Starpery.com

Care and maintenance of TPE

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
DollAfficionado

Re: Care and maintenance of TPE

Post by DollAfficionado »

I just use a small desktop fan. It is not as efficient as an aquarium pump, but it gets the job done. I just spread the doll's legs open, put the fan in front of the cavity, and go do something else for a couple hours.
DollAfficionado (D.A.) 8)
Review of my SUKI doll from Sili Doll viewtopic.php?f=253&t=73439

tyrellkao666666
Ex-Member

Post by tyrellkao666666 »

So are you supposed to powder both holes?

DollAfficionado

Yes. All holes should be powdered, and then they should be periodically re-powdered as you use the doll. A built-in will require more frequent powderings of the cavity for obvious reasons, while an insert doll will mostly involve powdering of the insert. Make sure a cavity is completely dry before you initiate powdering; otherwise, you will make a nasty mess. If you don't use a doll's anal cavity or oral cavity, then you don't need to constantly repowder those cavities; every 2-3 months would be fine. Powdering is one of the best things you can do to protect your doll, so its importance cannot be over-emphasized.

limelight

Post by limelight »

DollAfficionado wrote:Yes. All holes should be powdered, and then they should be periodically re-powdered as you use the doll. A built-in will require more frequent powderings of the cavity for obvious reasons, while an insert doll will mostly involve powdering of the insert. Make sure a cavity is completely dry before you initiate powdering; otherwise, you will make a nasty mess. If you don't use a doll's anal cavity or oral cavity, then you don't need to constantly repowder those cavities; every 2-3 months would be fine. Powdering is one of the best things you can do to protect your doll, so its importance cannot be over-emphasized.
What does powder actually do for the doll anyway? is it really necessary or is it just so her skin doesn't become sticky?

LoneRanger
Miniature Moderator
Miniature Moderator

Post by LoneRanger »

I'm looking for some help with my 2 dolls made of TPE - they are approx 6 months old and both have started to turn an unpleasant color some where between green and blue, their arms look like they have been bruised, also their ankles. Is this something you have seen before?

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. I can take some pictures and post them here later.

Thanks!
L✰neR✯nger

DollAfficionado

limelight wrote:
DollAfficionado wrote:Yes. All holes should be powdered, and then they should be periodically re-powdered as you use the doll. A built-in will require more frequent powderings of the cavity for obvious reasons, while an insert doll will mostly involve powdering of the insert. Make sure a cavity is completely dry before you initiate powdering; otherwise, you will make a nasty mess. If you don't use a doll's anal cavity or oral cavity, then you don't need to constantly repowder those cavities; every 2-3 months would be fine. Powdering is one of the best things you can do to protect your doll, so its importance cannot be over-emphasized.
What does powder actually do for the doll anyway? is it really necessary or is it just so her skin doesn't become sticky?
In addition to making the doll feel better, powder provides a certain amount of protection. Since TPE is a slightly porous material, water from humidity, sweat, and body fluids can get into these pores and cause micro-damages which over time can turn into bigger damages. When powdering a doll, some of the powder gets into these pores, thereby providing a certain amount of protection against other substances entering the pores. Is it 100% protection? No, but it will slow the pace at which these micro-damages occur.

DollAfficionado

LoneRanger wrote:I'm looking for some help with my 2 dolls made of TPE - they are approx 6 months old and both have started to turn an unpleasant color some where between green and blue, their arms look like they have been bruised, also their ankles. Is this something you have seen before?

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. I can take some pictures and post them here later.

Thanks!
I have never heard of this happening to a TPE doll. Please post pictures as it will help.

A few questions:

1. Is there any possibility that this color is due to staining from clothing?

2. Has the doll been cleaned and powdered regularly?

3. What brand of TPE doll are these? (MFR/vendor - don't post this info until you post pictures in order to comply with forum rules)

LoneRanger
Miniature Moderator
Miniature Moderator

Post by LoneRanger »

1. I don't have a single long sleeve item so it's not a stain. It appears to be deeper then surface in the right light.

2. I have had 6 months - washed once and powdered 4 times before today. Only seen a few pictures sessions. Everything in my case is 100 % white cotton.

3. I have no idea and I have not seen anything posted that matches them. Sarcasm intended, more then likely a gulag in North Korea.

I am not 100 % sure that they are TPE but my senses tell me they are a lot different then my real silicone doll (color, texture, sheen, smell and oily surface when powdered.)

It seems to start in the elbows and ankles so far.
Attachments
DSCN0868.JPG
DSCN0868.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 3551 times
DSCN0867.JPG
DSCN0867.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 3551 times
L✰neR✯nger

DollAfficionado

In looking at your pictures, I have a hypothesis:

It appears to me that the most likely cause of the discoloring is lube from the joints leaking into and staining the surrounding skin. It is probable that very cheap lube and possibly too much lube was used at the doll's joints. If the material is a knock-off of true TPE, then it is probable that the cheaper skin is even more prone to staining. So the combination of the two is the likely problem.

I expect that this problem will most likely be limited to the skin surrounding the doll's joint areas. Since the discoloring took some time to appear, it has likely been a slow micro-leak as the doll's joints have been manipulated. Continue to monitor your dolls & see if this discoloring shows up at any other joints.

Unfortunately if this hypothesis is correct, there is not much you can do for the doll without causing more harm than good.

D.A.

LoneRanger
Miniature Moderator
Miniature Moderator

Post by LoneRanger »

Thank You Doll Guru for your analysis and I suspect you are 100% correct. If this is not a "health problem then I guess I'll change their back story to them having aids or something (humor intended although this is not funny but sad).
L✰neR✯nger

DollAfficionado

You're welcome.

The situation itself is unlikely to be a health problem; however, I would question the safety of the skin material if it is not true TPE. I would inspect your doll's cavities. If you see leakage into a cavity, then I would discontinue use of that cavity.

If anyone else has had a similar problem, please post your comments and/or pictures here.

Mountaingoat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mountaingoat »

Thanks a lot, i just ordered my first TPE doll 2 weeks ago and found the whole thing (maintenance and care) a little intimidating, this post is immensely helpful and answers all my questions.
Cant wait for her to get here!

cdn_doll_fan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cdn_doll_fan »

Welcome to the Forum Mountaingoat! This thread is very helpful, I have read it completely 3 times and each time retain more useful information. If you want your doll to last, I believe following the advise here can save a Newbie from learning the hard way!
:glou: "You can't please everyone, so you got a please yourself!"

DollAfficionado

Welcome to TDF, Mountaingoat! I'm glad this thread has helped you.

A TPE doll can last you many years as long as proper care and maintenance is performed.

LoneRanger
Miniature Moderator
Miniature Moderator

Post by LoneRanger »

Doll Guru

I know I will have to get rid of the bodies (eventually) but I am thinking I can still keep the heads?? And if I do then maybe I can find a comparable body(s) in the 75 cm to 88 cm range and keep them, if only one at a time?

Q#1: Can I keep the heads and it should be okay?

Q#2: Is there a TPE body out there that uses screw on heads (same thread size as my 88 cm SanHui (I never let them actual meet the all silicone vs TPE) but the 2 80 CM's came with a nut on the neck bolt and it fits on my other doll - the heads are the same size and same wigs 14-15 full scalp).

Thanks
L☆neR★nger
L✰neR✯nger

INFORMATIONS