Don the Creator of Ruby 13 1939-2013

Paying our respect to TDF members and their friends and family who have passed on.
jonnydisco
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Don the Creator of Ruby 13 1939-2013

Post by jonnydisco »

I'm very sorry for your loss :cry:

I remember way back when I first joined TDF Don was introducing the idea of a Ruby13 to the forum.

he had some great sketches, and then if I remember right he did a prototype from plaster or fiberglass or something,

there were a few doubters that railed him a little, but he always took it in stride, and keep his vision going,

I was an early fan and still am,

Don you are off on your next great adventure, and Ruby will let us know how you are doing. :angel:

Brash
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Brash »

You're so right Jonnydisco. I forgot all about the doubters. We were getting heckled for a bit by several people because the beginning process was taking a while. This is so not an exact science at first. Lot's of figuring it out. I remember Don and our manufacturer Jon working out how to make the molds, what to use for the materials of the molds to keep them lightweight etc. It was quite a collaboration and I think Don knew more than he thought he did. The prototype was a combination of bondo, newspaper, and I believe toilet paper tubes. His resourcefulness was fun to watch.

cheers

jim

Andy_J

Post by Andy_J »

Brash wrote:In answer to those who've wanted to know where to send flowers for Don's memorial
here is an address and information of the florist nearby who know's of this event.

Thank you.

Island Florals
(ask for Florence)
1240 Logan ave #G
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714-546-5359
If anybody of us fans/customers will organize something in terms of flower arrangements and has a PayPal account, I would be happy to participate in financing it.
(Otherwise it's a bit difficult from afar.)

raysmod
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by raysmod »

Sorry to hear of Don's death.
Traceter and me have bonded. It happened quite magically when I looked into her eyes about 8 0'clock this evening; 12th August 2020. She looked at me, and even seem to regard me. No longer did she look through me or past me. Just like in AI, Traceter has imprinted herself on me. And how I welcome, SO MUCH, this!

Rick Deckard
Former Member

Post by Rick Deckard »

So sorry. Please accept my condolences. Losing your Dad is hurt beyond words, but I'm sure you know that his art and creations have helped a lot of people and made them happy.
"Tyrell had told me Rachael was special. No termination date. I didn't know how long we had together... Who does?"
- Character quote from the movie "BladeRunner"

clayV

Post by clayV »

May God Bless you in this time of tremendous loss Brash. Dolls mean nothing when losing a father. I spoke to Don over the phone awhile back when pondering my choice for a Ruby and I almost forgot what I called for in the first place. I could tell that he loved life and there were many more years of kindness left in his bones. They don't make them like they used to anymore.

meepmeep
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by meepmeep »

Hi Jim,

I was surprised and saddened to hear this. I had a very unpleasant shiver go down my spine when I saw the posts subject/title when I logged in.

My condolences to you and to the rest of your/Dons' family.

His amazing legacy will live on through his art and his amazing dolls.

- Mark

AnatomicalDoll
Ex-Member

Post by AnatomicalDoll »

I was absent and some days were far from a house.
Has just now learned this incredibly sad message.
At these moments always there are no necessary words to express all grief.
Jim, accept my sincere regrets.
All of us have lost the big person.

Oleg B.

Zarnon
Former Member

Post by Zarnon »

Just saw this. I'm very sorry for your loss and remember my conversation with Don. I appreciate his contributions to this community.
Fall down 7 times, get up 8.

Joe Bin
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe Bin »

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of one of the great doll makers. It is sad that he was taken so early!
Just wondering, Is there an obituary printed anywhere?
I find it nice to read the obituary and learn more about him.

Brash
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Brash »

One other thing, (As an option to sending flowers) that Don's brother just asked me to mention. He had asked Don where he wanted his ashes to be taken. Don lived many years in a jungle valley in Maui and loved that idea although he didn't want to cause the family any financial hardship. So eventually we are going to take his ashes there. If anyone wants to contribute to this last voyage for Don feel free to make your contribution to this paypal account "rhodimer@hotmail.com" and label it "Don's Last Memory."

havefun
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by havefun »

Brash wrote:One other thing, (As an option to sending flowers) that Don's brother just asked me to mention. He had asked Don where he wanted his ashes to be taken. Don lived many years in a jungle valley in Maui and loved that idea although he didn't want to cause the family any financial hardship. So eventually we are going to take his ashes there. If anyone wants to contribute to this last voyage for Don feel free to make your contribution to this paypal account "rhodimer@hotmail.com" and label it "Don's Last Memory."
I never meet the man or owned one,but loved his work so I'm sending what I can.

Thanks,

Brash
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Brash »

thank you so much.

LaDollyVita
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by LaDollyVita »

“Everyone must leave something behind when he dies... Something your hand touched some way, so your soul has somewhere to go when you die... It doesn't matter what you do, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away.”
― Ray Bradbury

Warm regards. Rest in peace, Don.

mystical

Post by mystical »

I'm so sorry to hear this, I'm proud to own a piece of his art.

INFORMATIONS