Starpery.com

Suspend from neck bolt with head on?

Got an idea? Need an invention?
MourningWood

Suspend from neck bolt with head on?

Post by MourningWood »

I want to be able to suspend my doll from the neck bolt with the head on. Was wondering what my options were? I tried to make something out of a L bracket but didn’t work so well. I saw a pic where there’s an eye bolt slot in the back of the neck which would be perfect, but I think a certain manufacturer makes them like this.
IMG_4742.jpeg
IMG_4742.jpeg (113.8 KiB) Viewed 453 times

MinniMagg

Re: Suspend from neck bolt with head on?

Post by MinniMagg »

There is one option in the "stickies " posted above the forum

Like this stand
viewtopic.php?t=17684

Or this more professional stand the utilizes the neck bolt as the mounting system

viewtopic.php?t=171028

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Suspend from neck bolt with head on?

Post by Wheezer »

MourningWood wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:01 pm I want to be able to suspend my doll from the neck bolt with the head on. Was wondering what my options were? I tried to make something out of a L bracket but didn’t work so well. I saw a pic where there’s an eye bolt slot in the back of the neck which would be perfect, but I think a certain manufacturer makes them like this.IMG_4742.jpeg
It would be possible to rig up a plate/extension/bracket assembly to hold the doll from the neck with the head on and minimize head damage.
But then you would have to take off the head to install it and remove the head to remove it.
So ... hmmm ... just take off the head and suspend from that.

Actually unless your doll is really designed for long term suspension (such as some Pipers and a few others) then long term suspension storage is not ideal.
The beefy legs and hips are designed to support the mass of the doll. If you look at a raw skeleton it gets lighter toward the neck.
Now your doll won't explode if you hang her, just that the neck components are not usually designed for long term load bearing.

If you just have to hang you doll from its head with the head on, then the best option is to modify the head.
You would add an M16 threaded female attachment to the top of the head THAT IS MECHANICALLY ATTACHED TO THE BASE HEAD CONNECTOR.
Just adding a M16 connector to the top of the head skull itself would lead to head failure.

A simple option is to get two (2) M16 female threaded connectors and some M16 threaded rod.
Remove the existing head connector and replace with the threaded connector.
Screw in the threaded rod, cut to length, and cut an opening in the skull and top head TPE.
Attach the second female threaded connector to the skull so it is flush with the top of the skull.
Finishing the head base and top would be similar to what I went over HERE (viewtopic.php?p=2440232)
Consider too that the base to top rod would probably get in the way of oral use.

Personally, if I REALLY wanted to suspend my doll for storage I would go an easier route.
Use a pop in connector for the head and screw in eyebolt to suspend the body.
When I would want to hang the doll, then pop off the head and screw in the hook.
Cheap, easy, fast and safe.

But it you just have to hang with the head on, you CAN do it.

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

INFORMATIONS