Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Abyss falling behind?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

Nackers
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Abyss falling behind?

Post by Nackers »

Damn, $150 just for forum membership seems very steep. I can't really understand the reasoning behind that. Do current owners get free membership (or at least some sort of discount)?

On a different note, I have been curious about the long delay (based on comments here) with Real Dolls. Maybe TJ_Foxx or Brick can answer a question that may help others when it comes to decision making.

Does RD charge you the whole cost of the doll up front when you order, or is it a deposit and you pay the balance later? eg: 10% on order, 50% on build commencing, balance on shipping?

jca
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jca »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:18 pm
jca wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:09 pm I've been waiting for a response on an accessory/toy email I sent for three solid weeks now, and that's the product that I thought they were focusing on in the first place.
Which email address did you send to?
The contact prompt on the website. There wasn't an address listed anywhere else on there.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Nackers wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:47 pm Damn, $150 just for forum membership seems very steep. I can't really understand the reasoning behind that. Do current owners get free membership (or at least some sort of discount)?

On a different note, I have been curious about the long delay (based on comments here) with Real Dolls. Maybe TJ_Foxx or Brick can answer a question that may help others when it comes to decision-making.

Does RD charge you the whole cost of the doll up front when you order, or is it a deposit and you pay the balance later? eg: 10% on order, 50% on build commencing, balance on shipping?

If you read the benefits of VIP membership, you see that $149 gets:

3-Day Early Access to Publicly Promoted Sales
1st Dibs on One-of-a-Kind & Factory Second Products
20% Discount Accessory Products
15% Discount on All Products Everyday (up to $1,200 off)
$300 RealDoll Store Credit* (Annually Recurring)
and more

I get my $149 back plus the additional $151 in store credit every year. This year I got 2 sets of custom-made eye lids for Tasha; previously, I had purchased new high-realism eyes, repair kits, etc. It is like they are paying me to be a VIP member.

You can ask about payment arrangements; I have never asked to split payments.

Delays that I am aware of were out of RD's control. Outside of staffing, the main delays were caused by supply chain shortages, from raw materials to allocations and transporting products and supplies to them for production.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky Custom Configuration

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

jca wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:34 pm
TJ_Foxx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:18 pm
jca wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:09 pm I've been waiting for a response on an accessory/toy email I sent for three solid weeks now, and that's the product that I thought they were focusing on in the first place.
Which email address did you send to?
The contact prompt on the website. There wasn't an address listed anywhere else on there.
sales@realdoll.com
TJ_Foxx

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

lexico wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:39 pm Hey Again,

OK, I won't be confusing!

I have not had recent experience owning RealDolls. But I have had recent experiences communicating with the company. Or at least trying to, since they don't respond.

I spent $150 to join their "VIP" forum, where I also got essentially no responses to my inquiries.

If a company -- any company -- cannot be bothered to communicate pre-sales, I don't have much trust in their support after the sale.

I have not had the same experience. Also, please know that my comments are applicable to all who replied here. Not necessarily directed at you,
TJ_Foxx

Nackers
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Nackers »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:43 pm If you read the benefits of VIP membership, you see that $149 gets:

and more

I get my $149 back plus the additional $151 in store credit every year. This year I got 2 sets of custom-made eye lids for Tasha; previously, I had purchased new high-realism eyes, repair kits, etc. It is like they are paying me to be a VIP member.

Delays that I am aware of were out of RD's control. Outside of staffing, the main delays were caused by supply chain shortages, from raw materials to allocations and transporting products and supplies to them for production.
Ah that's not so bad then. The way it was mentioned made it sound like it's *just* for forum membership, but it's more valuable for the rest. The forum member ship is just another perk then.

