Starpery.com

TPE doll maintenance questions

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Easterlyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

TPE doll maintenance questions

Post by Easterlyn »

My first TPE doll won't arrive for another few weeks, but in my excitement I've been researching everything I can by reading these forums. I've probably studied more for this than I have for all the tests I've taken in my life combined. There's a wealth of information here that I'm very grateful for, but there are also sometimes contradicting viewpoints, and it isn't always easy to tell when advice posted years ago is no longer valid. I think I've reached an understanding on most of what I need to know to take good care of my incoming doll, but there's one important thing I want to be absolutely sure on.

Essentially, I've seen a lot of views on when to clean/oil a TPE doll. I've already purchased baby oil/Nivea cream/Vaseline in preparation, but more recent posts oppose previous wisdom about how often/where to use those. For example, I want to use the female condom method that I read about elsewhere on the forum to cut down on cleaning, only that method appears to require Vaseline every few days to hold it in place without causing potentially-damaging friction. I was also going to use Nivea at joints every week and a full-body baby oiling every month, as has been outlined here in the past. Then I read other posts saying to never use any kind of oil anywhere ever and I'm no longer sure what would be best. I was also going to give her a light cleaning every week to prevent bacteria from building up enough to cause any concern, but apparently cleaning doesn't need to happen that often either?

I figure the best answer is that it'll depend on my specific situation (climate/temperature/usage/my doll's individual TPE batch/resilience, etc). So, after that long preamble, my question is, what signs should I look for to tell when to clean/oil (and when to not clean/oil) a doll?. I don't want to over-oil, but I also don't want the first sign that I'm not oiling enough to be a tear. I don't want to clean too often, but I also don't want bacteria to get a foothold because I'm not cleaning enough. As I said, I don't have my doll yet, so there's a chance this is something that will be obvious to me once I can feel her skin for myself. Still, I want to be the best owner possible from day one, so any tips or advice anyone can give me on what to watch for would be appreciated.

tldr version: What are the signs to tell when I should clean/oil a TPE doll?

Since I'm here, I may as well ask two other quick questions. This will obviously depend on the overall advice of how often to oil, but do I need to use Nivea and baby oil in the orifices too or would Vaseline be enough? I'm also concerned about my ability to reach all the way into tight holes several inches deep to evenly spread cream. Would putting it in as far as I can reasonably manage be enough or would the deeper parts dry out and cause damage? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

dollarfan

Re: TPE doll maintenance questions

Post by dollarfan »

You may read these 2 posts. If after reading them You feel there is questions still unanswered then post them here.

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 67&t=88389

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 67&t=72826

Easterlyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Easterlyn »

dollarfan wrote:You may read these 2 posts. If after reading them You feel there is questions still unanswered then post them here.

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 67&t=88389

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 67&t=72826
Thank you for the reply! I have read those posts, however they are from 2016 and 2017 and I've read several more recent ones that contradict much of what is in there. Here is a 2018 thread that highlights a lot of the contradicting information, and the replies even showcase it with one person saying not to oil a new doll and another person saying to absolutely oil a new doll.

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=106686

Basically, it seems like everyone's opinion on this is going to be different, and the TPE of every doll is going to be individual to the doll, so there doesn't seem to be a concrete answer. I'm hoping to get information on what signs to look for that would indicate over-oiling or under-oiling, and over-cleaning or under-cleaning, so that I'll be able to make informed decisions about what's best for my doll when she arrives.

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Dollarhyde »

Hello Easterlyn and welcome to the forum... :glou:

You might want to take a look in my link for Newbies this should answer a lot of the questions you may have... :angel:
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Hi, Easterlyn!

Basically, all we can do is tell you what works for us. That may not be what's best for you however, because everyone's situation is different. What works well for one, may not be best for another. All depends on use and what environment the doll is used in.

So simply put, if the doll is dirty, wash. (I prefer standing sponge baths for this, using a teaspoon or so of Dawn dish soap in a couple quarts of warn water). If the doll feels dry or not as soft as usual, time for an oil rub. (I just use ordinary baby oil for this, applied thinly by hand). If the skin feels tacky or catches when you run your hands over it, time to powder/cornstarch. (I use cornstarch inside an old sock, blotted on lightly and smoothed out with a large make-up brush).

My doll is primarily used for photography and dress-up and is almost always kept fully clothed. So frequency for me is wash as needed, dry thoroughly then lightly dust with cornstarch. I spot treat stress areas with Vaseline every 3rd wash or so before powdering, letting it completely absorb before proceeding. Oil rubs don't seem to be required as frequently as they once were, so I just do that every 3 to 4 months.

Pretty easy stuff really and quite enjoyable, at least for me. Don't worry, you'll soon get the hang of it and what works best for you. :wink:

Vanhelsing912

Post by Vanhelsing912 »

Sounds good to me. Although in my case not sure what went wrong, after first wash and powder noticed some faint cracks appearing between the bumb cheecks and on the back, also a slight tear on the abdomen. Possibly I should have oiled after the wash, but then I was thinking that I had only had the doll for a few weeks and it is suggested that you should only oil once a month so I left the oil. Have since washed and oiled the doll as I did not want furher cracks appearing.

Does this mean I should oil the doll after washing to prevent further cracks next time? So oiling after every wash in my case.

