DeeDee
PIB
Tamara

How do you manage the weight of your doll?

Love dolls built by Patrick a.k.a. Toonist.
beardygoat
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: How do you manage the weight of your doll?

Post by beardygoat »

beardygoat wrote:i can use Cassi ,Jane,to do one arm curls if i want. 32 lbs. perfect for a workout. easily! that is how I handle the weight.
BG
sure love the PIB HIPS.MMMMMMMMMMM

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

did the Cassi ,Jane dolls ever end up being built as a whole doll and sold that way? i know that they had a torso , this was really a nice looking doll i don't remember exactly what the height was suppose to be on the full doll . maybe you know some of these answers ? is yours a full doll with attached arms and legs ?

aire_tam_storm
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by aire_tam_storm »

Simple, I don't! I have a rule when it comes to owning dolls, don't buy it if it's over 60 pounds. I love the way the PIB looks, but I'm sorry, 80 lbs is just too much. The same goes for Lovable dolls at 70 something, and Realdolls at 70+ depeding on the model. There are just too many other options these days for me to still consider these 'heavyweight' dolls you hear throwing people's backs out. I jumped on the first lightweight doll to become available. (Original Teddy Babe) And believe me, it's great not having to worry about weight. I can imagine getting a Cassie (if she ever makes it) or a Mini Doll (Mr.Fusion's doll) and the top of the list, a Ruby 13. But too many of the high end dolls are still too heavy IMO. You're probably not going to be thinking straight when interacting with these dolls, and I know I've done things with my TB that would have hurt both a heavy silicone doll and me too.

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

well everything is a matter of what a person will accept , as in your case you won't but at the same time others wouldn't want a doll as small as yours to have a slicone doll , and usually with a silicone doll of normal height 5 foot and taller their "is" a balancing act about the weight ratio and that being lighter materials are fine but to make a doll leighter you have to make sure in doing so that the doll durability isn't compromised , and that is the problem of all doll makers .
And although i am not a doll manufacturer to me even if the skin is still durable that will not matter if the lighter weight interior is to lightweight and won't hold up and breaks down inside the doll causing inner problems and or even spreading to the outer core of the doll . And quit simply doll owners can't allow that to happen . I am not saying this to scare doll companies from trying to make lighter weight dolls , their is a market for lighter weight dolls and eventually some company is going to do it , it's just a matter of trying , failing and keep trying , research and developement .
I do scripting on a a.i. project and sometimes i have run into so many seperate problems on jsut one project , it sometimes is overwelming and mentally exausting , so much that i have to quit for a while and just get away from my computer . The thing is not to just totally give up and i hope all doll manufacturers will continue to keep trying to make dolls lighter weight and "find" that balance of durability ! :)

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Vanessa wrote:120 lbs here, approximately. I never made it to the scales with dolly... The weight sounds like you can handle it, because technically, as for what the number means as such (gravity), you can lift it. Just this is a doll, complex form, grabbing things, fragile. So you can't handle it properly. I saw body builders here posting "so what, I can bench press 250 lbs without breaking a sweat", and once dolly was home, they said they can't move her properly.

What I mainly did to "handle" the weight, that is to accept that I cannot handle it. This meant, as sad as it is, that I reduced moving dolly to an absolute minimun : bed -> wall bracket -> bed, a bit more than a meter of distance. This kept dolly safe, and my health as well.
Yeah, i've gotten the same. but weights, even free weights are designed to be lifted, so their mass is better centered. Dolls, simuloids are not.

My responce is; "Okay, go find a person of the same weight and ask them to remain completely limp when you try and lift/position them."
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

aire_tam_storm
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by aire_tam_storm »

to make a doll leighter you have to make sure in doing so that the doll durability isn't compromised , and that is the problem of all doll makers.
But making a doll lighter HELPS make a doll more durable by default! In a living body, each bone is supported by a network of specially evolved muscles and tendons, and, even then, things like obesity can cause problems. A doll has no special supports for it's skeleton other than the sillicone. Now having a 30-40 pound skeleton constanly trying to tear through the sillicone skin is going to tear away and cause a lot more durability issues than a 10-20 pound skeleton will.

More importantly, it's so much easier to handle a 30-50 pound doll than it a 60-100 pound one. With how durable dolls are these days, one of the biggest (if not the biggest) cause of damage is a wrong move or bump that the owner unwittingly gives a doll. With a heavier doll, it's easier to move the doll the wrong way, and it's easier for just one little mistake to cause damage. I think one of the reasons Ruby 13 is so durable is not only because of the strength of the sillicone and the skeleton itself, but because the overall low weight makes it less likely the owner will make a mistake when handling the doll.

EBF
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by EBF »

aire_tam_storm wrote: But making a doll lighter HELPS make a doll more durable by default! In a living body, each bone is supported by a network of specially evolved muscles and tendons, and, even then, things like obesity can cause problems. A doll has no special supports for it's skeleton other than the sillicone. Now having a 30-40 pound skeleton constanly trying to tear through the sillicone skin is going to tear away and cause a lot more durability issues than a 10-20 pound skeleton will.

More importantly, it's so much easier to handle a 30-50 pound doll than it a 60-100 pound one. With how durable dolls are these days, one of the biggest (if not the biggest) cause of damage is a wrong move or bump that the owner unwittingly gives a doll. With a heavier doll, it's easier to move the doll the wrong way, and it's easier for just one little mistake to cause damage. I think one of the reasons Ruby 13 is so durable is not only because of the strength of the sillicone and the skeleton itself, but because the overall low weight makes it less likely the owner will make a mistake when handling the doll.
But on the other hand: if the lighter skeleton is flimsy and breaks easily under stress, you will soon have a doll with broken limbs. So somewhere is an optimum and I guess dollmakers are all trying to find that optimum.
Anyway, I think that most of the weight of the doll is the silicon. Just the head of my 4Woods is already 1.2 kg. And I don't think there's a lot of metal in it.
I have two AI Neo Yuki dolls: Erika and Kim Ishino. They've got their own thread in the 4Woods forum.
Kim has a girlfriend: Erika Juliana Clark, she's got her own thread in the Yourdoll forum.
And then there is Alexandra Seizinger, who also has her own album and thread.

Lexi (a Phicen/TBleague doll) likes to travel.

INFORMATIONS