sanhuiofficial.com

Fixing neck joint issues (AIO 160)

Established since 2002, Sanhui Model Making Co.,Ltd has been endeavoring in the creation and the making of life-like female dolls in various sizes and materials. Our products range from anime models to life-sized and altered-proportion platinum silicone love dolls. The dolls are anatomically correct with fully functional orifices to the intimate touch and feel of a real lady with curvy figure from Yoga coaching.
lars77
Active Poster
Active Poster

Fixing neck joint issues (AIO 160)

Post by lars77 »

Refers to: SANHUI AIO 160 (Maria head)
Skeleton: Flexi skeleton / loose joints
Production date: Dec. 2019

Issue

I had ordered the version with loose joints. As expected, all joints were a little bit looser, compared to the state, when Mariya arrived. The neck was stiff to begin and the head was good posable. But after a month, it can’t hold its position anymore. It flops forward or backward. Rotating or lean to side is still stiff. So it's only one joint, which is affected. I had contact with another TFD member and apparently I am not alone with this type of issue. I am sure, SANHUI will do the best to improve this joint, but for those, who already have their dolls, I will share my experience, how I will fix it :) .

Video

I had the possibility to see a short video from SANHUI for this OP (had it from another member). Only the tightening action is visible, not the whole repair. The bad thing is: it needs a long cut (estimated 12cm) on one side, to simultaneously get access to the other side. It might be difficult to glue that long curved cut in an accurate way together again. The video itself could also scare some members 8O. I’m not owner of this video and so I don’t want to share it.

Experience

I have thought about, how I will do this OP and how I can avoid this long cut. I have seen some videos of other dolls/manufacturers, how they fix something. I have already some first experience to glue some smaller tears. So I am optimistic, that I can fix a cut with a length of 3-4cm. But I have never done such an OP and probably the most owners not either. So, I will try to do a step by step manual. Feel free to profit from my experiences/mistakes and correct me, when there is a better practice for a specific action. My focus is not to fix it fast, my focus is an OP with an minimal need of cut, without any visible remains after it's done.

If I go a little bit too deep into detail: Sorry for that! I am an perfectionist and I am sure, good results can also be achieved otherwise :).

Preparation

Plan:
Instead of one long cut, I choose another way. To tighten the joint, I must only have access to the bolt and the nut. For this, two small 3-4cm cuts on both sides of the neck should be enough. Glue together again should be easy then. Based on the video, I expect the nut on the right side and the bolt on the left side. Ok, this could absolutely be random. But I will start with the right side. With some luck, I can tighten the nut, without to hold the bolt. This works in some cases and would avoid the second cut on the other side. (In end, that was a nice dream -> two cuts are necessary).

Locating the joint:
I know how the joint looks and where it should approximately be located (based on video). But I will know it more precise, to not be forced to cut more than necessary. For this, I took two photos of Mariya’s head. The camera is on a stative as far away as possible, to avoid some perspective distortion. The camera is placed on her side, it’s zoomed fully in, so that the seam on the head is well visible. Between the two photos, I have only tilt the head, nothing else. On my PC, I have mixed this two photos and added this blue lines along to the seams. The cross product of the lines must be the approximately location of the joint: 6.5cm below the ear along the seam (based on the Maria head – Nonoka could be different, if she will have this issue too). When I put my finger on that point and tilt the head – I feel, that this point is exactly the rotation center. (In end, the exact location was 1cm lower – 7.5cm below the ear. But this shows me, that my locating method was not bad.)
Neck Joint.jpg
Material, needed for the OP:
• Ruler & pen
• Cotton swabs and maybe some makeup pads
• Isopropyl alcohol to degrease/clean
• Scalpel with blade Nr. 10 (ability to cut straight/clean/deep). Don’t use a cutter for this OP. It’s too big.
• Tweezers
• 2 x ratchet with 10mm bit. No chance to access with a wrench! I had to go buy the second rachet during the OP.
• SmoothOn Sil-Poxy glue (others might work too)
• Spatulas to apply glue (in my case a handy repair kit)
• Medical tape (holds better than scotch tape and lets passing air through)
IMG_20200129_151108999_HDR.jpg
Cleaning all the tools is necessary. They must be free from dust, dirt, oil or grease.

