teddy-babes.com

Anthro Teddy Babes - EW could dominate the market w/ these!

The place to discuss our plush companions made by Eighth Wonder LLC.
Invo
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Anthro Teddy Babes - EW could dominate the market w/ these!

Post by Invo »

Anthro and or 'Furry' content isn't for everyone. I wouldn't even consider myself anywhere near a furry, though I think most everyone has seen an anthro character before and thought 'well damn, theyre kind of cute'

Regardless, theres a huuuge market for anthro content, and specifically anthro dolls

Sites like BSP (Big Sexy Plush https://www.bigsexyplush.com/ ) do almost 100% furry dolls. This site isn't even a company; just a skilled individual who makes life sized plushies (both adult and PG) by themselves. They seem to have a backlog of orders a mile long, with their dolls selling for over $1000-$2000 each

That being said, with that much demand out there, it only seems natural for a proper company like Eighth Wonder to want to meet that supply.

We've seen in the past that EW has done both anime and halloween themed dolls. Dipping their toes into the furry doll market wouldn't just be in their wheelhouse, it would be a whole new market.

I have a fair amount of design experience; I'm a mech engineer by trade and tbh i can already see how this would work using a TB base.

What do you guys think?

Missionary
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Anthro Teddy Babes - EW could dominate the market w/ the

Post by Missionary »

8thW has been laying low in the past few months. Maybe they are working on some new products.
If you have a burning desire to manufacture a first class product, and have support, go for it.
Think it through and make a business plan. You'll need space, equipment, supplies and buyers.

Invo
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Invo »

Missionary wrote:8thW has been laying low in the past few months. Maybe they are working on some new products.
If you have a burning desire to manufacture a first class product, and have support, go for it.
Think it through and make a business plan. You'll need space, equipment, supplies and buyers.
Whos to say, maybe!

Regardless, I have nowhere near the manufacturing capabilities or resources, let alone time needed to develop a production line. I could layout the design w/ some technical drawings and have the capability to make a prototype, but its not like thats scalable as is.

But I wasn't saying that; I mean the whole point of the post was saying that 8th wonder could pull something like this off because of their knowhow and established resources making Teddy Babes.

Lmao, I mean I flat out say that even artesian plush maker struggles to keep up with demand and 8th wonder would be one of the only people to fill that space in the market, if you read the post

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Don't know about dominating the market, I think if EW entered the anthro-doll market, they'd have some pretty stiff competition right from the get go with VG's virtually limitless custom anthro offerings.

Invo
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Invo »

Mr Franz wrote:Don't know about dominating the market, I think if EW entered the anthro-doll market, they'd have some pretty stiff competition right from the get go with VG's virtually limitless custom anthro offerings.
I meeean VG's are fine and everything, but I'm not sure if they'd really stand as competition at this rate. Didn't even know they did anthro stuff, but even then, most of their models aren't exactly known for level of detail, which is kind of needed to produce anthro-dolls right and have them be appealing to a broader market.

Either way! From a business model perspective, what you lose in customization you gain in:

1. not having to wait in several month queues for custom made products
2. Having a reliable product from an established brand
3. considerably lower prices than most places like BSP because of scalability

Have a few base models like they do for the other 'specialty' TB's and bam, you have a reliable corner of the market established right off the bat.

Gaijin
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gaijin »

I don't think they are in a position to branch out into custom dolls anytime soon. :(

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Invo wrote:
Mr Franz wrote:Don't know about dominating the market, I think if EW entered the anthro-doll market, they'd have some pretty stiff competition right from the get go with VG's virtually limitless custom anthro offerings.
I meeean VG's are fine and everything, but I'm not sure if they'd really stand as competition at this rate. Didn't even know they did anthro stuff, but even then, most of their models aren't exactly known for level of detail, which is kind of needed to produce anthro-dolls right and have them be appealing to a broader market.

Either way! From a business model perspective, what you lose in customization you gain in:

1. not having to wait in several month queues for custom made products
2. Having a reliable product from an established brand
3. considerably lower prices than most places like BSP because of scalability

Have a few base models like they do for the other 'specialty' TB's and bam, you have a reliable corner of the market established right off the bat.
Well, can't go into detail here as that violates item 12 of TDF's ROC regarding comparing competing brands in manufacturer specific sections, but sounds like it's been a while since you've visited VG's site. Check them out, quality, detail and workmanship is on par with the best of them as is their turn around time and pricing.

Nothing against TB at all. I came very close to getting one. Just saying, for them to dominate the Anthro market, would take some doing, given the competition.

Check out Veronica and Dhila in my sig below.