Splitting the payments makes sense to me if it's possible because of the combo of high cost and long timeframe. Sadly, they cost about the same as renovating a bathroom here not quite but getting close). And I wouldn't pay a builder the entire contract price before he'd even ordered materials so I'd hope it was possible to do the same on a Real Doll.

cho0senjuan
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by cho0senjuan »

Voltage wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:13 pm
Ztar073 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Also, they should open source the software and 3rd party software access to the realdollx head if they haven't done so already. If they don't care to continue the r&d , let others work on it.
The software is antiquated. Chat GPT should be integrated. The corded head is also a huge limitation.
Corded head? How do you mean?

cho0senjuan
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by cho0senjuan »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:29 pm I am seeing a lot of comments and claims here. Are any of you speaking from recent experience, repeating what you see in other people's posts, or just making assumptions? If you are going to make a claim, please substantiate or state that it is your opinion per Rule 10.

10. Claims
Do not post unsupported claims regarding people or products. If you have an opinion make sure you state that it is your opinion AND support that opinion with hard facts or evidence, preferably by an established authority if it is not based on firsthand experience. Even opinions can be damaging to businesses and subject to lawsuits.
(Note above in Rule 3 that the use of a member's real name is strictly forbidden, even by the owning member. The only exception to this is when the name is business and/or industry related as in manufacturers/vendors and journalists.)

Any negative statements about products and product safety MUST be backed up by hard evidence. i.e. Reporting adverse reactions that a user has had to a product is allowed, however, the user cannot claim the product is unsafe without scientific proof by a recognized authority. General discussions about the specific chemicals and the products that contain them are OK, however, any statement that a particular product is unsafe must be accompanied by corroborating evidence. If you can't print it in the newspaper without fear of being sued, don't post it here. Be sure to let people know when you are giving your opinion.

Also, if you want to compare competing brands, that needs to be done in Dolls in General, not in any manufacturer's section.

We do not post in a manufacturer's section to defame their product. If you have a personal issue to address, please do it privately per Rule 6 (Grievances). OR email support@dollforum.com if you wish management assistance with a customer service or product issue.
This isn’t slander; I would love to own a Realdoll, especially a realdollx. They look amazing. This is simply a criticism and I’m worried that a company that I hold dear to my heart and hold on high regard could possibly be beat out by competitors.

I also acknowledge that these are my opinions about issues— obstacles that are keeping me from pulling the trigger and clicking that “buy” button.

But we must realize that no company is perfect. And I said what I had said in the hopes that they can one day remedy these issues.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

cho0senjuan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:04 pm
TJ_Foxx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:29 pm I am seeing a lot of comments and claims here. Are any of you speaking from recent experience, repeating what you see in other people's posts, or just making assumptions? If you are going to make a claim, please substantiate or state that it is your opinion per Rule 10.

10. Claims
Do not post unsupported claims regarding people or products. If you have an opinion make sure you state that it is your opinion AND support that opinion with hard facts or evidence, preferably by an established authority if it is not based on firsthand experience. Even opinions can be damaging to businesses and subject to lawsuits.
(Note above in Rule 3 that the use of a member's real name is strictly forbidden, even by the owning member. The only exception to this is when the name is business and/or industry related as in manufacturers/vendors and journalists.)

Any negative statements about products and product safety MUST be backed up by hard evidence. i.e. Reporting adverse reactions that a user has had to a product is allowed, however, the user cannot claim the product is unsafe without scientific proof by a recognized authority. General discussions about the specific chemicals and the products that contain them are OK, however, any statement that a particular product is unsafe must be accompanied by corroborating evidence. If you can't print it in the newspaper without fear of being sued, don't post it here. Be sure to let people know when you are giving your opinion.

Also, if you want to compare competing brands, that needs to be done in Dolls in General, not in any manufacturer's section.

We do not post in a manufacturer's section to defame their product. If you have a personal issue to address, please do it privately per Rule 6 (Grievances). OR email support@dollforum.com if you wish management assistance with a customer service or product issue.
This isn’t slander; I would love to own a Realdoll, especially a realdollx. They look amazing. This is simply a criticism and I’m worried that a company that I hold dear to my heart and hold on high regard could possibly be beat out by competitors.

