.jpg (121.89 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
The next design was very little work: how to wrap a woman in one long, narrow piece of fabric. Another scrap box special, almost 4 meters of stretchy fabric, I don't know what it is called. Start with the middle of the piece behind her neck, down the front and through her crotch, tied in a knot behind her back to stop it from splitting, and around her waist to a knot or bow at the front. Another variation: Start behind her neck as before, cross over at the front, over her breasts and then around the sides to pass through her crotch from back to front, knotted at the front to stop the two strands from splitting, and ending in a knot or bow behind her back. More variations are possible, fun for the future.
The top one asks: Wanna play?
The top one asks: Wanna play?
Strapfront.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Strapback.jpg
Strapback.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Next, a very colorful top, similar to the bikini top, but made from two triangles of non-stretch fabric from the scraps box, so needing some shaping, and not fitting as well as the stretchy fabric. I think the yellow and orange go well with blue denim.
Yellowtop.jpg
Yellowtop.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
The latest design was made from a piece of pink silk, also from the scraps box. It had a tear on one side and a line defect the whole length of it, so I had to plan carefully, to at least make a set of short summer pj's out of it. I measured a denim short and added a bit all around, to get a basic pattern, that would fit her comfortably. Simple elastic to hold it snug around her waist, something the denim short cannot do. Only a 50 x 40 centimeter rectangle was left after making the shorts, so the top needed some imaginative planning. I cut a piece of paper to the size of the fabric, cut it diagonally into 2 triangles, and then fitted the paper triangles to cover the most necessary parts of her. One of the pictures shows the paper triangles hanging loosely over her, to test the principle. Fortunately it was possible to fit each triangle with its longest edge going over her shoulders, one from the back and one from the front. The upper tips are sewn to the edges of the adjoining triangle, the lower corners are fastened with my favorite, press studs, under her arms. This makes for an interesting asymmetric top that is easy to fit or remove over her head, no need to battle her arms through sleeves, and with enough opportunity for wandering hands to enter, without removing it ;-)).
Willitwork.jpg
Willitwork.jpg (76.21 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Summersilkfrontnback.jpg
Summersilkfrontnback.jpg (115.21 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
I still have to figure out a way to make her a bra, because as said in an earlier post, good luck to anyone hoping to buy a 26C in any store.

Taeyeon
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Home-made clothes

Post by Taeyeon »

Hello Ant999,

Geniece is very cute and your clothes so nice!
I wish I could also make clothes like you.
My favourite is bikini and pyjama^^

Image Image

TaeYeon
(。ᵔᵔ。) SooYoung's pages (DS/Ex-lite/Sino T158) and album

사랑은 그저 사랑이다. 절대 설명 될 수 없다.
Love is just love. It can never be explained.

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

Hello TaeYeon

I see musical instruments in your album, and if you can learn to play music, learning to sew should be easy. I am also not an expert at making clothes, so I look for simple shapes to start, then I can gain confidence to try more complicated things. And practice with newspaper and sticky tape, before you cut any fabric.

Mister Bungle 157
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Mister Bungle 157 »

Very nice work. :thumbs_up: Its a big plus when you have sewing skills. I use an old Singer machine to do basic alterations, but haven't tried to make anything from scratch. Thanks for the photos..... they give me some ideas.... :wink:

gogodolls
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by gogodolls »

WOW! Very nice work Ant999! 📐🧵 You are very skillful! :thumbs_up:

BRAVO! 👏👏👏
Cheers! :glou:
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

My Scrapbook: viewtopic.php?t=165313
Breast Surgery: viewtopic.php?t=161581

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Cool! :thumbs_up:

I modify (tailor) existing clothes sometimes, but have never made anything from scratch for my full size dolls. The hardest part about sewing for me is, threading the needle! :mrgreen:

Joe 90
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe 90 »

This is ingenious I like what you have done here.
The Puppeteer...
Daniella jiggle wiggle.. :puppydogeyes:

viewtopic.php?p=2144328#p2144328

Aiko my anime girl..
viewtopic.php?t=115753

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

Mister Bungle 157 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:29 pm Very nice work. :thumbs_up: Its a big plus when you have sewing skills. I use an old Singer machine to do basic alterations, but haven't tried to make anything from scratch. Thanks for the photos..... they give me some ideas.... :wink:
It's probably good that you have an old Singer, it is probably more robust than a modern plastic thing like mine. What I would most like to alter, is this denim short, it looks great from the front, but the back does not even touch. That is the problem with bought clothes, it is a child's size 7-8, and takes a mild struggle to get over her hips, but is loose around her waist. My entry level modern machine will probably damage itself on double layers of denim, it will have to be done by hand, probably darts behind the two belt loops on the sides. Any suggestions welcome.
Denimfront.jpg
Denimfront.jpg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Denimback.jpg
Denimback.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 1406 times

Socratus
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Socratus »

Very good. You know your stuff.

