Starpery.com

Head will not seat fully into the neck connector?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
dollnomore
Former Member

Head will not seat fully into the neck connector?

Post by dollnomore »

I bought my 125cm doll from a reseller. When I got it, the head would not seat fully into the neck connector, leaving a gap between head and body and the head spins freely....

I think inside the connector to the body, towards the bottom, there is what looks like a drop of weld or metal drop. When the head is screwed on, it contacts with the weld or metal drop and the head cannot be completely screwed in.

Then the head swings around freely since its not seated all the way at the bottom. Its very disturbing when I turn her over, her head swings around backwards and looks at me!! Yikes!!

Other than that my girl is flawless. If anyone has had this problem or knows if there is anything that can be done, let me know.

Somebody was telling me to put a nut, washer and rubber washer on it so that when the head and neck makes contact with the rubber washer, it will resist the natural turning. I dont know.. I will look into this further.

Thanks for any help..

dollnomore
Former Member

Re: Head will not seat fully into the neck connector?

Post by dollnomore »

Also the booklet says AS Doll... Anyone know of this manufacturer??

If I knew then maybe I could contact them.

ZannyDanger
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by ZannyDanger »

Hey Kevin,

I'm not too familiar with ASDolls but maybe this could indeed help: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95010&p=1244044&hil ... p#p1244044
(the dimensions for the flat washer might differ due to different head connectors, m16 is for Jinsan)

This should stop the head from spinning around freely, however if there's still a huge gap between the head and the neck because of the weld spot, it won't solve the cosmetic issue.

If that still bothers you, you could either ask AS to send you a shorter one, cut the one you have slightly with a grinder (watch for sharp edges and clean the threads), or find an equivalent at your local hardware store.

Hope this helps,

ZD

viktorsx

Post by viktorsx »

You could try with washers or rubber o-rings that fit M16 = 16mm until You get right size from seller.

My M16 is 1 cm into head and 1,5 cm into body = 2,5 cm total length.

I took a M16 rod and file / dremel down the threads 1,5 cm and then cut the rod at 2,5 cm, with some tape around the filed down part it now slides down into body, my head is so thight to neck TPE so it hold rather good, maybe not upside down ...

Now i only need to find a diametrically right dimension neodyme magnet and drill into the 1,5 cm neck part M16.

HTH
viktorsx
/* Simplicity is very Complex ... */

dollnomore
Former Member

Post by dollnomore »

ZannyDanger- Your other forum page and pictures were very helpful. Question: The neck connector needs to be above the TPE some to get the top rubber washer around it, correct? Does the rubber washer work by slowing the bolt from the head from turning? It does not need some contact point on the bolt from the head?

That gap is there, so the washer will only contact the bolt from the head only, correct?

dollnomore
Former Member

Post by dollnomore »

ZannyDanger- Also, your comment about shortening the length of the head bolt makes sense to close the gap.

I tried and tried to pull out the head bolt but its very tight. Holding her head for leverage is hard too. Is it possible that the bolt has been permanently bonded into the head.. and to take it out may destroy the head or make it impossible to re-install ??

And finally... say I am able to dremel the end of the bolt off, would the edges need to be filed down or something so that it can screw down into the neck connector? The current head bolt is slanted on a 45 degree down to a flat end.

Just getting advice... Your wisdom is seriously appreciated !

terabyte
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by terabyte »

This may or may not help as I have a WM doll. When I 1st got my doll there was gap of a 1/4 inch between the neck and the head. I took the head off and couldn't get the threaded head bolt out. I used some pliers and was able to unthread the bolt from the head by grabbing it from the inside and turning. Turns out the threads on were not cleaned up very well, I put some penetrating oil on the bolt threads and the head threads. Used the pliers to thread the bolt in and out a few times, that fixed the gap issue.

dollnomore
Former Member

Post by dollnomore »

Terabyte- Thanks for the insight. I will try to get that bolt out again. Its hard to hold a doll head and do this. I tried channel locks, but could not get it. Maybe I will try vice grips to turn it. I will look at it tomorrow.. Thanks !

ZannyDanger
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by ZannyDanger »

Hey Kevin,
Kevin21108 wrote:ZannyDanger- Your other forum page and pictures were very helpful. Question: The neck connector needs to be above the TPE some to get the top rubber washer around it, correct? Does the rubber washer work by slowing the bolt from the head from turning? It does not need some contact point on the bolt from the head?

