Starpery.com

What advice do you all have on re-sculpting a face

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
muesky6969
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: What advice do you all have on re-sculpting a face

Post by muesky6969 »

seagull wrote:That tongue did it for me :glou:
Yep!
I love the tongues that came with the set of teeth.. There are 5 different ones and three sets of teeth. I so wish I could find a set that would fit Xiel. The vampire teeth are way to small for his mouth and I was told the regular set is even smaller.. Not sure I am ready to get into the teeth making business... LOL!!
Morghana The Doll Witch!! Where I take Science and a little bit of Magic to make my dolls their very best selves...

Morghana's Doll Emporium Thread
viewtopic.php?f=229&t=145649[/i]

Check out “The TPE DOLL EMPORIUM”: (Featuring: Z-Dollman & Morghana the Doll Witch)!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCybCey ... AgqYdgmSXg

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Eventually muesky, eventually, another chapter in your journey :)

muesky6969
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muesky6969 »

Okay, so all the supplies I need for both the extra heads are in now. I am just finished smoothing the area where the horns are mounted. and made said horns for the #78 head. I will wash it up tomorrow, to get it ready to punch in eyebrows. Still need to primer the area so I don't have the same issue I did with Agares.. Still having freakin nightmares about that.. :roll:

Finger's crossed the #183 head patch at the back of the head will hold. If so I will smooth that out and start gluing the face back on the skull. The mouth cavity is going to have to be glued, as well. It appears they attached it after the molding process and did a crap job. Not a big deal, just another thing to take time. I also made the horns for this one in gold and they have a slight curl to them.. I actually really like the style and might have to make a pair like this for Agares.

Hoping I maybe able to get both of them done by the end of the weekend. Then I am going to start on Cleo.. Finally!!!

I will take pictures and post them of the heads as I get them finished. Also, planning on making a video on how to punch in eyebrow hair and goatees, to post on Z-Dollman's channel..
Morghana The Doll Witch!! Where I take Science and a little bit of Magic to make my dolls their very best selves...

Check out “The TPE DOLL EMPORIUM”: (Featuring: Z-Dollman & Morghana the Doll Witch)!!!

DG
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by DG »

Cool!
I love and have loved many dolls.
Former Dolls:
Samantha - SY 165cm Elf
Charles - IronTech male
Clint - IronTech male
Marcellus - Male Real Doll - Body A
Orion - Male Real Doll - Body A
Lance - WM Male #207 head
Larry - WM Male #207 head
Colt - Gabriel M1 Sinthetics Male
Dolls in Storage:
Laurence (aka Doc, Dorian, Beau) - Homemade fabric male doll
Trevor - Homemade Fabric male doll
Tristan - Homemade Fabric/Silicone hybrid male doll
Landon - WM Male #207 Head

Current Dolls
Lawrence - Homemade Fabric/Silicone hybrid male doll

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Golden horns :)

zwei23783

Post by zwei23783 »

I think you can buy an older head, which is more convenient, or you can customize a head according to your own requirements, but it may be very expensive.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Trying not to think of in the near future where muesky is molding heads from scratch :whistle:

muesky6969
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muesky6969 »

seagull wrote:Golden horns :)
Yep! since he has dark tan skin with the mixed blonde hair and blonde eyebrows and goatee, I felt like gold horns would look best. Amazon had some really nice blue/aqua colored eyes with nice sized irises for $10 a set, so that should look really good with the coloring, on this head.. I am thinking Chris Hemsworth look..
zwei23783 wrote:I think you can buy an older head, which is more convenient, or you can customize a head according to your own requirements, but it may be very expensive.
So I just customize the heads.. It is more work but much cheaper. There are only a couple of vendors that sell customizable heads and the head w/ body is over $6K. I have spent about $500 on equipment but have been able to age Xiel, customize Agares, two extra heads , and soon start on my female doll to age her face up. Plus it gives me something constructive to do.. LOL!!
seagull wrote:Trying not to think of in the near future where muesky is molding heads from scratch :whistle:
As for molding heads from scratch, nope.. Carving them would be much easier.. I was talking to one of my friends yesterday who is a collage art teacher, I was explaining to her I work much better with 3D and painting then 2D drawing. She says that is not uncommon but once things settle down with Covid she is going to help me improve my drawing skills. So excited about that.. Relatively speaking my drawing is rudimentary at best, and I am always looking to improve..

After a couple of people have contacted me about repairing their silicone dolls, I have started to research about what it would take to work with silicone.. Another rabbit hole I am looking at from a far.. :D

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Carve a head and you have just carved a mold plug :whistle:
"dark tan skin with the mixed blonde hair and blonde eyebrows and goatee" plus golden horns, kinda visually striking :)

muesky6969
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muesky6969 »

seagull wrote:Carve a head and you have just carved a mold plug :whistle:
"dark tan skin with the mixed blonde hair and blonde eyebrows and goatee" plus golden horns, kinda visually striking :)
Well, I am not sure if I am ready for carving an entire head..

Don't forget the blue/aqua eyes.. I was thinking that will set off the contrast...

