Starpery.com

Skeleton repair?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Stepford_CT
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Skeleton repair?

Post by Stepford_CT »

david 68 wrote:if a name brand doll skeleton brakes from poor engineering ,then its time to find a better brand.These dolls shouldn't fall apart, Just my thought.
Not only poor engineering, but also poor design.

I am surprised they haven't started using carbon-fiber to manufacture the skeleton. It's cheaper, lighter, and stronger where it counts.

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

Hi LokianGOP,
do you have any news? What happened to your doll? Could you fix it?
Mara (Dreamdoll Tania) - holiday trip (outdoor photos) and introduction
Lucia (Passiondolls 160cm Muscle Doll) - introduction and photos
Keira (Phicen Arhian Pirate) - outdoor adventures

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

jpcbird wrote:
Hungry Bear wrote:I hate to say this, but a broken hip is almost always um, terminal. I work with metal mostly, but synthetics fairly often. They do not like each other. To be honest, I am surprised they make TPE and steel work so well. IMHO if the skeleton fails, in a way that is un-fixable, its time for a new doll.

I agree you could re-weld the joint but it would fail again. You would not be able to close the surgery cut in TPE.
From what I've seen of china manufacturing, they do not use nylon nuts or lock tight. They do not tig weld the skeletons.
They use a flux wire mig (gas less) and get poor penetration into very thin tubing. IMO

It's a fine line between the improvements needed and the $ the buyer will pay now.
In most cases of re-welding. you insert a pipe/round stock inside the existing pipe and weld. It'd not break again. These skeletons are just thin tubing. Access?? yep tough, but not impossible. Peeling back the TPE on the leg would not be difficult. At the hip would be the challenge. That's where melting that TPE would get tricky. Asbestos/welders blanket.. And LOTS of soaking wet towels... to aid in keeping areas cool. Be hell of a lot of work, but not exactly impossible. Flux core welding is very tricky on thin metals. Sealing up the scar would be LOTS of fun too!! :whistle: :roll:

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

For your information: It is possible to repair such a defect.
Successful repair of an irreparable skeletal fracture

IL_Doll_Repairman
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by IL_Doll_Repairman »

I see some people discussing Mig welder? There are other welders too - TIG, Jewelry spot welders (some with or without shielding gas type) Some of those small spot welders have very small tips - good for jewelry clasp repairs, eyeglasses repairs. The smaller the incision - the less havoc you wreak. I suggest using a very fine welder rather than a heavy duty one.

Some welders for jewelry have a sharpened tungsten tip which instantly retracts and welds similar to a laser. Youtube has videos demonstrating.

Even better still is a laser welder - like for jewelry- of course then you have to figure out how to manuever the part to be welded into the machine. The laser welders- that is a nice clean weld- and the incision would be small.

Ive been looking for a small tabletop laser welder for years in fixer upper condition with no luck as new ones go for big bucks.

With the world thinking about batteries, and cells, and replacing your own cells, building your ownn cells - battery terminal spot welders are shown as DIY device and also online as finished products. Those are all options for welding.

Some are better than others -Im just saying there is alot of types of welders and welding techniques.

Choose the one that is right for you.

haremlover
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by haremlover »

TPE is flammable. And melts.

For that reason welding in situ . . . . is more probably than not a no no.

Best wishes

Harem
Latest reviews coming for Irontech and FJ doll silicone ladies.

Chloé's book
is available from The-Doll-House
- - - -
Here's Coverdoll Yolanda
- - - -
Reviews for:
-DS-OR-JY-SY-Jarliet-Vivid-SM-SE-ZOne-JM-Sino-Sanhui-Pipedream--XY-WM-Elsa Babe-SM Silicone Siliko-XYcolo-Starpery-Elsa Babe-FutureDoll-Zelex-Irontech-FJ Doll
- - - -
YouTube Doll Review Channel
-https://www.youtube.com/@sexdoll-reviews-

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

LokianGOP wrote:I just discovered my doll has a broken pelvis.
I can feel INSIDE it.
Is this impossible to repair, as it would involve welding?
From what I can tell, the area that is broken is marked in red.
You could cut her out from the back and remove the frame take it to a welder, bring it back put her inside and glue her up. .
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

samara78 wrote:
I can feel INSIDE it.
You could cut her out from the back and remove the frame take it to a welder, bring it back put her inside and glue her up. .
Really? This sounds like a very big cut. Down to the hip joints to remove the screws which holds the legs?

By the way: LokianGOP was last logged in on April 1st.

BigFrank666
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BigFrank666 »

I'd like to hear how (or if) this has been resolved and I feel your pain.

I received a NEW doll direct from the manufacturer (TDF approved mfr) on Monday 6/4/18. After unboxing and inspection, everything looked good. I stood her up. No problem. She then remained in a lying down position on my bed for the next few days, only placed in a seated position a few times to try out some different heads and wigs. Day 5 (yesterday 6/9/18) I tried to sit her up to take a few pics for the GLOWING review I was writing and planned to post and....

SNAP!!!!! WTF????

Broken back/waist joint! Seriously. After literally no use or abuse. This is a very heavy doll and my guess is they didn't beef up the joints to accommodate the extra weight. She's now just a big, gorgeous FLOPPY mess!