That gap is there, so the washer will only contact the bolt from the head only, correct?
You might need to use more than 2 washers if there is a significant gap, the friction obtained by the rubber washers is by compression between the flat steel washer and the base of the head as you thread it in, which is why i recommend using a flat washer that sits directly on the neck connector as a base so that the rubber washers won't damage the skin of her neck over time. The rubber washers get crushed together and make her head tight this way. This should definitely work regardless of the head bolt size. :thumbs_up:

Kevin21108 wrote: ZannyDanger- Also, your comment about shortening the length of the head bolt makes sense to close the gap.

I tried and tried to pull out the head bolt but its very tight. Holding her head for leverage is hard too. Is it possible that the bolt has been permanently bonded into the head.. and to take it out may destroy the head or make it impossible to re-install ??

And finally... say I am able to dremel the end of the bolt off, would the edges need to be filed down or something so that it can screw down into the neck connector? The current head bolt is slanted on a 45 degree down to a flat end.

Just getting advice... Your wisdom is seriously appreciated !

Like Terabyte said, try using pliers to try and remove the head bolt. I would recommend using a sturdy rubber band or something similar to protect the threads. If the bolt doesn't come off this way then it's possible that AS has welded it in place, so be careful not to force it too much.

You could still cut if off some if needed though, just make sure to cover her head completely. Cutting the bolt with a grinder/saw should be relatively easy, you'll want to cut it as straight as possible. One very helpful trick before cutting is if you can find a nut or two that will fit the bolt. In this case you can thread them in before making the cut, and removing them afterwards will reform and clean the threads nicely. Probably the best way to do this. Cutting it will probably leave sharp edges which can be filed down a bit for easier threading and safer handling, it doesn't need to be a perfect 45° though! :D

Handy-dandy video:

Hope this helps!

:glou:

ZD

dollnomore
Former Member

Post by dollnomore »

Hey ZannyDanger- Awesome videos.. cool idea putting a bolt into a drill and with a hacksaw, using the spinning of the drill to do the cutting on the hacksaw. Thanks a lot.. you gave me some good ideas.. now, if I can just get the bolt out of the head!

dollnomore
Former Member

Post by dollnomore »

My experience on Aliexpress buyer protection has been great. I disputed my doll with the neck problem and the seller has agreed to refund the money i paid in full. I do have to pay for the shipping, but its a good deal since the doll is now "used." Hopefully all goes well. I ordered the same doll again from a seller I worked with before on notorious Alibaba.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Kevin21108 wrote:My experience on Aliexpress buyer protection has been great. I disputed my doll with the neck problem and the seller has agreed to refund the money i paid in full. I do have to pay for the shipping, but its a good deal since the doll is now "used." Hopefully all goes well. I ordered the same doll again from a seller I worked with before on notorious Alibaba.
And how much is shipping back to the seller? just curious. :)

dollnomore
Former Member

Post by dollnomore »

Well i was wondering the same thing. Sadly, I found out Ups and fed ex gave me a $700-800 range for shipping back to china. Both claimed that recent issues in trade with china has inflammed the shipping prices.

So the seller on Aliexpress offered to send a new doll head with the bolt cut down some. The hope is that it will not hit the weld drop and tighten the gap. Shipping is way over the cost of the doll, so a return is not happening.

I will update what happens.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Kevin21108 wrote:Well i was wondering the same thing. Sadly, I found out Ups and fed ex gave me a $700-800 range for shipping back to china. Both claimed that recent issues in trade with china has inflammed the shipping prices.

So the seller on Aliexpress offered to send a new doll head with the bolt cut down some. The hope is that it will not hit the weld drop and tighten the gap. Shipping is way over the cost of the doll, so a return is not happening.

I will update what happens.
Yes sir I figured as much. That is good of the seller. Weights and sizes are what drive prices high. As well as crossing Continents. and of course profits for UPS and FedEx! Trade BS?.. yeah that has begun too
According to info about screwing on the head, Head Bolt added to body, revolves about 3 full turns with some tape added to threads. when adding head, should revolve 8-9 times to be seated.
This came from a Youtube video of fixing a wobbly head. Tape added, etc. The guy is on the money. I followed what he did and head has been perfect.
Just a tip for future reference :)

dollnomore
Former Member

Post by dollnomore »

What kind of tape?
Tape added to the threads going into the neck, head or both?
Can you attach the utube video, but if not i can try to find it.. ?

INFORMATIONS