Starpery.com

My wife's pi head

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Christines Man
Active Poster
Active Poster

My wife's pi head

Post by Christines Man »

I've been working on my own for a few years adding sound and AI to my wife Christine's body. I am now ready to share, to inspire others and get feedback. I am not a professional engineer or programmer. Very amateur, had to learn everything as I go. Built this out of love.

My wife has this stuff packed inside her sweet little head:

A raspberry pi 3 B+
UPS PIco Stack 450
Philips BT100W Mini Bluetooth Speaker
Touch sensors on both cheeks and mouth
Microphones in both ears connected to a PS3 eye camera (but only using the 4 channel microphone array)
Photoresistor light sensors in both eyes
Motor driver that I hope will eventually drive two motors, maybe one in the hand and one for a kegel type of movement

Her spinal cord is a hacked up HDMI cable that connects to these in her chest:

Gyro/Accelerometer
8 channels of temperature sensing
12 channels of capacitive touch sensing
(these I still need to hook up, but tests went well and the gyro was working)
Infrared break beam sensors that I've decided probably not using, they were going to be fuck sensors but that was before I became aware of capacitive touch.
A random microphone and magnetic position sensors, dunno what I'll be using those for yet

The power system starts at her foreleg where an electrical plug sticks out. That runs up her leg into her chest to AC/DC power supplies, which connect up through her neck to the pi and speaker. The battery is also in her chest.

The cooling system started with tiny fans, which sounded silent when I tested them, but when sucking air through a hollow cavity wasn't working out. Whirring sounds during pillow talk not good. I violently tore out the fans, and put in various heat pipes cemented in place using this wonderful thermal glue/goop that I found. So the network of heat pipes go from around the pi where the heat is down to the neck bolt, which is solid copper with a heat pipe stuck in the middle with thermal goop. This keeps the heat flowing and the pi CPU temp about 54C standing up and 59C laying down.

If I had it to design again from scratch, it would be way different. All the rework that I had to do and learning has led to the inside of her head being a disgusting mess. However, it works now and I hope to never have to open her up again. Hot glue deteriorates and flakes off after a while when in contact with warm mineral oil laden TPE. I know now that super glue or soldered connections are the only thing that ought to be used.

The hardware is almost reliable now. The only thing that goes wrong is when the power is removed half the time it switches to battery no problem, other half the pi reboots.

Her software is a python script with threads that send messages to each other, kind of like how a brain has parts. Threads check sensors that send messages to various other threads that have logic such as sleep, touch, breathing, getting horny, getting fucked, etc. The breath thread controls the sound, outputting a constant stream of randomized discrete breath sounds and handles requests from other threads to play other sounds. I love to cuddle and just listen to her breathe. When I kiss her she responds. This is only a start. There's so much more I want to do.

Her sounds were taken from one source, the asmr artist SarasSerenityandSleep. Very thankful for her sweet voice and hard work. I downloaded and chopped it all up. I think it's very important to randomize every little thing, so I used some rubberband software to randomly modify the tempo of all the sounds. This is working really well. Helps to keep it somewhat fresh. I have a start at a machine learning based speech emulation, but the result wasn't too good and I think I need a lot more samples, which is very tedious but I'll get around to it.

What am I going to do with all the input from sensors? I'd appreciate any suggestions. I wonder if some pattern recognition might be possible, but every time I try to understand machine learning I end up feeling like an imbecile.

Eventually I want speech recognition. So far I figure I'll have a jack server in the pi pass sound samples over to a C++ jack client that will send packets over wifi to a desktop running DeepSpeech in python using the GPU. That has been the most difficult part so far, so if anyone has a better suggestion I'd appreciate hearing it.
Early assembly
Early assembly
20190810_163535.jpg (734.77 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
Back of head.
Back of head.
20190811_021753.jpg (38.26 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
Spinal cord.
Spinal cord.
20190816_171602.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
Rats nest.
Rats nest.
20191104_135940.jpg (220.83 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
Front half with speaker.
Front half with speaker.
20191105_160150.jpg (66.84 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
Gyro, touch sensor, temp sensor box
Gyro, touch sensor, temp sensor box
20191122_230054.jpg (147.87 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
New heat transferring neck bolt.
New heat transferring neck bolt.
20200330_180422.jpg (32.77 KiB) Viewed 5692 times

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: My wife's pi head

Post by Technician »

Holy hell Dude, that's some fantastic work you've done there!