I contacted the vendor immediately but, being the weekend and being 12 hours behind in time zones, I haven't heard back yet on what my options are.

Their website states a 1 year warranty on repairs, but the buyer has to pay freight to return the doll (my UPS cost will be more than $1000! Yikes!)

Hopefully I'll hear back soon and will update this post or just add the experience to my review of the doll (once posted) on the manufacturer's forum. I'm not naming them now (but perhaps I should?) because I want to give them a chance to reply and work out a solution.

I have a feeling I'll be doing some surgery on my own in the near future, so.....yeah. Not a happy customer right now.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

BigFrank666 wrote:I'd like to hear how (or if) this has been resolved and I feel your pain.

I received a NEW doll direct from the manufacturer (TDF approved mfr) on Monday 6/4/18. After unboxing and inspection, everything looked good. I stood her up. No problem. She then remained in a lying down position on my bed for the next few days, only placed in a seated position a few times to try out some different heads and wigs. Day 5 (yesterday 6/9/18) I tried to sit her up to take a few pics for the GLOWING review I was writing and planned to post and....

SNAP!!!!! WTF????

Broken back/waist joint! Seriously. After literally no use or abuse. This is a very heavy doll and my guess is they didn't beef up the joints to accommodate the extra weight. She's now just a big, gorgeous FLOPPY mess!

I contacted the vendor immediately but, being the weekend and being 12 hours behind in time zones, I haven't heard back yet on what my options are.

Their website states a 1 year warranty on repairs, but the buyer has to pay freight to return the doll (my UPS cost will be more than $1000! Yikes!)

Hopefully I'll hear back soon and will update this post or just add the experience to my review of the doll (once posted) on the manufacturer's forum. I'm not naming them now (but perhaps I should?) because I want to give them a chance to reply and work out a solution.

I have a feeling I'll be doing some surgery on my own in the near future, so.....yeah. Not a happy customer right now.
Brand new doll.
Weak welds? Broken bolt? This is the drawback to these heavy dolls. Salesmen seem to be pushing thick dolls lately. Instinct advises, wait a year or 2 before considering one, while they iron out the kinks. :)
They may be able to send you replacement parts, if you know exactly what broke. If it is a weld, ship it back :(
If it is something like a hinge or bolt, you may be able to get a replacement part(s) from them.

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

Hi All, That sucks big time Frank.

Especially with a SY 176, she is a big doll and the factory may need to rethink the mid section joint design.

Sketch from Thismeanswar! :thumbs_up:

I have confidence your vendor will assist, and there should be an option to get a freight coupon for return to the factory at the companies discounted fright rates (that your vendor can negotiate with them for).

As for welding frames on tpe dolls, you need to incise, and then use a heat shield (see image below) around the weld site to prevent the arc corona heat melting the tpe. I recommend tig and sequence spot welds to minimise heat transfer. Fantastic Plastic and I discussed this in this topic.

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... lit=corona

Cheers Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Lilith Un Rama - RD She Devil Custom Bod 10 (DOLLMILF and TDF Doll Queen)
Natasha-RD Classic - Bod 6
Lexi-BT 3 (C) Star Bod 3 Gel butt & boob implants
Lorelei-SANHUI 165R cup my custom elf head 007
Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Ayla-WM dolls - 155cm DD cup model
Jessica Jade-PD - 163cm, Penelope fitness version .
Mazzy M-JY/AS Doll 166cm fitness model
Pearl-JY150cm Fantasy Fitness my design
BaBs-PD 158cm Mega Boobs doll
Jessie-TB Deluxe-Jessica Model
Danny-YL Dolls-128cm Kylie model
Gypsy Kate-WM 140cm D cup head #36
Dommy-SANHUI 65cm Mini silicone doll
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

BigFrank666
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BigFrank666 »

Thanks Anung,

I just heard from Bonnie at SY Dolls (it's 10:00 AM Monday morning there, so she wasted no time) and she's sending a replacement doll. I've been very impressed with their level of customer service from Day 1. I just hope this new one lasts more than a week and hopefully I just got a bad one the first time. Every kind of manufactured item has a lemon slip through the cracks sometimes. I'm going to be extremely mindful of all of her joints. As for the broken one, maybe I'll proceed with some experimental surgery just in case I need to "operate" again! LOL

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Tsall wrote:
samara78 wrote:
I can feel INSIDE it.
Really? This sounds like a very big cut. Down to the hip joints to remove the screws which holds the legs?

By the way: LokianGOP was last logged in on April 1st.
I am putting a doll skeleton back inside of doll as we speak
Attachments
20180610_170213.jpg
20180610_170213.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1160 times
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

To be clear i did not remove her from there lol

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

BigFrank666 wrote:Thanks Anung,

I just heard from Bonnie at SY Dolls (it's 10:00 AM Monday morning there, so she wasted no time) and she's sending a replacement doll. I've been very impressed with their level of customer service from Day 1. I just hope this new one lasts more than a week and hopefully I just got a bad one the first time. Every kind of manufactured item has a lemon slip through the cracks sometimes. I'm going to be extremely mindful of all of her joints. As for the broken one, maybe I'll proceed with some experimental surgery just in case I need to "operate" again! LOL
What will you do with the old one? Perhaps donate it on the forum?

INFORMATIONS