Preparation of the body:
The body lays on the side on my bed. I have comfortable access to the neck on the right side. The head is in a neutral position, the seam is almost straight and the silicone on the side of the neck is not compressed or elongated too much. The neck is cleaned from powder and dust.

Operation

Step 1: Mark
Mark on the right side of the neck that joint location 7.5cm below the ear and on the seam. I draw it on a piece of tape and also the start/end of the planned cut. In fact, a 3cm cut was too short to get access. I had to do a 4cm long line – 3cm about the joint location and 1cm below. Reason: I don’t want to go too deep in the shoulder.

Step 2: Cut 8O
Take the scalpel and cut on the seam belong that marked line. Use not too much pressure. After the first cut, spread the silicone with two fingers, to cut step for step deeper, until you reach the end of the silicone layer after 25-30mm. Doing this in a clean way is a little bit tricky. It takes it time. Avoid to damage the outer silicon edges with some accidental cuts! Also keep the section clean.
IMG_20200129_105714422.jpg
Step 3: Locate the nut
After the layer of silicone, there is some foamy material inside. Put your finger in and try to locate the nut. The nut is located about 35mm deep. It’s a little bit more behind the seam line. Rotate the head, so you can feel It better. Cut away the foamy material, that covers the nut and remove it with tweezers.

The joint rotates, when the head will be rotated too. Use this effect to find the nut or align the joint in an good position:
VID_20200129_115642891.mp4
Only few foam have to be removed:
IMG_20200129_141125954.jpg
Bingo! There It is:
IMG_20200129_113006355.jpg
It's exact position is 7.5cm below the ear:
IMG_20200129_125349983.jpg
Place the body on the other side and repeat this same steps there.

Step 4: Tighten & check
Insert one ratchet with a 10mm bit on each side. It needs an respectable amount of force to tighten it. (The angle of rotation on the ratchet was very low – less than 5°. I also heard a crack noise – suspected explanation for this on end). The head joint is probably much stiffer now – in my case stiffer then to begin. I leave it that way, so it wouldn’t bother me, when it gets a little bit looser again. Remove the ratchets and lay her on her back or sit her on a chair. Do the head hold now? Tighten it a little bit more, if it is still floppy. Move the head several times to check, if it goes looser again. (Even after 50 tilt movements, the head was still stiff on Mariya).
IMG_20200129_140136500.jpg
Step 5: Align & clean
Align the head again in its neutral position. The cuts should be aligned well by itself. Take several cotton swabs with isopropyl alcohol and clean the inside of the section and then the outside. It must be dry, absolutely clean and free from grease.

Step 6: Glue
Glue in 2 steps with a delay of some hours. Reasons: The pot time of Sil-Poxy is only 5 min. You have not enough time to concentrate on both sides. Prepare some strips of medical tape, so you can take it with one hand later. Now, put some glue on an (cleaned) spatula and apply it on the full surface of the section (both sides). A thin layer is enough. Align the edges exactly and press them slightly together. Hold it with one hand. Remove the rests of glue with an dry cotton swab. Clean some glossy rests with an additional cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol (but not too much, that it would flow into the gap). Still holding it, take a piece of tape and put it on the well aligned cut, without to press to much on it. Add some more tapes, maybe with a little bit of tension. Repeat this for the other side after some hours. Don’t touch it anymore for at least 24h.
IMG_20200129_144526822.jpg
Step 7: Check & (hopefully) be happy :multi:
On the next day, remove the tape gently. If it still smells from glue, wait another day. Maybe, the deeper layers need more time to dry. Some rests of glue can be rubbed off with your fingernail. Some rests of tape can be removed with isopropyl alcohol too. Maybe, you will see some marks of the tape now. No worries, this will disappears by itself. After powdering, you shouldn't see anymore. If there are some imperfections or a small scar, this will mostly be hidden by the seam. If there are still small cracks, fix it with a little bit of glue on a toothpick.
IMG_20200130_200339520.jpg
Cause

