sexyrealsexdolls.com

Mineral oil treatments beneficial for Fleshlight?

Doll stands, props and other doll accessories, inserts, and sex toys.
TMIA

Mineral oil treatments beneficial for Fleshlight?

Post by TMIA »

I've owned a few dozen Fleshlights over the years, some of them almost 10 years old. I've kept very good care of them, but a few of them sat for too long and deteriorated to the point where I ended up throwing them away. I have read mixed reports on whether Fleshlight is made of TPE or something else. I know that TPE needs periodic mineral oil treatment to prevent deterioration, so has anyone tried doing this on a Fleshlight? Will it help extend its lifetime? Or could it be bad for the material? Anyone have any idea?

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Mineral oil treatments beneficial for Fleshlight?

Post by seagull »

Guessing that Fleshlights have improved in quality over the years and will probably continue to improve is a good reason to replace your collection from time to time
The volume of material in a Fleshlight is quite small compared to a doll which carries the risk of over oiling it and watching it turn to mush
Were you able to calculate how much oil is lost over a given time period then replacing an equal amount suggests that the life of a Fleshlight can be extended
Digital scales are probably capable of this precision but for my mind it is much simpler to replace items as they become unserviceable :)

Slamjut

Post by Slamjut »

seagull wrote:Guessing that Fleshlights have improved in quality over the years and will probably continue to improve is a good reason to replace your collection from time to time
The volume of material in a Fleshlight is quite small compared to a doll which carries the risk of over oiling it and watching it turn to mush
Were you able to calculate how much oil is lost over a given time period then replacing an equal amount suggests that the life of a Fleshlight can be extended
Digital scales are probably capable of this precision but for my mind it is much simpler to replace items as they become unserviceable :)
I still have mine from the late 90's and I don't even know what it was made of. I haven't used it in years, it's still clean and smells the same as it did when I got it. What are they made of nowadays? And would you happen to know the material they used for the first ones? It kind of feels like those toy octopuses that you throw against the wall and they stick and eventually crawl down!

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Now I have an image of a Fleshlight crawling down a wall :whistle:

There is not a lot of info about what Fleshlights are made of

From the Fleshlight Factory
Fleshlight material is a secret (!) combination of high-quality mineral oil and rubber polymers, and it's protected by a series of U.S. patents.

The best way to care for your Fleshlight is to wipe it down after every use with a rag or washcloth soaked in hot, hot water and wrung out well.

If you absolutely must use soap, you may, but please do so sparingly with the knowledge that over time the application of soap to Cyberskin will cause it to deteriorate.

Avoiding oil-based lubes is also suggested, since it will also cause the Fleshlight material to deteriorate in a similar way.

The same goes for isopropyl alcohol—that's the rubbing stuff—and any products that contain it.

Does point to an elastomer without any bad smell and Cyberskin is linked to TPE on some internet sites

Slamjut

Post by Slamjut »

seagull wrote:Now I have an image of a Fleshlight crawling down a wall :whistle:

There is not a lot of info about what Fleshlights are made of

From the Fleshlight Factory
Fleshlight material is a secret (!) combination of high-quality mineral oil and rubber polymers, and it's protected by a series of U.S. patents.

The best way to care for your Fleshlight is to wipe it down after every use with a rag or washcloth soaked in hot, hot water and wrung out well.

If you absolutely must use soap, you may, but please do so sparingly with the knowledge that over time the application of soap to Cyberskin will cause it to deteriorate.

Avoiding oil-based lubes is also suggested, since it will also cause the Fleshlight material to deteriorate in a similar way.

The same goes for isopropyl alcohol—that's the rubbing stuff—and any products that contain it.

Does point to an elastomer without any bad smell and Cyberskin is linked to TPE on some internet sites
Ah so it's a form of Cyberskin. I actually do remember when it said "don't use soap". (Ewww!)

TMIA

Post by TMIA »

Cyberskin is a specific brand of TPE, I believe. It sounds like mineral oil is probably mostly safe to use here, but I think you're right, you would want to be very careful about using too much or too often.
I don't know if you have ever seen what a Fleshlight looks like when it starts to deteriorate, but it's pretty unfortunate. All the edges become dried, cracked, and ridged and feel like sandpaper. It makes it pretty much useless. I noticed that the sleeves I powdered more often tend to last longer than the ones that just sat for years. Maybe I'll take some of my old sleeves and see how they react to mineral oil.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

muesky6969 has been making mods to a doll using similar toy material mixed with 3M VHB Tape Universal Primer UV :)

Uhrta

Post by Uhrta »

TMIA wrote:Cyberskin is a specific brand of TPE, I believe. It sounds like mineral oil is probably mostly safe to use here, but I think you're right, you would want to be very careful about using too much or too often.
I don't know if you have ever seen what a Fleshlight looks like when it starts to deteriorate, but it's pretty unfortunate. All the edges become dried, cracked, and ridged and feel like sandpaper. It makes it pretty much useless. I noticed that the sleeves I powdered more often tend to last longer than the ones that just sat for years. Maybe I'll take some of my old sleeves and see how they react to mineral oil.
Anything worth reporting back? Had the stamina one about 1.5-2 years now, I think? Has seen low-to-med use, but I’ve come back to it recently for reasons (won’t bore you with a 2 sentence ramble)

Apologies if reviving an old thread is a no no

TMIA

Post by TMIA »

Uhrta wrote: Anything worth reporting back? Had the stamina one about 1.5-2 years now, I think? Has seen low-to-med use, but I’ve come back to it recently for reasons (won’t bore you with a 2 sentence ramble)

Apologies if reviving an old thread is a no no
No worries, I'm just surprised to see this topic come up again, haha!

I did try mineral oil on an old, deteriorating Fleshlight, and here's what I found out:
I was able to smooth out the sandpaper-like ridges by wetting my fingers with baby oil, pinching the rough edge, and rubbing my fingers back and forth on it. This essentially caused the dried material to flake off and leave a smoother edge behind. I rubbed a thin layer of baby oil all over the toy, inside and out. I let it soak in for about an hour, then powdered it. The final results were that the toy was usable again, but did not have as soft and smooth a texture as it used to. When dry and unpowdered, it was WAY more sticky than usual, very similar to the transparent Fleshlight Ice products. If you've ever had a chance to use one, they are very sticky (like those sticky rubber hand toys you used to be able to get from a vending machine). So, with lots of lube, it worked just fine, but didn't feel quite as nice as it used to.

The conclusion I came to is that Fleshlights last longest when they are rinsed, dried, and powdered regularly. I don't recommend using mineral oil to prevent deterioration. Instead, use it to repair an already deteriorating Fleshlight. I figure this is better than just throwing it in the garbage. I stopped using my Fleshlights for a while after I got my first doll, but I recently bought one of those motorized Fleshlight Launch strokers, and now I'm really enjoying them again. :D

INFORMATIONS