betterlovedoll.com

Scientific survey about dolls

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
Mcpesch
Student Account
Student Account

Scientific survey about dolls

Post by Mcpesch »

Dear Dollforum-Community,

I am Lasse Peschka a psychology student at the Uni Bamberg in Germany. Currently I do my master’s thesis on sex/love dolls. Aim of the study is to describe the interaction between sex/love dolls and their users. I don’t want to reproduce stereotypes, I want to hear your individual story of how you got your dolls, what it is like with dolls and what you generally think about the topic. I already heard some of your storys here at TDF and in a German forum. Some of you even talked to me via phone and gave me very detailed insight.
There is a lot of ignorance regarding dolls out there. Maybe this study can shed some light.

http://www.soscisurvey.de/dollstudy/?r=df/

The survey will take between 15 and 45 minutes depending on how detailed your answers are. You can either answer in German or English.

Of course, the data will stay anonymous which is required by German law. If there are any further questions or critique or whatsoever please get in touch dollstudy.allgpsych@uni-bamberg.de.

I will repost the link here occasionally over the next few weeks and I’m very excited to read your answers!

Thanks in advance!
Yours
Lasse Peschka
dollstudy.allgpsych@uni-bamberg.de

Mcpesch
Student Account
Student Account

Re: Scientific survey about dolls

Post by Mcpesch »

In another German forum we had a nice chat about the survey and other things in the thread.
Is there anything you'd like to discuss here? I'll stick around!
:)

arkham71

Post by arkham71 »

Hello Mcpesch,

I am very interested in your findings. I hold a B.S. in Psychology as well as a Masters in Spiritual Counseling, so we have both studied similar fields. May I ask what your exact major is in? Sorry just curious.

I attempted to take your survey, but I soon hit a roadblock. There are many people on here that are enthusiasts but who find affording a doll to be too expensive. Recently I ordered my first doll head in the hopes of being able to buy a nice body for her in the near future. There are also other people on here who are waiting for their first head or doll to arrive.

As a result, your question as to how many years has it been that you have owned/used a doll immediately blocks more than a few people from proceeding with the survey. In all fairness, I know that we can skip questions. However, I know from experience that incomplete data is sometimes discarded from a data set during analysis. Therefore skipping too many questions might invalidate the use of that survey in the study. Since I already entered a “prefer not to answer” entry on another question, I am hesitant to continue entering my information since it may eventually be discarded.

While I am not suggesting you redesign the entire survey you might want to add a question with options like ”I own a love doll, I have my first love doll on order, I plan on buying my first love doll in the near future, I do not own a love doll but I plan to buy one eventually, I am just interested in the lifestyle” Then put the question “how many years…” after it while allowing people to enter 0 years.

You could retroactively fix your existing data by setting the question suggested above to “I own a love doll” for everyone who answered the year question with a positive number. I used to do data manipulations like that a lot when I worked as a data analyst. (I also have a degree in computer programming which lead to a job as a database programmer/analyst for 8 years.)

I wish you luck with your research. :)
What lay behind our joint love of shadows and marvels was, no doubt, the ancient, mouldering, and subtly fearsome town in which we live - witch-cursed, legend-haunted Arkham, whose huddled, sagging gambrel roofs and crumbling Georgian balustrades brood out the centuries beside the darkly muttering Miskatonic.

"The Thing on the Doorstep", HP Lovecraft

Nanako
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Nanako »

I just completed the survey. Some interseting questions. Good luck with your project, am interested in reading your findings.

brigittes hubbie
Media Representative
Media Representative

Post by brigittes hubbie »

Very interesting, goodluck to you, I hope your survey will stir some more scientific interest.

BH
Click here to see my Doll Album.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

I just did the survey, it was painless enough, I will certainly be interested in the end results.

Cheers

Mcpesch
Student Account
Student Account

Post by Mcpesch »

Hey everybody,

first of all a big thank you for all the replies!

To everybody who is too lazy to scroll all the way up, here is the link again:
http://www.soscisurvey.de/dollstudy/?r=df/

@arkham71, thanks for the hint! I added an instruction about not having a doll yet or not anymore. I hope not too many people were blocked by that! However, the rest of the questions are mostly about how it is with the doll. If you don't have one yet, other questions might be difficult to answer as well...That's a shame and something I should reflect on later as a kind of limitaion of the results.
You don't need to be concerned about being discarded in the analysis! I won't do a lot of statistical analysis, only some descriptive stuff. I will do a mostly qualitative analysis, therefore, it's irrelevant how little you answered. Every bit will be used :)
Again thanks for the feedback, very helpful! :glou:

Brunch
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Brunch »

Hi,
Just a heads up for you to be aware of this thread of currently 145 pages ("What brought you to dolls?"): viewtopic.php?f=87&t=44977
It can give you a lot of clues for your Master assignment.