As seen at the corresponding photo about, the bolt is truncated to align the nut. Also, there is a welding point on it. I think, it should prevent, that the nut can loose itself. So, the nut can not be the reason, why the neck joint went looser. It must be some general wear on this joint or on it’s washer (haven’t see anyone, because I didn’t remove more foam than necessary). Maybe, SANHUI could only increase the initial torque for this nut, to prevent the same issues in future? I hope, they work on this and will find a solution :thumbs_up:.

Mistakes

The crack noise, I heard, must be the breaking noise of this welding point. Unfortunately, I remarked this welding point much later on the photo, after I had already fit all together again. So theoretical, this nut can loose by Itself now. And in fact, it do already a little bit again :roll:. To prevent this, the nut should be removed, so some Loctite (nut locker) can be added on it. But that overstanding welding point would probably prevent to be able to unscrew that nut, except you will add some violence. Grind down the welding point is impossible with my method (no space).

Recommendations
I guess, I will have to do this OP again in near future and try to remove the nut and add some Loctite :evil:. So, I recommend to avoid to do this OP without to lock the nut! My second recommendation is: There is no need to immediately close/glue the cuts. Put only a tape on it and test for some days/weeks, if that joint keeps stiff.

Conclusion

I think, when you are well prepared, then this OP is not really a hard thing. Cutting this deep layer of silicon and simultaneously spread it, was not as easy as expected. Locating the nut and remove the foam needs some time, but then, the worst is done. Tighten the joint and glue together is much easier. I was almost successful with my method – and the result looks satisfying. For the moment…

OP story
Click here for the associated OP story... :wink:

Zanarkand

Re: Fixing neck joint issues (AIO 160)

Post by Zanarkand »

Even if it was not a 100% succes because of the welding point that broke... this is a great guide!

I sincerely thank you for willing to be the first and experiment with this. With all the information you've just dumped here, this should be much easier for me to do now.

And the cuts are almost not visible anymore! I really did not expect that...

Amazing work, I love how organized and prepared you handled this and how well you've written this down. :glou:
Sino - Sanhui 160cm AIO - Review!
Kaori - Aotume 143cm-B - Order page / First photo's
Please visit - The Cosplay Corner!
The Doll Club discord: Click!

lars77
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by lars77 »

Zanarkand wrote:Even if it was not a 100% succes because of the welding point that broke... this is a great guide!

I sincerely thank you for willing to be the first and experiment with this. With all the information you've just dumped here, this should be much easier for me to do now.

And the cuts are almost not visible anymore! I really did not expect that...

Amazing work, I love how organized and prepared you handled this and how well you've written this down. :glou:
Thank you, Zanarkand! I hope, it will help :) :thumbs_up:

From optical aspect, it's a full success. The only thing, it would make the optical result a little bit better, is add some pigments in the glue. The small line of transparent glue is slightly visible in some light situation. But only, when yourself knows, that there "was" something.

In fact, 80% of the text was written before i started. It was like a script I used for the OP and that gave me some confidence, that I am well as possible prepared.

tpefan19
Ex-Member

Post by tpefan19 »

This should be moved to the Stickies section.

Great work and explanation, lars77.

serge
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by serge »

Very useful !! Thanks Lars !!

Nord
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Nord »

Very well made tutorial, and some great pictures on how things look inside.

I really hope this doesn't happen again or to anyone else, but it's really good to have this well documented on the forums just in case.