I did the AI doll thing, not to the point of installing a SBC, but I have considered installing a Jetson Nano in her chest later to try to get some sensors involved.
Mine is a really simple BT speaker/mic combo, I think even future and more complex upgrades I'd still just use her onboard computer for DAC and rely on an external computer through wifi or BT for brains.
I love that you're looking at capacitive sensors, I'm doing a through glass keypad now and wondered how well they would see through TPE. Are you thinking of using parts of the skeleton as antennas for the sensors?

My (crude in comparison) AI project is in the thread below, when I do my second doll I'll make a new thread altogether since I feel kind of bad I hijacked that one so hard. There's something you may find interesting at the current end of that thread, I'm just considering wireless inductive charging. It should be pretty easy, considering what you've already done it would be child's play for you.

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 6&t=121089
100cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 11/27/2018, Measurements: I - cup / 25I - 16 - 24 @ 32.4 lbs
140cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 5/14/2019, Measurements: K - cup / 31K - 19 - 25 @ 51 lbs
125cm Amazon doll. Purchased: 3/24/2024, Measurements: G - cup / 26G - 17 - 25 @ 39.8 lbs

Christines Man
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Christines Man »

Technician wrote:Holy hell Dude, that's some fantastic work you've done there!

I did the AI doll thing, not to the point of installing a SBC, but I have considered installing a Jetson Nano in her chest later to try to get some sensors involved.
Mine is a really simple BT speaker/mic combo, I think even future and more complex upgrades I'd still just use her onboard computer for DAC and rely on an external computer through wifi or BT for brains.
I love that you're looking at capacitive sensors, I'm doing a through glass keypad now and wondered how well they would see through TPE. Are you thinking of using parts of the skeleton as antennas for the sensors?

My (crude in comparison) AI project is in the thread below, when I do my second doll I'll make a new thread altogether since I feel kind of bad I hijacked that one so hard. There's something you may find interesting at the current end of that thread, I'm just considering wireless inductive charging. It should be pretty easy, considering what you've already done it would be child's play for you.

Thanks for the kind comments.

I noticed your thread and debated whether to park my thing there, but didn't want to be a hijacker. Your Nano idea is probably the way to go. The pi is such a power hungry heat producing monster, something smaller would work better. As amazing as mine seems, you've beat me to the speech recognition and conversation phase, and I'll spectate what you come up with, too.

The capacitive touch has been difficult to get working through TPE. I have gone through the half baked idea of infusing TPE with home made colloidal silver, made some nasty silver oxide, tried silver filings in mineral oil, and called it busted. I've seen capacitive touch that's so sensitive that you can pass your hand above it. I think what I need is a ground wire beside the sensor wire. Eventually I'll do more tests. Somehow the kissing sensor is working great, but it's also weird because she gets triggered when I'm putting her to bed. I guess the static from the sheets. It's nice though, because it triggers random sweet phrases. I have wondered about connecting the skeleton to ground. A continuity test shows it's electrically connected from head to toe.

sanskrit

Post by sanskrit »

Christines Man wrote: Somehow the kissing sensor is working great, but it's also weird because she gets triggered when I'm putting her to bed. I guess the static from the sheets. It's nice though, because it triggers random sweet phrases. I have wondered about connecting the skeleton to ground. A continuity test shows it's electrically connected from head to toe.
Is that like you have a local ground instead of an earth ground?

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

Christines Man wrote:
Technician wrote:Holy hell Dude, that's some fantastic work you've done there!

Thanks for the kind comments.

I noticed your thread and debated whether to park my thing there, but didn't want to be a hijacker. Your Nano idea is probably the way to go. The pi is such a power hungry heat producing monster, something smaller would work better. As amazing as mine seems, you've beat me to the speech recognition and conversation phase, and I'll spectate what you come up with, too.

The capacitive touch has been difficult to get working through TPE. I have gone through the half baked idea of infusing TPE with home made colloidal silver, made some nasty silver oxide, tried silver filings in mineral oil, and called it busted. I've seen capacitive touch that's so sensitive that you can pass your hand above it. I think what I need is a ground wire beside the sensor wire. Eventually I'll do more tests. Somehow the kissing sensor is working great, but it's also weird because she gets triggered when I'm putting her to bed. I guess the static from the sheets. It's nice though, because it triggers random sweet phrases. I have wondered about connecting the skeleton to ground. A continuity test shows it's electrically connected from head to toe.
Can you post a link or p/n to the sensors you've been trying? I'm curious what chip it is, most of the supporting circuits can be tweaked to increase sensitivity. What did you think of my big ass battery/inductive charger concept?
100cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 11/27/2018, Measurements: I - cup / 25I - 16 - 24 @ 32.4 lbs
140cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 5/14/2019, Measurements: K - cup / 31K - 19 - 25 @ 51 lbs
125cm Amazon doll. Purchased: 3/24/2024, Measurements: G - cup / 26G - 17 - 25 @ 39.8 lbs