Missionary
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Missionary »

In addition to the numerous models, 8thW does make limited amount of customization - hair, eyes, lips, clothing.
See how Elisa and Pamela look different with new hair.
You could send an email to Dave regarding your suggestions.
Yes. Teddy Babes are holding up pretty well.
Vicky and Tina are from 2013 and 2014, you recognize them with their full lips.
Lovely Babes. We will have new pictures soon.
Attachments
Elisa and Pamela.JPG
Elisa and Pamela.JPG (263.04 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Vicky and Tina.JPG
Vicky and Tina.JPG (132.04 KiB) Viewed 1580 times

Missionary
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Missionary »

Let me not forget our friends who love darker eyes and lips.
So many beautiful Babes, so little time.
Attachments
Cordelia and Audrey.JPG
Cordelia and Audrey.JPG (263.98 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

Invo
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Invo »

Gaijin wrote:I don't think they are in a position to branch out into custom dolls anytime soon. :(
Damn! How come? I'd think after the recent expansions off the Deluxe model they'd want to keep moving forward? Something going on that I'm missing?

Mr Franz wrote:Nothing against TB at all. I came very close to getting one. Just saying, for them to dominate the Anthro market, would take some doing, given the competition.

Check out Veronica and Dhila in my sig below.
Fair! Btw, I do think you did amazing(!) work with your Veronica model. Thing is though, that kind of shows that VG's still have a lot of room to grow. I mean I think your custom job is on par with most TB's and blows VG's out of the water. The big difference is the quality of the Evo Doll body and materials, but even just the added level of detail on the face goes a long way. Thankfully theyre not still at the 'watermelon head' stage that I've heard some people call them on the Discord, but between that and the fact that its still just one guy making them (right?) I do think Teddy Babes would have the edge

Invo
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Invo »

Missionary wrote:In addition to the numerous models, 8thW does make limited amount of customization - hair, eyes, lips, clothing.
See how Elisa and Pamela look different with new hair.
You could send an email to Dave regarding your suggestions.
Yes. Teddy Babes are holding up pretty well.
Vicky and Tina are from 2013 and 2014, you recognize them with their full lips.
Lovely Babes. We will have new pictures soon.
Haha, well these miiight be pushing the limits of their customization

After all, while the body base stitching can go widely unchanged, a new model for the heads would have to be introduced and faux/plush fur material would probably be used for the body.

Hell, it would lead to some new design opportunities for open mouth Teddy Babes though. Thats another small design change that tbh would be very possible

Gaijin
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gaijin »

Invo wrote:
Gaijin wrote:I don't think they are in a position to branch out into custom dolls anytime soon. :(
Damn! How come? I'd think after the recent expansions off the Deluxe model they'd want to keep moving forward? Something going on that I'm missing?

I'm not sure. I've heard that they had a fire in the last few years while I was away from the hobby, which affected their production/inventory. Also, 18 months of a global pandemic couldn't have been great for a small business like theirs. There's details I'm missing too.

When I had my devil girl doll made earlier this year, 8th Wonder was the first company I approached. Even something like a different colored fabric for the skin was unavailable. (Which, makes sense. If they aren't set up for custom jobs, the cost of new materials and inventory isn't practical for single orders.)

A lack of activity could mean many things, both good or bad. I love their products, and hope they stick around.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Invo wrote:Fair! Btw, I do think you did amazing(!) work with your Veronica model. Thing is though, that kind of shows that VG's still have a lot of room to grow. I mean I think your custom job is on par with most TB's and blows VG's out of the water. The big difference is the quality of the Evo Doll body and materials, but even just the added level of detail on the face goes a long way. Thankfully theyre not still at the 'watermelon head' stage that I've heard some people call them on the Discord, but between that and the fact that its still just one guy making them (right?) I do think Teddy Babes would have the edge
Thanks, it was actually the face I made for Veronica that inspired the new VG real head. I had been in communication with VG's owner prior, trying to come up with a way to incorporate realistic eyes into a plush. That's what ultimately lead up to a completely redesigned head using my inner core idea.

Had I purchased a TB, I was going to attempt to incorporate realistic eyes as well and do away with the eye patches. Not that there's anything wrong with them, I just prefer actual eyes. Ultimately, for reasons I won't go into here, I decided the Evo body would be better suited for the project.

Like TB, VG's numerous body types are outsourced and modified in-house. From what I understand, theirs is a husband and wife team with a small staff, shipping worldwide. I think the biggest advantage they would have is their willingness to listen and quickly act upon customer requests, making major modifications when needed. Something I think would be important in the Anthro market.

As is, TB has been rather slow to make changes to their product and even then, sticking with one basic unmodifiable body type. I remember exchanging emails with EW a while back and them flatly refusing to do all but very minor modifications for me. I actually started a poll here to get them to offer a brown deluxe and even though the poll showed majority interest, it was over a year before it ever happened. So idk.