If it does happen again I'd change the bolt and washer into something that isn't designed to rely on a weld to stay in place. There are plenty of different good solutions used in industry that should do the job.
Aio - Sanhui 160cm AIO "Nonoka"
Rei - WM 140cm D-cup #39 & #53
Nymph - DH168 80cm "Shiori"
Ku - DS Ex Lite 163cm "Kayla"
Elva & Alva - 6Ye 65cm #M5 "Mina"

justintime
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by justintime »

Just read this due to a new thread stared with same issues.
You did a very nice job on her.
Great information and explanation. :glou:
“Put … the Doll … down … and slowly back away.”
Shelby My Piece Of Heaven
Shelby Model Information

rubyfan
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by rubyfan »

Hmm. Enough of these stories going around to make me steer clear of a Sanhui AIO for now. This is a bad design and Sanhui needs to create and promote a permanent fix.
"Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."—H.L. Mencken

lars77
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by lars77 »

Thanks to all! :D

I want to give a short feedback on this. Now, it's 10 weeks later and Mariya's neck still holds. Direcly after the OP, the neck went a little bit looser. But since that, it hasn't changed. So Mariya can pose again and she is happy about that. :mrgreen:

gonestill77
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by gonestill77 »

lars77 wrote:Thanks to all! :D

I want to give a short feedback on this. Now, it's 10 weeks later and Mariya's neck still holds. Direcly after the OP, the neck went a little bit looser. But since that, it hasn't changed. So Mariya can pose again and she is happy about that. :mrgreen:
Love that photo! :thumbs_up:

:glou:
Eve- 2016 Sanhui 145
Lucinda- 2015 DS 163 plus

Eves thread http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=261&t=70866
Lucinda's thread viewtopic.php?f=143&t=128707
My doll cleaning and drying video viewtopic.php?f=7&t=127010
Eve and Lucinda's thread viewtopic.php?f=87&t=129480
Eve and Lucinda's dirty movies. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=126968

Fryevia

Post by Fryevia »

Thanks for this detailed post. I was really interested in getting the AIO Nonoka as my first doll because she's beautiful, and would be perfect for photo shoots.

But now I'm thinking I'll just get the regular doll with Nonoka face. It's a shame, I hope Sanhui will be able to fix this issue with a better solution soon.
Lillian - Sino-doll 162cm @lillianthedoll | Lillian - First impression | Lillian - Photo thread
Asuka - Gynoid Model 14 @EVAsuka02 | Asuka - Photo thread

ghlb
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by ghlb »

I have the opposite problem. the neck on my Sanhui 160cm Small Breasts body is so stiff hat it is nearly impossible to move it. I want to loosen the joint. It looks like I could use your post to help me do that. However none of the image or video links work. So I cannot see what you are talking about. Would you please edit your post to make sure they are available.

Also, if anyone else knows a way to loosen the neck joint of that doll I would much appreciate your advise.

ghlb
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by ghlb »

Lars77: yes. I still have that problem. The neck is impossibly stiff. I would like to refer to your photos of your procedure so I can go in and loosen the joint. But none of your photos appear in your posts. Could you repost them here or put them on some other site where I could see them?

lars77
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by lars77 »

ghlb wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:40 pm Lars77: yes. I still have that problem. The neck is impossibly stiff. I would like to refer to your photos of your procedure so I can go in and loosen the joint. But none of your photos appear in your posts. Could you repost them here or put them on some other site where I could see them?
Sorry for this late answer. For some reasons, I will not receive notification mails, when someone answers. I removed the photos some time ago, because they contained personal data. Here are the cleaned pictures - you should be able to reference it by the name.
Neck Joint.jpg
Neck Joint.jpg (7.19 MiB) Viewed 1138 times
IMG_20200129_151108999_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200129_151108999_HDR.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 1138 times
IMG_20200129_105714422.jpg
IMG_20200129_105714422.jpg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 1138 times
IMG_20200129_141125954.jpg
IMG_20200129_141125954.jpg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 1138 times
IMG_20200129_113006355.jpg
IMG_20200129_113006355.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 1138 times
IMG_20200129_125349983.jpg
IMG_20200129_125349983.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 1138 times