I also acknowledge that these are my opinions about issues— obstacles that are keeping me from pulling the trigger and clicking that “buy” button.

But we must realize that no company is perfect. And I said what I had said in the hopes that they can one day remedy these issues.
No one is saying any one company is perfect.
TJ_Foxx

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Nackers wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:55 pm
TJ_Foxx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:43 pm If you read the benefits of VIP membership, you see that $149 gets:

and more

Ah that's not so bad then. The way it was mentioned made it sound like it's *just* for forum membership, but it's more valuable for the rest. The forum member ship is just another perk then.

Splitting the payments makes sense to me if it's possible because of the combo of high cost and long timeframe. Sadly, they cost about the same as renovating a bathroom here not quite but getting close). And I wouldn't pay a builder the entire contract price before he'd even ordered materials so I'd hope it was possible to do the same on a Real Doll.
One way to find out!
:glou:
TJ_Foxx

Lynxz
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Lynxz »

I hate to keep having to repeat myself, but i spoke in detail with Sam two weeksish ago about a myriad of doll related/industry subjects. They are running on a minimal staff. Answering anything but the most dire of order related inquiries isnt at the top of the list. They are working on this situation and will eventually be able to respond to all feedback.

lexico

Post by lexico »

Nackers wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:55 pm Ah that's not so bad then. The way it was mentioned made it sound like it's *just* for forum membership, but it's more valuable for the rest. The forum member ship is just another perk then.

I don't automatically think $150/year for a forum membership is a problem. But paying that and then not being able to get any responses from the company -- that's a problem.

I was prepared to buy a RealDoll, and just needed some more information. I was led to believe that the VIP forum was a way to get that information.

Anyway, I don't want to pile on RealDoll. I remember back in the 1990s, Matt McMullen was a very friendly guy, and I always appreciated his creativity. Like I said, I was prepared to buy a RealDoll!
One of the first owners of a Real Doll (1997).
Currently no doll, but here are my "finalists": FanReal, Real Lady, XYColo, Zelex SLE.
If you have information to share, send me a PM!

Lynxz
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Lynxz »

Get out of saying corporation/ company and realize this is matt/mike/sam and a handful of amazing artists and not a vending machine.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Lynxz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:40 pm Get out of saying corporation/ company and realize this is matt/mike/sam and a handful of amazing artists and not a vending machine.
Lynxz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:13 pm I hate to keep having to repeat myself, but i spoke in detail with Sam two weeksish ago about a myriad of doll related/industry subjects. They are running on a minimal staff. Answering anything but the most dire of order related inquiries isnt at the top of the list. They are working on this situation and will eventually be able to respond to all feedback.

:glou:
TJ_Foxx

lexico

Post by lexico »

Lynxz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:40 pm Get out of saying corporation/ company and realize this is matt/mike/sam and a handful of amazing artists and not a vending machine.
Interesting...

If I'm offering to spend close to $9,000 on a doll from a "handful of amazing artists," that's a company! I mean, they are not giving these away last I checked, and they are not receiving NEA grants for their work.

I never suggested they are a "vending machine." But at some point I'm spending money and getting a product.

My comments are actually about seeing them as the opposite of a "vending machine." As I wrote before, I respect what McMullen has done, and I respect his amazing skills. I tried to communicate with them, like artists, not a vending machine. My experience is that they are not communicating with their buyers and so it's been impossible for me to feel confident buying from them.

Anyway, not sure I have much else to add here. I think potential buyers will have the same experience as what I'm reporting. And the subject of this discussion is questioning whether Abyss is falling behind.
One of the first owners of a Real Doll (1997).
Currently no doll, but here are my "finalists": FanReal, Real Lady, XYColo, Zelex SLE.
If you have information to share, send me a PM!

INFORMATIONS