Survey done! Grüße aus Dänemark

Oftenwrong

Post by Oftenwrong »

I had no idea what was going on in the sex doll scene only a short several weeks ago, that's good. Personally I think it would be wise to remain out of sight and out of mind of main stream popular culture, keep a low profile. Nothing good can possibly come from it in this new dark age of mindless group think and politicized science. Sorry, but real science has no safe space in 2021. I wont participate in anything that can be twisted and used against me in the future. This "hobby" is low hanging fruit for the woke cancel culture.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

I took the survey. Better than most, but like those similar, places too much emphasis on the sexual aspects of doll ownership, IMO. That's like conducting a survey of married couples from the standpoint the sole purpose of getting married is for sex and that's bound to skew your results. I think rather than a survey, anyone who seriously wants to do research on doll ownership, need look no further than the threads on TDF. Everything you ever wanted to know about dolls and doll owners is right here.

Mcpesch
Student Account
Student Account

Post by Mcpesch »

Brunch wrote:Hi,
Just a heads up for you to be aware of this thread of currently 145 pages ("What brought you to dolls?"): viewtopic.php?f=87&t=44977
It can give you a lot of clues for your Master assignment.
Cool, thanks! There is one study out there that analysed a complete forum on dolls. It's a very interesting article. So that is indeed a good approach to the subject. And I already lurked around here in the forum and in german forums for quite a bit, so my research is definitely informed by that. My approach for this sudy, however, is a bit different as I did some in-depth interviews and the data from the survey I posted is supposed to add to the interviews. I can give you the link to the article if you're interested!
Oftenwrong wrote:I had no idea what was going on in the sex doll scene only a short several weeks ago, that's good. Personally I think it would be wise to remain out of sight and out of mind of main stream popular culture, keep a low profile. Nothing good can possibly come from it in this new dark age of mindless group think and politicized science. Sorry, but real science has no safe space in 2021. I wont participate in anything that can be twisted and used against me in the future. This "hobby" is low hanging fruit for the woke cancel culture.
I'm sorry to hear that you're afraid I might turn the data against you! However, I can assure you that I'll stick to what my results and, thus, your answers suggest.
Mr Franz wrote:I took the survey. Better than most, but like those similar, places too much emphasis on the sexual aspects of doll ownership, IMO. That's like conducting a survey of married couples from the standpoint the sole purpose of getting married is for sex and that's bound to skew your results. I think rather than a survey, anyone who seriously wants to do research on doll ownership, need look no further than the threads on TDF. Everything you ever wanted to know about dolls and doll owners is right here.
Yes, Mr Franz, I can imagine that for some of you this is odd. I thought about it quite a lot and I came to the conclusion that I still ask the sex-questions. The reason for that is the following: Till now it seems like there are different kinds of users, some are the ones that love their dolls and for them sex is mostly secondary. But there is also a big group of people who just use the dolls for sex. And for them the sex-questions are appropriate. So if the sex stuff annoys you, just keep the answers short and eleborate more on the other topics :wink:

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Oh, doesn't annoy me in the least, Mcpesch. I'm not saying that sex questions are not appropriate, just that these surveys are often skewed disproportionately in that direction and that the information already available on TDF may be a better barometer than conducting such a survey. Just my opinion. Attach to it however many grains of salt you deem appropriate. Best wishes and good luck with your endeavors.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Mcpesch
Haven't taken the interview yet but a qualitative approach is reassuring.
However of immediate concern to a number of doll owners are efforts to link a lump of sculpted plastic to child abuse legislation :)

Muninn
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Muninn »

A most refreshing survey, certainly different to the usual ones that have a very obvious bias... I've filled it in and I'd be most interested to see the results.

As mentioned above, it may be worth your while taking a look at some of the sections of the forum where the doll owners are more into the relationship/roleplay aspect of their doll. For example, there's a whole sub-forum where our dolls post with their own personality, and form good friendships together. Also there's plenty of threads on here that show just how much our dolls mean to us as partners, companions and lovers - I can point you in the direction of a couple of good ones if you're interested in that aspect.
(They/Them)
Companion of the lovely Lyngheiður a.k.a Lynne - A WM153 #85 - now she has a Doll Album!
Say Hi to her on "Dolls Alive"! - Lynne's Page

kevinth1985
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by kevinth1985 »

Weird, I was almost done the survey and the site stopped working. I don't feel like going through it again.
My best friend? My lover? My wifey? Jenny of course!

Jenny's Random adventures/thoughts: https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 3&t=114012

INFORMATIONS