Doing Anthros would mean altering everything. Body types, faces, materials, etc. Should they be willing to do that, who knows, maybe they could capture a large share of the Anthro market. I guess it's a question of how big that market really is and what TB is willing to do to capture it. Guess we'll see if and when that ever comes to pass.

Missionary
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Missionary »

I do not understand the problem. I have just checked the 8thW website. There are offering 25 models of the new rotating hip Deluxe models. In addition they have 3 models with silicon faces with open mouth to satisfy your desires for oral coupling, for a slightly higher price. Check it out.
If you have a good idea for a better Doll-business model, all you need is cash and perseverance. Go for it.
I am not into animal husbandry, so I am sticking with Cordelia and Audrey and Elisa and Pamela and Vicky and Tina and my other 18 lovely Babes. Life is good.

Invo
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Invo »

Gaijin wrote:I'm not sure. I've heard that they had a fire in the last few years while I was away from the hobby, which affected their production/inventory. Also, 18 months of a global pandemic couldn't have been great for a small business like theirs. There's details I'm missing too.

When I had my devil girl doll made earlier this year, 8th Wonder was the first company I approached. Even something like a different colored fabric for the skin was unavailable. (Which, makes sense. If they aren't set up for custom jobs, the cost of new materials and inventory isn't practical for single orders.)

A lack of activity could mean many things, both good or bad. I love their products, and hope they stick around.
Oh wow, didn't hear about the fire! Hopefully sales were steady through the pandemic though; after all, I think people being lonelier than ever on a massive scale would actually be a boost for business

I definitely get the limitations to customization. After all right now they probably only have a few sets of fabric and accessories. Still! They introduced the new Deluxes a few months into the pandemic, so they haven't been entirely stagnant! I do think this would be a nice direction that could breathe some funds into the company too
Mr Franz wrote: Thanks, it was actually the face I made for Veronica that inspired the new VG real head. I had been in communication with VG's owner prior, trying to come up with a way to incorporate realistic eyes into a plush. That's what ultimately lead up to a completely redesigned head using my inner core idea.

Had I purchased a TB, I was going to attempt to incorporate realistic eyes as well and do away with the eye patches. Not that there's anything wrong with them, I just prefer actual eyes. Ultimately, for reasons I won't go into here, I decided the Evo body would be better suited for the project.

Like TB, VG's numerous body types are outsourced and modified in-house. From what I understand, theirs is a husband and wife team with a small staff, shipping worldwide. I think the biggest advantage they would have is their willingness to listen and quickly act upon customer requests, making major modifications when needed. Something I think would be important in the Anthro market.

As is, TB has been rather slow to make changes to their product and even then, sticking with one basic unmodifiable body type. I remember exchanging emails with EW a while back and them flatly refusing to do all but very minor modifications for me. I actually started a poll here to get them to offer a brown deluxe and even though the poll showed majority interest, it was over a year before it ever happened. So idk.

Doing Anthros would mean altering everything. Body types, faces, materials, etc. Should they be willing to do that, who knows, maybe they could capture a large share of the Anthro market. I guess it's a question of how big that market really is and what TB is willing to do to capture it. Guess we'll see if and when that ever comes to pass.
Nice! Even better work then, because that redesign is definitively in the right direction. Maybe VG could take some more inspiration and look at the stitching patter of EVO Dolls as a basis.

If they could successfully pull off any anthro models, then I'm sure VG would be getting a new influx of business too, its just a matter of it they can pull it off.

And yeah, Idk! TB's definitely have the capability, but youre right, seeing if they'd actually be willing to tackle the change would make or break the situation after all. I mean I could redesign the base stitching pattern for the current TB pretty easily, but seeing if theyd be willing to capitalize on the idea is something else.
Missionary wrote: I do not understand the problem. I have just checked the 8thW website. There are offering 25 models of the new rotating hip Deluxe models. In addition they have 3 models with silicon faces with open mouth to satisfy your desires for oral coupling, for a slightly higher price. Check it out.
If you have a good idea for a better Doll-business model, all you need is cash and perseverance. Go for it.
I am sticking with Cordelia and Audrey and Elisa and Pamela and Vicky and Tina and my other 18 lovely Babes. Life is good.
Again, not the point of this thread haha. I've made it pretty clear that "Teddy Babes could have a big boom in sales if they took on the Furry Doll Market" and you've responded twice now with "Well why don't you make a business from the ground up and do it yourself?"

But thats literally the whole point, and why theres so limited supply in the first place despite crazy high demand: an established company like 8thW is capable of a lot more than what your average joe on the street is. Read: Even BSP can't keep up with demand because despite being highly skilled, theyre just the one person making all those dolls. 8thW is a company though with a lot more production capabilities. Small changes to the existing TB design would land them a cut of that sizable market, but that doesn't mean literally anyone can or should jumpstart their own production line obviously

INFORMATIONS