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Blonde, Blue & Gold. Yeah, that has got a lot going for it :)

muesky6969
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muesky6969 »

So last week my butane torch stopped working right. I figured out it was the ignition that went out... Cheap piece of crap!!! Anyway so I had to get another one so this time I sprung for the little more expensive one because it is pretty.. So it is not only functional but aesthetically pleasing, as well. Plus it is cobalt blue which is one of my favorite colors. LOL!!
Attachments
Say hello to my little fire making friend... LOL!!!
Say hello to my little fire making friend... LOL!!!
thumbnail.jpg (73.75 KiB) Viewed 518 times

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Hello muesky's little fire making friend :)

muesky6969
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muesky6969 »

Okay, so I think I may have made a step in the right direction in the weight reduction project. Later in the week I am going to visit a plastic fabricator but my guess is what they are going to charge is not going to be feasible financially. I don't really want to have to pay several hundred dollars per insert.

But I think I can actually make them myself. Looking at the insert I got from Z-Dollman, I realized it is actually made of fiberglass. This makes sense because fiberglass can withstand fairly high temperatures and depending on the thickness can be extremely strong. Think about it how much of our cars' outer bodies are made of fiberglass. I know my Fiat is mostly fiberglass on the outside.

So I am ordering a life sized skeleton, or maybe just the chest cavity, depends on which is cheaper. I will make a mold of the rib cage front and sides. The back I am going to use the insert I have because it is made to clip onto the doll's skeleton, and I want to keep that. Once the mold is made I will use fiberglass resin and fabric to make the chest insert.

What do you all think about the insert going into the abdominal area, as well? Not a lot but I think if I made an area closer to the spine but an area that would give you similar resistance as when you push into a real person's stomach area. Depending on how ripped feeling you want for your doll, the larger the abdominal insert would be. I will draw up pictures this week, of what I mean. .

Honestly I think I can also make the thigh, glut and maybe even the calve muscle inserts as well. I will just need to make some life size models of the muscles to make the molds of.

So my over all goal is to get 20-30lbs of weight off every one of my dolls. That would get Xiel down to 90lbs, Agares and Cleo under 60-70lbs. Since the next doll I am planning on ordering is 125lbs, this would get the doll under 100lbs. With the equipment I have and plan on making, those weights are doable for me.

The hot knife and tools to actually remove TPE will be here this week. I will be ordering the resin and fiberglass cloth today, as well as the skeleton. I may end up having to order a couple different sized skeletons since I have three different sized dolls. I don't know if it would just be easier to start with a smaller skeleton and then build it up. In put would be greatly appreciated.

Kaori Kusanagi

Post by Kaori Kusanagi »

If I were to do the hollowing-out of a TPE doll to make it lighter, then for hard areas (ribcage, maybe thighs) I'd do the filling with spray-foam-in-a-can.

First I would hollow out the areas as needed, then I would insert plastic bags (that I'd previously tested for TPE compatibility by extended contact, etc., with some of the removed TPE) into the areas to be filled with foam. Then I'd put the foam-can's dispenser onto a straw that is inserted into the first bag, and fill that with enough foam that when it finishes expanding, it would fill that completely, but not push excessively hard on the surrounding TPE. I'd leave the straw there and remove the can's dispenser, so excess foam can push back out the straw for a while (with coverings around that so it doesn't get on anything; it's REALLY hard to get off, basically acting like foamed superglue).

Once that area was filled and cured, I'd go on to the next hollowed area. (only one area at a time means that if something "goes wrong" there's only one to clean up at a time, etc).

Alternately, a "mold" could be made to put the bag inside of, and then fill that, then insert the cured bagged foam core into the hollowed-out TPE...but this means being much more precise in the TPE removal to hollow out the space, as it has to exactly match the molded item, or you end up with a lumpy/distorted TPE outside of that. ;) So it's simpler to inject the foam into the hollowed TPE directly (inside a bag).

Since the bagged foam presumably fills the entire area around the skeleton, it should be pretty stiffly "attached" to it, if the bag goes around the metal skeleton (meaning, folds around it--you could actually bag up the skeleton itself so the foam adheres to the metal, but it may be difficult to tape the bag to the skeleton where the metal tubes would exit the bag, tightly enough to prevent foam from leaking out of the bag while expanding.

If something really doesn't work out about it, the foam can be removed relatively easily, since none of it is stuck to the TPE, and you can just slit the TPE open just enough to remove the core, then close it back up and fill it with something else instead. Or break up the foam and pull it out thru a smaller hole.

There are different densities of sprayfoam, so you can make a really hard core, or a softer one that will crush if really pressed on (but this is a permanent crushing with this type of sprayfoam).

For the "guts" I'd probably stuff the hollowed area with dense cotton batting, or some medium-density squishy foam (like seat cushions). If I used the squishy foam, I'd cut the foam in shapes that fit in the hollowed spaces as closely as possible. If there isn't a way to do that, I'd use small chunks of it stuffed inside the hollowed space to fill it up. If I wanted a "realistic"(ish) feel, I'd use "tubes" of squishy foam, basically cut like sausages, to feel a little like intestines, and other shapes like kidneys, etc. ;) Myself, I wouldn't go that far...but some people might want to.

There *are* sprayfoams that don't harden that much, or even stay pretty soft, but they're not something you find at Lowes or HomeDepot like the other stuff, and may require more hazmat protections. (and probably be more expensive)

INFORMATIONS