www.wmdolls.com

Fully Articulated Life Size Action Figures

All forms of mannequins that were not originally sold as love dolls. Mannequins that have been modified for sex should also be included here.
MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Fully Articulated Life Size Action Figures

Post by MX-V »

Thank you Toroto,
I was laughing the other day as I thought I flatlined another thread. I hope this continues.
As this first attempt was a failure, I'm self analyzing why I'm still obsessed with this project.
Simple answer, I'm joining my childhood with my puberhood. I want a giant action figure and f@(ktoy.
A sci-fi Barbie mannequin with kung-fu grip.

So, I am researching two ways to continue.

One, Sculpteo and Thingiverse. They print out files, so maybe the files (from the very first picture on this thread) can be enlarged 1000x (or whatever needed) to the size I want. Something tells me the total cost will exceed sanity.

Two, take Rubherkittys suggestion of cutting up a mannequin and using ball joints to connect it.
If I can use the skeleton from the test doll as the armature and some various tubes and whatnot hardware for looks, this may achieve what I'm after.

If I'm patient and do it right. Staying away from fiberglass as I know from experience working with it. I'm looking for a 5 foot white plastic mannequin with a straight pose to cut up. I've seen some that are segmented and poseable, but they don't have that grrrrrr factor. So, in hope, this is an inspirational picture.
Final attempt.jpg
Final attempt.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
A couple of things that intrigued me were the body contours and the segmented spine for more human poses. I'm going to try to incorporate them both. For now, I'm going thru the ideas of building this in my mind first. How to connect the body parts to the armature (spray foam, wood or metal struts). Lastly, will this be another mess or a slick production. I think part of this obsession is bragging rights that I somehow started this movement. LOL.
Honestly, I don't think I'm the only one, I just know that 20 years ago, when others saw the Realdoll and figured out how to make it cheaper, the sex doll industry boomed into a multi billion dollar market.
I think this specialty market could do well.
Back to my research,
Good luck Toroto and any others interested in this thread.
MX
I love the smell of TPE in the morning...

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

MX-V
3D printing you say?
PLA is good stuff to start with but not very strong.
PET-G is similar in strength to Nylon but as with PLA, very little fumes and once the printer setting are good supposedly just as easy to print with.
Have not managed to successfully print anything with it yet apart from a lot of tangled stuff :(
Generally whatever printer you get will have a recommended Slicer and as for the 3D drawing I use FreeCad for obvious reasons but there are a number of other free drawing programs available

MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by MX-V »

I appreciate the info Seagull. I'm sorry to hear about the tangled stuff. That is why I am hesitant to get into it. I am thinking about a class at the local college to learn before getting into a mess. But I think I'm more excited about my answer when they go around the room asking students what do they want to make with a 3d printer...

toroto

Post by toroto »

I actually watched ex machina again last night. Definitely made me remember less can sometimes be more evocative.

Reminded me a bit of your image.

I'm currently getting stuck on the ball jointed doll skeleton setup. Not as much of a fan of the string approach, so am looking at a custom skeleton, but I get caught up in the details. Downloaded a few ecorche 3d models, but the more I dug into structural details the more I saw the errors they'd made creating it from 2d imagery and interpreting. I.e. the pelvis/hip bone was so stretched that any womb would have to open through the butt lol.

Anyway, internal structure is the part I'm trying to get accurately placed at the moment.
Attachments
Concept_Art_Ex-Machina_Ava_Sitting.jpg
Concept_Art_Ex-Machina_Ava_Sitting.jpg (402.49 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
Concept_Art_Ex-Machina_Ava_Standing(2).jpg
Concept_Art_Ex-Machina_Ava_Standing(2).jpg (291.09 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

MX-V
Man, would love to see the expressions when you disclose
As for the tangles, that was with the PET-G.
The PLA is not nearly so picky about the printer setting

The following image is of 2mm coated wire (3mm OD) joined to 3D printed sockets made from PLA

Post subject: Arthur's tpe doll repair thread inc. Rachel's resurrection
Page 17 Wire ProximalMini.jpg Near the bottom of the page, I think

Gives a bit of a hint as to what these printers are capable of

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Would have helped if I done this first, but that's how it is
Wire ProximalMini.jpg
Wire ProximalMini.jpg (147.38 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by MX-V »

Toroto, Ex Machina is one of the best. So much to say about all of it. The more I watch it, the more I love it.
Rethinking my thoughts, especially about designing from inside first, then outside. I was so concerned about looks, but I need to think of structure first. I keep trying to cheat by trying to Frankenstein this project halfa$$ when I need to fulla$$ instead. Really leaning towards printing again. Which could lead into other projects.

Seagull, Yes I've seen that thread about the hand. That's something I've been trying to address. I'm also trying to get into hand articulation. Not a fan of wires, I really want what Gynoid is doing. So elegant.