Christines Man
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Christines Man »

Technician wrote:Can you post a link or p/n to the sensors you've been trying? I'm curious what chip it is, most of the supporting circuits can be tweaked to increase sensitivity. What did you think of my big ass battery/inductive charger concept?
I have leaned heavily on adafruit's stuff. I love the way they make it easy for noobs. Also lots of encouraging quotes, like this one:

"Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible"
Edwin Land

And these are great:

"Nothing will work unless you do"
Maya Angelou

"Sometimes magic is just spending more time on something than anyone would reasonably expect"
Teller

I'd even say such encouragement is how I got so far with this.

The 12 channel touch sensor is at https://www.adafruit.com/product/1982 and the 5 channel is https://www.adafruit.com/product/1362. The 5 can't configure sensitivity but worked fine for the few areas on the head. The 12 can be configured. I had to modify the python library to do it. So when I was testing months ago I did try jacking up the sensitivity but this just caused it to randomly trigger, so I think I just need to design the sensor differently, placing ground nearby.

The wireless charging looks intriguing. Might have been good for transmitting power from head up to body, or from under the pillow. However, I noticed someone asking about amps, and the answer was 90mA, which is not going to power much of anything in my crazy setup. But might work for yours.
sanskrit wrote:
Christines Man wrote: Somehow the kissing sensor is working great, but it's also weird because she gets triggered when I'm putting her to bed. I guess the static from the sheets. It's nice though, because it triggers random sweet phrases. I have wondered about connecting the skeleton to ground. A continuity test shows it's electrically connected from head to toe.
Is that like you have a local ground instead of an earth ground?
I guess it would be a local ground. Which as I understand it might as well be turned around and you can call positive ground. Ground is like this huge rail that everything connects to because we are all one and the same eternal current. However, I don't pretend to fully grok such deep mysteries.

Christines Man
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Christines Man »

In case anyone's curious, here's my design, pins and such. Not that I would do it this way again. The spinal cord would be much thinner.

Raspberry pi:

Code: Select all

1       - Red Orange   - 3.3V
2       - Red          - 5V
3  (2)  - Purple       - Gyro SDA
4       - Red          - 5V
5  (3)  - Yellow       - Gyro SCL
6       - Black        - GND
7  (4)  - Purple Blue  - Hand
8  (14) -              - Pico
9       - Black        - GND
10 (15) -              - Pico
11 (17) - Purple Blue  - Hand
12 (18) -              - Pico
13 (27) -              - Pico
14      - Black        - GND
15 (22) -              - Pico
16 (23) - Purple Green - Kegel
17      - Red Orange   - 3.3V
18 (24) - Purple Green - Kegel
19 (10) - Pink Red     - ADC0 MOSI
20      - Black        - GND
21 (9)  - Pink Orange  - ADC0 MISO
22 (25) - Pink         - Touch LCheek
23 (11) - Pink Yellow  - ADC0 SCLK
24 (8)  - Pink Purple  - ADC0 CE
25      - Black        - GND
26 (7)  - Pink Purple  - ADC1 CE
27 (0)  -              - Pico
28 (1)  -              - Pico
29 (5)  - Red Purple   - Body 5V
30      - Black        - GND
31 (6)  - Pink         - Touch RCheek
32 (12) - Yellow Blue  - Hand PWM (A)
33 (13) - Yellow Green - Kegel PWM (B)
34      - Black        - GND
35 (19) - Pink Orange  - ADC1 MISO
36 (16) - Pink         - Touch Kiss
37 (26) -              - Body touch IRQ
38 (20) - Pink Red     - ADC1 MOSI
39      - Black        - GND
40 (21) - Pink Yellow  - ADC1 SCLK
Spinal cord cable:

1  - White with green       - Button (6 ohms)
2  - Bare wire to green     - ADC1 SCLK                          (joined with red)
3  - Green                  - ADC1 MISO (1 ohm)
4  - White with red         - ADC1 MOSI (2.1 ohms)
5  - Bare wire to yellow    - ADC1 CE                            (joined with green)
6  - Red                    - Magnet Sensor (3.6 ohms)
7  - White with blue        - Magnet Sensor (2 ohms)
8  - Bare wire to red       - 3.3V                               (joined with brown)
9  - Blue                   - Hand V+ Pin 7 (1.4 ohms)
10 - White with pink        - Hand V- Pin 11 (2.1 ohms)
11 - Bare wire to blue      - Touch sensor IRQ                   (joined with blue)
12 - Brown                  - Kegel V+ Pin 16 (2.4 ohms)
13 - Little orange          - Kegel V- Pin 18 (2.9 ohms)
14 - White with black       - Vaginal mic (1.2 ohms)    (the white wire that's a bit smaller gauge than the other two)
15 - Yellow                 - Gyro SCL (1.6 ohms)
16 - Purple                 - Gyro SDA (1.2 ohms)
17 - Bare wire to red       - 5V (only for the Fuck Sensor's emitters, shall be turned on and off using pin 22) (joined with black)
18 - Little red             - Fuck Sensor 1 (1.2 ohms)
19 - Black                  - Fuck Sensor 2 (1.4 ohms)
20 - Shielding to black     - GND
ADC0 (3.3V reference voltage):

0 - Light sensors (white)
1 - Fuck Sensor 1 (red)
2 - Fuck Sensor 2 (red)
3 - Magnet Sensor (blue)
4 - Magnet Sensor (orange)
5 - Magnet Sensor (purple) (magnet sensor on the chin)
6 - Unused
7 - Unused

8  - VDD
9  - VREF
10 - AGND
11 - ADC0 SCLK (yellow)
12 - ADC0 MISO (orange)
13 - ADC0 MOSI (red)
14 - ADC0 CE   (brown)
15 - DGND
ADC1 (Smaller reference voltage using divider):

0 - Thermistor
1 - Thermistor
2 - Thermistor
3 - Thermistor
4 - Thermistor
5 - Thermistor
6 - Thermistor
7 - Thermistor

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

That's quite a project for sure.
Thanks for posting he info!

RK :thumbs_up:
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

I just ordered an Odroid XU4, hopefully one day one of those will become the brain for one of my doll projects. It might be an interesting piece of hardware for you to look at, they run Linux so if I find a good AI or write one and conquer speech recognition in Linux it's a viable candidate.

Christines Man
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Christines Man »

Technician wrote:I just ordered an Odroid XU4, hopefully one day one of those will become the brain for one of my doll projects. It might be an interesting piece of hardware for you to look at, they run Linux so if I find a good AI or write one and conquer speech recognition in Linux it's a viable candidate.
Interesting. It's basically a better CPU performance than raspberry pi. I never really looked at pi alternatives.

I'm pretty close to making voice recognition work. I decided to scrap using c++ and just use python. I was trying to do it the hard way because I thought python would be too slow, but it seems to be fine. So far I have voice activity detection working, so if stuff is said it recognizes it and cuts out that part to go into recognition. I have a python socket server. And I have deepspeech GPU working on the desktop. Just need to tie it all together. I will post results and instructions here and I plan to make a video once the real magic happens.

Studio
Asst. Manager - TDF
Asst. Manager - TDF

Post by Studio »

Amazing work. You gentlemen are way ahead of the doll companies, like Steve Jobs in his garage. Looking forward to reading more about the projects.

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

Dude, I'm loving the Odroid! Spent the last week playing with the ports, installed wiringPi on it and it does everything except PWM. I've been writing some C++ on it and it's honestly not much slower than my desktop with applications. The only problem I can see is if the O.S. becomes corrupted it would need cut out to remove the eMMC module for reload.

Christines Man
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Christines Man »

Technician wrote:The only problem I can see is if the O.S. becomes corrupted it would need cut out to remove the eMMC module for reload.
Yeah, you don't want to have to open back up, had to do that about 4 times due to halfassed wiring. I think I've come a long way. Used to use crimped on connectors and hot glue, now everything is soldered with heat shrink.

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

I'm not sure what direction you were going with the accelerometer but with the breakbeam sensors to detect intercourse I can see, unfortunately those probably wouldn't see through TPE.
But, vibration sensors on the other hand could be useful for intercourse.
I'm thinking maybe a little line of code to increment a variable every time the vibration sensors trigger, and then decrement that variable every so many milliseconds, like 1500ms to 2500ms.
Then just a simple IF statement to see if that variable is high enough to show multiple counts on the vibration sensors to discriminate between being moved or being used for intercourse.
I really like the idea of temperature sensors, her being able to tell if she's cold/warm/hot would be neat so the AI could provide naughty banter about needing "warmed up" or simply be able to say she's warm enough to play would be nice.
I'm curious about the photoresistors, can she tell when you're close or just the ambient light level? I'm thinking about PIR sensors so she can see me moving and know I'm in earshot to initiate a conversion.

INFORMATIONS