Starpery.com

New palm plates?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
RGC_0767
Former Member

Re: New palm plates?

Post by RGC_0767 »

DanMarsh wrote:If you’re looking for a decent instructional DIY there is a series on YouTube called amateur doll surgeon that details the how to of hand repairs. A good watch for a solution to a problem similar to yours
Turd Flinging Monkey?
All I can say is. I am glad I watched CrazyCajun's video of April's replacement before watching Turd Flinging Monkey :) CC went about it with common sense!!

Welcome DanMarsh. If or when your lady breaks a finger, you'll soon want to know all you can about it. Hopefully you won't have to learn anything about floppy fingers :razz:

This video is even better RIP CC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqftsp9k8k

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

Since CC has passed away and Kat still needs a set of hand plates I will make up a set of them for Kat.

I am not setup to make production level of these at all. I did trace the set that I got off CC onto a 3x5 card prior to doing Janie’s surgery. I might have some bar stock laying around to cut some out of. I know I have brass I could make them out of. That wouldn’t be too bad to do brass
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18
Sarah-Jo ~ MLD 168DD #39 ~ 6-18-19
Jennifer ~ MLD 165F #2 ~ 11-27-19
Brittany ~ WM155 #46 ~ 3-13-20
Heather ~ WM163C #38 ~ 8-14-20
Melina ~ PIB GND Bitsy Fairy ~ 1-1-21
Aliel~ RD BT2 Winter ~ 2-13-21
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21
Virginia~ RD Body C ~ 8-27-21
Caitlyn~ 4woods AI NEO ~ 8-27-21
Jessie~ MLD 163FF #100 ~ 10-8-21

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

winterwarBo wrote:Since CC has passed away and Kat still needs a set of hand plates I will make up a set of them for Kat.

I am not setup to make production level of these at all. I did trace the set that I got off CC onto a 3x5 card prior to doing Janie’s surgery. I might have some bar stock laying around to cut some out of. I know I have brass I could make them out of. That wouldn’t be too bad to do brass
I remember you saying the ones CC sent you were a bit big? In what way were they? You also had a tack weld to remove to get the factory off, correct?

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

RGC_0767 wrote:
winterwarBo wrote:Since CC has passed away and Kat still needs a set of hand plates I will make up a set of them for Kat.

I remember you saying the ones CC sent you were a bit big? In what way were they? You also had a tack weld to remove to get the factory off, correct?
Yes they did some dumb stuff at WM the tack weld was an unexpected pain in the ass. =. The palm plates were a little large but they were well made. I see why he made them that way but I don't need them to support the weight of the girl. They could be made a little thinner and a hair smaller.
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

winterwarBo wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote:

Yes they did some dumb stuff at WM the tack weld was an unexpected pain in the ass. =. The palm plates were a little large but they were well made. I see why he made them that way but I don't need them to support the weight of the girl. They could be made a little thinner and a hair smaller.
I've been thinking about a ball bearing wrist. But also something along the lines of a carbon fiber wrist. Parts on the way, ambition is low though :)

You'd not believe the shit I've put her hand through. Factory would have poke through and have broke right away. The only thing I should have done was attach cloth or foam on the very end of finger bones. Just enough for more cushion. Poke through will be more likely than breaking with a strong finger bone
The TPE is thin on her wrist as you know. Supporting weight is fine, but we all know what will probably happen after a while. Just like CC made the paste for worn elbows, etc. A palm plate for my lady could not exceed too much more than 1 1/4 inch wide. she has a small hand.
Good to hear all is well in hand land :)

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

The fabric inside is really a two fold. It's meant to protect the frame/skeleton during molding/and tpe out of the joints but also a reinforcing material for the tpe. Think of the mesh like reinforcing wire in concrete.

I like the idea of making a cloth cushions for the fingers to prevent pokes.

The original wire was like 20 gauge telephone wire. It was really thin and the metallurgy was just wrong.. More like bailing wire, and it corroded at the hand plate. That is another reason for failure is corrosion. Not from soaking in water but just when they are made they hold in everything.

CC was on the right idea. anything going in the hand has to be corrosion resistant, and super smooth. Not really polished but no sharp edges.

Quinns hands has like flat pieces of sheet metal in them for the fingers. they aren't round wire. I kind of like it, it just feels weird compared to my other two girls hands. She is a Rifrano or a Local Grade doll.
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

You can remove the palm by unscrewing it. You have to cut along the side of her hand release the finger wire threading and gently pull the hand away from the palm plate. Wrap the hand in seran around her forearm. You should now be able to counter clockwise remove it from the forearm.
You will need.
A dremmel with bits 27 bucks at harbour freight.
Tpe glue and baby oil.
Wear a face mask and goggles when dremmeling out the place where the fingers came out.
The dust is toxic so a medical face mask is best. Can be had at most dollar stores.
Jb weld liquid mix and j.b weld putty will be needed. I redid brovens doll 4 him. He can explain it too!
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

winterwarBo wrote:The fabric inside is really a two fold. It's meant to protect the frame/skeleton during molding/and tpe out of the joints but also a reinforcing material for the tpe. Think of the mesh like reinforcing wire in concrete.

I like the idea of making a cloth cushions for the fingers to prevent pokes.

The original wire was like 20 gauge telephone wire. It was really thin and the metallurgy was just wrong.. More like bailing wire, and it corroded at the hand plate. That is another reason for failure is corrosion. Not from soaking in water but just when they are made they hold in everything.

CC was on the right idea. anything going in the hand has to be corrosion resistant, and super smooth. Not really polished but no sharp edges.

Quinns hands has like flat pieces of sheet metal in them for the fingers. they aren't round wire. I kind of like it, it just feels weird compared to my other two girls hands. She is a Rifrano or a Local Grade doll.
Yes, my lady is a Rifrano. If you have time to browse there, you'll see familiar faces :) Site is slow for me. So all the folks saying knockoff or fake are not wrong, but how can a company that makes dolls fake their own products. I would never have known who made my doll if I'd not asked the seller who made the doll.
She was very truthful to me. Not all sellers are dishonest in China LOL Yeah they use WM pics... gotta lure them in, right? LOL
That is a very cool idea for fingers. Slender design. Which is what my lady needs. tiny hands. Having a magic bullet palm plate would be a challenge.
CC is right. A 6YE doll has the same wire wrist design in some of it's dolls too. Just like mine. all different designs :)

INFORMATIONS