Everything is pointing towards printing. If I were making a mimic of a human, then sculpting would be ok, an android made by hand will look like a science fair project. (I'm talking to myself so I can pull my finger out and focus)

Now I guess that's it. Printing it is. I need to price out the printer, software and material needed vs. the cost of farming out printing to companies that do this on a big scale.
Just for anyone curious, she's going to need to be at least 5 feet tall.
If you're going to go... go big...

Nord
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Nord »

Ex Machina was cool, but I must say the initial body for Alita was on a completely different level of detail. Truly jaw dropping when looking closer. Bodyparts consist of more small pieces too rather than big solid ones, which can be an inspiring concept for a project of 3d-printing where size is limited.

The designer is Vitalybulgarov on Instagram. He got a ton of other similar robotic designs and great info about how he makes it, in case someone is interested.
alita.jpg
alita.jpg (539.74 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Alita-Battle-Angel2.jpg
Alita-Battle-Angel2.jpg (109.43 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

Also, there is actually a lifesized figurine of this, at least to some extent. Probably not movable though lol.
Rosa-Salazar-Feet-4017044.jpg
Rosa-Salazar-Feet-4017044.jpg (162.1 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Aio - Sanhui 160cm AIO "Nonoka"
Rei - WM 140cm D-cup #39 & #53
Nymph - DH168 80cm "Shiori"
Ku - DS Ex Lite 163cm "Kayla"
Elva & Alva - 6Ye 65cm #M5 "Mina"

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Unless you have enough $ to throw at the project without a care, I imagine having your own 3D printer on such a huge project is a must.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

DoctorDuke
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DoctorDuke »

I vote for something like Ava robot cutie from the film Ex Machina
Attachments
FILM Ex-Machina Ava naked 1.JPG
FILM Ex-Machina Ava naked 1.JPG (1010.98 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
FILM Ex-Machina Ava breasts.JPG
FILM Ex-Machina Ava breasts.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1957 times

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

MX-V
TPU, filaflex and ninjaflex are soft filaments although direct drive, non-bowden printers are recommended
These soft filaments come in a range of hardnesses
https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com ... sorted_by/

Your concept is moving to the more logical support/skeleton first then cover with elastomer.
If you don't plan a multi zillion dollar printer then body segments are the way to go as it is relatively simple to heat join them together on assembly.
Printing opens the opportunity to customise the softness of the all important breast feel
You might even be able to incorporate the self lubing feature covered elsewhere in this forum.

Wish you well on this one and I doubt the long time frame will dampen your enthusiasm :)

MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by MX-V »

Awesome information. I had started looking at printers today and got overwhelmed. My tendencies are to be impulsive. But, I need to back up. Anyone with suggestion on a larger printer would be appreciated. As I will print the body in many pieces, I'm not sure of what a large size printer is, but at least large enough to print a head, or half a head.
Cost ceiling around 1500.

As my creativity will be on hold till I can get into this, I've been having fun with photographing my Elf today. If you don't mind me pimping one of my other threads, Some of you might enjoy the "SM Elf showdown". On the SM Doll section.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Flashforge Inventor 1 $1580AU
Build size of 230 x 150 x 160mm (W x D x H) + Twin Extruder
Just big enough to do at least half of my Kimber mini head
Doing the head in two parts or more parts avoids having to remove and clean the ugly supporting material
A larger head might be a case for Face, back and cap of head for the price range printer you're looking at :)

justintime
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by justintime »

Kinda a side ways view of this thread.
Does anyone have any idea what would happen if you took a TPE doll
and cut it to look like this? I know the skeleton of dolls are not this detail, but that could be added with some fabrication.
I could put my hands on all sorts of cool Stainless that could be used to do so. Or 3d print parts.
Would the TPE fall apart? Guess it may not hold position. Would look cool though.
OR
I have several doll skeletons that could then be over laid with a fiberglass maniquan , cut to fit.
Would bee pretty cool with the right paint job..

“Put … the Doll … down … and slowly back away.”
Shelby My Piece Of Heaven
Shelby Model Information

MX-V
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by MX-V »

What a coincidence. I Have been cutting away the tpe on a yl doll to get the skeleton and place cut up mannequin parts on, to get this look on the picture. During this process I noticed that the tpe stays in place on the metal skeleton. There are metal tubes then some sort of pivot or weld to keep the tpe from sliding or rolling.

So yes, you could achieve this look with a tpe doll.
I'm trying to find the right 5 foot female mannequin to cut up. Most are almost 6 foot, or in some sort of pose.
Found a 5'8" straight white female mannequin but I'm still looking.

I've considered taking a tpe doll, cutting away the joint areas and placing mannequin parts over it.
I'm glad to know someone else wants this look also.

INFORMATIONS