There's a very unique costume I'd like to try for mine (when it arrives), but I have no clothing-making skill at all. Guess I'm gonna have to start learning.
I apologise for any late responses to users trying to communicate with me, as a certain Mod has decided he doesn't like how I talked in a particular post then decided to restrict me so I can post nothing without his permission. If I am banned for good, then best wishes to those I, and Aran, have met. May your futures with your dolls be good ones.

chippyminton

Post by chippyminton »

You have quite the talent there. Your clothes look great, and I wish I had those skills.

Well done to you.

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

Ant999 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:30 am
Mister Bungle 157 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:29 pm Very nice work. :thumbs_up: Its a big plus when you have sewing skills. I use an old Singer machine to do basic alterations, but haven't tried to make anything from scratch. Thanks for the photos..... they give me some ideas.... :wink:
It's probably good that you have an old Singer, it is probably more robust than a modern plastic thing like mine. What I would most like to alter, is this denim short, it looks great from the front, but the back does not even touch. That is the problem with bought clothes, it is a child's size 7-8, and takes a mild struggle to get over her hips, but is loose around her waist. My entry level modern machine will probably damage itself on double layers of denim, it will have to be done by hand, probably darts behind the two belt loops on the sides. Any suggestions welcome.
Denimfront.jpg
Denimback.jpg
The denim has been modified, with a dart next to each of the belt loops at the back. Done a long time ago, but I had difficulties posting for a long time. Fits a lot better now.
Moddenimshort.jpg
Moddenimshort.jpg (128.92 KiB) Viewed 1157 times

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

New development, so long in the pipeline, but spring is almost here, so today I started on the blue and white lycra string bikini. Same design as the pink one above, except it is two layers of fabric back-to-back, with the white folded over the blue at each end, to make the sleeves for the string to pass through. The front looks ok, at the back the fold-over is neat on the left but gets progressively narrower and creased towards the right, so tomorrow it will be unpicked and redone, it's not up to my (amateur) standard! The string is also just threaded through, not yet attached to the corners of the fabric, so there is not yet enough tension on the fabric to make it fit really smoothly, but here are some pics for starters.
IMG_20230810_164940.jpg
IMG_20230810_164940.jpg (50.8 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
IMG_20230810_164357.jpg
IMG_20230810_164357.jpg (62.85 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Man, that little a$$ is bad for my blood pressure!

soonpk
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by soonpk »

Beautiful clothing. I’ve often considered taking up sewing to make outfits for the girls but it’s harder than I thought. Great designs you done there. Bravo!
My Doll Photo Thread: viewtopic.php?t=162724 Check it out

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

Ant999 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:08 pm New development, so long in the pipeline, but spring is almost here, so today I started on the blue and white lycra string bikini. Same design as the pink one above, except it is two layers of fabric back-to-back, with the white folded over the blue at each end, to make the sleeves for the string to pass through. The front looks ok, at the back the fold-over is neat on the left but gets progressively narrower and creased towards the right, so tomorrow it will be unpicked and redone, it's not up to my (amateur) standard! The string is also just threaded through, not yet attached to the corners of the fabric, so there is not yet enough tension on the fabric to make it fit really smoothly, but here are some pics for starters.IMG_20230810_164940.jpg
IMG_20230810_164357.jpg
Man, that little a$$ is bad for my blood pressure!
Stretch fabrics like lycra and velvet are nice because they highlight the curves and are more forgiving if you get the size slightly wrong, but they are more difficult to work with, because they not only stretch, they're also slippery, and need zig-zag stitching, because zig-zag can stretch with the fabric, straight stitching inhibits it. So far getting my zig-zag stitching straight and uniform is just a dream, but at least the fold-over looks much better. Like this?
IMG_20230812_130456crop.jpg
IMG_20230812_130456crop.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 994 times

Ant999

Post by Ant999 »

soonpk wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:09 pm Beautiful clothing. I’ve often considered taking up sewing to make outfits for the girls but it’s harder than I thought. Great designs you done there. Bravo!
Thanks for the compliments, soonpk. To elaborate on something I said somewhere above a long time ago: my first goal is to find or imagine designs that are striking to look at but geometrically simple. This bikini is essentially triangles held together by string, and string for a good reason: the size of the triangles are not critical for fit, the string will take up the leeway, unless you are a perfectionist who wants the bows in the string to be of an exact size. (And you can cut the string shorter if you are!) The top of the pink satin summer pj's is also just two triangles, but oh man, is satin a pain to work with, slides all over the show, ruining all hopes of straight seams. But Geniece isn't vain or petty, it does not bug her if the clothes are not 100% perfect. And experiment with paper or plastic and sticky tape, to test out the idea, before you cut any fabric.

INFORMATIONS