Santa
www.realdoll.com
Rita & Angie - HawgCallr

Any tips for fixing fingertips?

A space for the legacy dolls manufactured by as Phoenix Studios. These include the Boy Toy Series 1 & 2: Calendar Girls, Seasons and C series.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Any tips for fixing fingertips?

Post by Szalinski »

MelodyLuvr wrote:Hi - My Melody has a small wire poke on her pinky finger that I just noticed today, during her music performance photo shoot (she's brand new). The hole is in her finger nail (which are red), not poking through the "flesh" of her finger. What type of glue/adhesive should I use to repair it? Also, one that leaves no discoloration, if possible?
Thanks.
I had that problem with my RD. Actually she just about came that way - the "flesh" was quite thin above the wire in that finger, so as soon as I bent it it the "unpokable" end of the wire pushed it's way through the silicone. What I did was to cut the silicone fingernails down to the tip of the finger itself and glue on some plastic nails (available wherever cosmetics are sold). Not only did this solve the problem , but it also made her fingers more realstic looking!
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

MelodyLuvr
Location: Lost deep in my sweet Melody's gorgeous, big blue eyes!!!!

Post by MelodyLuvr »

OK, the repair kit just arrived from Abyss. From the instructions provided, it looks like I'll have to wait to repair her wounds on Saturday, due to the time it takes the sil-poxy to set and dry (up to 6 hrs?!) Unfortunately I do not have the idle time to repair her during the work week :cry:

My poor baby suffered not only the aforementioned fingernail poke-through on her right pinky, but also a "flesh" wire poke-through on her left thumb, and a cut on the sole of her left foot :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: (practically identical to another injury posted here....can't recall who at the moment....the joys of aging). I'm sure her foot injury happened during her sax playing shoot....it was a precarious balancing act, and at one point in setting it up, I turned my back and she slid out of the chair and crumpled to the floor, with her poor left foot bent back severely at an awful angle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: !!!! I didn't spot the wound until the next day.

So, my questions are -

1. I should only need the sil-poxy itself, and not the catalyst and medium colored silicon base, right?
2. Does it really take the long for the sil-poxy to set?

Thanks for any help you all can give, as I REALLY appreciate it! This forum is a great place! :D

p.s. - Very nice RealDoll pamphlet enclosed with the repair kit....and the BoyToy bumper sticker! LOLOL!
Cheers,
MelodyLuvr

Come see my girl's gallery HERE-->http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13036.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Just a thought, but what about gluing the fingers together? slight line of glue between each finger and form the hand/fingers in a natural position while it sets, does anyone think that is a good idea...seems to me that the finger pokes happen when moved around, if fixed in one position maybe not happen? I understand that you will lose the finger articulations....any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

mlambeau57

Post by mlambeau57 »

I had the same problem with my BT. I cut the end of the finger wires off, filed the end, found a medium density rubber softener that fit over the end and glued the finger shut. It isn't perfect but better than before.

INFORMATIONS