DeeDee
PIB
Tamara

Spinner finger wire replacement

Love dolls built by Patrick a.k.a. Toonist.
Anushka
Doll
Doll

Spinner finger wire replacement

Post by Anushka »

The finger wires in my late model standing silicone spinner did not last long. The repair using 1mm Nitonil wire and 1/16 brass tubing works well. There is a detailed thread of the repair at Our Doll Community in the Workshop. http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index ... ic=13278.0

Phil

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Spinner finger wire replacement

Post by seagull »

Wow, nice resource and agree that Nitinol is a superior material as far as wires for fingers is concerned :thumbs_up:
Possibly if a manufacturer produces a 1000 dolls, Nitinol would be a cost barrier :)

Anushka
Doll
Doll

Post by Anushka »

seagull wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:37 pm Wow, nice resource and agree that Nitinol is a superior material as far as wires for fingers is concerned :thumbs_up:
Possibly if a manufacturer produces a 1000 dolls, Nitinol would be a cost barrier :)
Thank you, but I disagree, I have to think that a doll manufacturer could get the stuff in bulk thus reducing the the cost. 5 feet of 1mm nitinol is now $15. which is more than enough to do one doll, probably 3 hands, and I wasted some. So $10 added to the cost of manufacture, hell I would've paid that not to have fingers break within the first year. However I was disappointed that the wires weren't the full length of the finger, this job has been an improvement.

Phil

Anushka
Doll
Doll

Post by Anushka »

Anushka wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:01 pm
seagull wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:37 pm Wow, nice resource and agree that Nitinol is a superior material as far as wires for fingers is concerned :thumbs_up:
Thank you, but I disagree, I have to beieve that a doll manufacturer could get the stuff in bulk thus reducing the the cost. 5 feet of 1mm nitinol is now $15. which is more than enough to do one doll, probably 3 hands, and I wasted some. So $10 added to the cost of manufacture, hell I would've paid that not to have fingers break within the first year. First few months for the first one, not long after for the rest of the middle three on each hand. However I was disappointed that the wires weren't the full length of the finger, this job has been an improvement.

Phil

Anushka
Doll
Doll

Post by Anushka »

Has a spinners' hand ever looked so good? Regards to positioning of the fingers...

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Looks almost like a naturally relaxed hand :)
Excellent Silicone repair :thumbs_up:

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

For any TPE doll owners looking at this, don't use brass, it goes green and destroys fingers, Stainless tubing is a safer option :)

Anushka
Doll
Doll

Post by Anushka »

seagull wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:12 pm For any TPE doll owners looking at this, don't use brass, it goes green and destroys fingers, Stainless tubing is a safer option :)
Plastic tubing was used in the original thread that inspired my repair. I chose brass since it's very stiff (plastic flimsy) and the silicone non reactive. I don't know where one would go for stainless tubing of this size, or any other.

Phil

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

304 Stainless Steel Round Tube 3mm OD 0.5mm Wall Thickness 250mm
$13.49
eBay AU
:thumbs_up:

INFORMATIONS