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Dollarhyde »

Vanhelsing912 wrote:Sounds good to me. Although in my case not sure what went wrong, after first wash and powder noticed some faint cracks appearing between the bumb cheecks and on the back, also a slight tear on the abdomen. Possibly I should have oiled after the wash, but then I was thinking that I had only had the doll for a few weeks and it is suggested that you should only oil once a month so I left the oil. Have since washed and oiled the doll as I did not want furher cracks appearing.

Does this mean I should oil the doll after washing to prevent further cracks next time? So oiling after every wash in my case.
Hello Vanhelsing and welcome to the forum... :glou:

To help us out a bit could you post photos of the damage?

The oiling does not need to occur after the first wash... The only thing you need to do is to powder with cornstarch. If there are cracks which are appearing oiling the doll will not keep it from cracking more. Cracks generally appear due to the fact the TPE formulation used is a bit harder hence when the TPE is stressed it will crack.

Two things did you buy from a TDF Vendor or a non-TDF Vendor... As a last resort, I would call the vendor I bought the doll from and ask them about the issue.
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Yeah that definitely shouldn't be happening on a new doll, regardless of whether or not it was oiled after the initial wash.

Dolllover2019

Post by Dolllover2019 »

Never had to oil my WM Doll upon receiving her and I don't foresee a need to oil her for probably a few months. If assuming most vendors are using same quality TPE, you should never have to oil her out of the box. There already is oil in the TPE already.

Dolllover2019

Post by Dolllover2019 »

Mr Franz wrote:
So simply put, if the doll is dirty, wash. (I prefer standing sponge baths for this, using a teaspoon or so of Dawn dish soap in a couple quarts of warn water). If the doll feels dry or not as soft as usual, time for an oil rub. (I just use ordinary baby oil for this, applied thinly by hand). If the skin feels tacky or catches when you run your hands over it, time to powder/cornstarch. (I use cornstarch inside an old sock, blotted on lightly and smoothed out with a large make-up brush).

My doll is primarily used for photography and dress-up and is almost always kept fully clothed. So frequency for me is wash as needed, dry thoroughly then lightly dust with cornstarch. I spot treat stress areas with Vaseline every 3rd wash or so before powdering, letting it completely absorb before proceeding. Oil rubs don't seem to be required as frequently as they once were, so I just do that every 3 to 4 months.
These two paragraphs are pretty much 100% of what you need to know in regards to washing, powdering, and oiling. It can be really nerv wracking before you receive the doll, biut once you have her you'll realize its not that difficult to maintain.

Vanhelsing912

Post by Vanhelsing912 »

Dollarhyde wrote:
Vanhelsing912 wrote:Sounds good to me. Although in my case not sure what went wrong, after first wash and powder noticed some faint cracks appearing between the bumb cheecks and on the back, also a slight tear on the abdomen. Possibly I should have oiled after the wash, but then I was thinking that I had only had the doll for a few weeks and it is suggested that you should only oil once a month so I left the oil. Have since washed and oiled the doll as I did not want furher cracks appearing.

Hello Vanhelsing and welcome to the forum... :glou:

To help us out a bit could you post photos of the damage?

The oiling does not need to occur after the first wash... The only thing you need to do is to powder with cornstarch. If there are cracks which are appearing oiling the doll will not keep it from cracking more. Cracks generally appear due to the fact the TPE formulation used is a bit harder hence when the TPE is stressed it will crack.

Two things did you buy from a TDF Vendor or a non-TDF Vendor... As a last resort, I would call the vendor I bought the doll from and ask them about the issue.
Thanks Dollarhyde I bought the doll from Racyme based in China. Is still in warranty and within the first month so will contact them and send it back. Maybe I can still get my money back or a partial refund.

carazhe
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by carazhe »

Are you serious? I don't want to receive a used doll. :lol: :lol:
The seller told me not use oil, the only thing need to do is powder with corn starch power or baby powder.
But the cracks may be caused your improper using, you can call seller to solve it. A new doll can't in this condition.

Dollfriend
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: TPE Land, just a few miles east of Silicone Valley...

Post by Dollfriend »

Back in the Day most TPE Dolls were Oily enough upon arrival, but as you have pointed out, this has changed over the years, a recent TPE doll purchase of mine has brought a TPE Doll into my life that has very little or no oily residue at all, so as mentioned before the situation is different depending on the age, style, quality, etc.

Easterlyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Easterlyn »

I have my doll now and I have another question, figured I'd just post it here and see if anyone answered rather than making a whole new topic.

She has a few small scratches/abrasions on the skin that didn't really become visible until after powdering. Not sure if they're from shipping or from when I was first cleaning her. I was careful to cut my nails and made sure not to scratch her, and they aren't in places I carried her by or anything. Ah well.

Anyway, I don't care about how they look, so my question is if there's any danger of further damage if I leave them alone. Not sure what could happen, maybe mold could grow in them or the scratches might split, I dunno. Right now they're barely blemishes.

Based off videos I've seen these look like they'd be easy to fix with a heat gun but my patience is already being stretched by how heavy she is and how stiff her joints are. Every wash or powder takes hours because I'm so weak that she's tough to maneuver, and she's still so oily that I've needed to powder her daily (she's lucky she's cute or I wouldn't put up with it). If there's no downside other than looks, I'd prefer to just leave the scratches rather than having another big maintenance task to figure out.

Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Slew »

Hi Easterlyn, sorry if it's mentioned and I missed it, from which vendor did you buy the doll?

INFORMATIONS