Starpery.com

First attempt coloring

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
kojima

First attempt coloring

Post by kojima »

So, when I ordered Maaya, I went with pink nipples and labia. Honestly, I didn't much care for any of the factory colors, so I just picked the one I disliked the least. When I got her, I noticed how light it really was. After only 3 weeks, it's faded to be almost unnoticeable. I've also noticed her lips were getting dry and the pigment seemed almost flaky. I knew I needed to clean and oil her lips, but I also I knew that doing this would remove the makeup. So I broke down and finally cleaned off the factory lip make-up. After cleaning and oiling, I decided to give it my first attempt at coloring the lips and gave it a go at painting her teeth as well. And while I was at it, I decided to try coloring the nipples.

For the lips, I first tried to use lipstick.............. this turned into a futile fight with gummy, tacky color that would clump up and smear and overall made for a very uneven look. So I wrote off that brand of make-up and tried another brand. Neither one seemed to really work like the tutorials I've seen, so I can only guess I'll need to get a different kind of lipstick (something that's not a color-stay lipstick). In the meantime, I've decided to use eyeshadow as a color stain and give her lips a natural "lip-like" shade and followed advice I'd seen elsewhere on the forum to use an acrylic paint on her teeth.
With a low level flash
With a low level flash
Painting01.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 3105 times
Without flash
Without flash
Painting02.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3105 times
For the nipples, this was my first, second, third, fourth... attempt. Let's just say that it was a struggle to get them to look the way I wanted. The eye shadow went on pretty dark, so I used make-up remover in very sparing amounts (like, dabs on a Q-tip sparing) to lighten the shade. The one on the left I nailed the first time. It was soft and natural looking and I loved it.... the one on the right.... I had to wipe it clean and start over.... then start over again.... and again...... The method I used to achieve the look is far from efficient and consistent, but the shade I used just went on way too dark without dabbing it to lighten the shade, and dabbing produced a very inconsistent result each time. If I wiped or dabbed too much in one area, it would become too light and it was very hard to recover from. It took me about 2 hours to get that one nipple done. Here's the results:
Direct lighting
Direct lighting
Painting03.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3105 times
In shadow
In shadow
Painting04.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 3105 times
What do you guys think? Any comments, tips, or suggestions welcome!
Currently boarding:
青山真綾 (Maaya Aoyama) ::WM 153 #85::

Maaya's Doll Album

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: First attempt coloring

Post by samara78 »

Looks like a real girls boobs in my humble estimation.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

ZannyDanger
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by ZannyDanger »

Incredible job there kojima, especially for your 1st!! The teeth are a very, very nice touch! :angel:

:glou:

ZD

orchido

Post by orchido »

Nice work!

There is a tutorial video about applying lipstick on this forum somewhere, but I can never find it. I should start bookmarking the important issues.

Anyway, you should not use the lipstick on the doll with the applicator. Instead you should use a makeup brush to transfer the color from the lipstick tube to the doll.

I'm currently practicing lip coloring with Ms. Atleur paint for a more lasting color. Still long way to go...

Broven
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Broven »

Fantastic job, man! Those nipples look seriously good!!!

"You're my blue sky. You're my sunny day." - Dickey Betts

Anna Marie and Friends (Thindoll 162A-36)
February 2019 Coverdoll photo shoot

kojima

Post by kojima »

orchido wrote:Nice work!

There is a tutorial video about applying lipstick on this forum somewhere, but I can never find it. I should start bookmarking the important issues.

Anyway, you should not use the lipstick on the doll with the applicator. Instead you should use a makeup brush to transfer the color from the lipstick tube to the doll.

I'm currently practicing lip coloring with Ms. Atleur paint for a more lasting color. Still long way to go...
Here's Mishka1965's tutorial that I was using: https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=73837

It had a lot of handy links to products that I incorporated into Maaya's kit (I'll add here that I purchased a 3 piece baggage set to start keeping all of her things like clothing, make-up, hair products, perfume, etc. I went on a big shopping spree to buy her a bunch of stuff and managed to spend more on her than I've spent on myself in a good long while... 8O ). I tried to use Mishka's application method, using a brush, but it still managed to clump up and didn't want to spread. I used a normal hobby brush and not a make-up brush, so that might have affected it, but I still think it was the lipstick I used. Most lipstick you buy at the supermarket is the "long lasting" kind which are dry and waxy. Great for a real girl, not so great for applying to a doll. It just didn't go on very smooth. Everywhere I applied it, it simply stuck there; trying to brush it out and spread the color evenly across her lips just pushed it around, making a clump of lipstick where I would stop and rubbing off the place I'd just brushed over. When I tried to brush it back over the spot that had been rubbed off, it did the same thing in reverse. So I'm going to look into getting the brand Mishka recommended in a different set of shades and see if that helps. I noticed the lipstick seemed to come off the TPE very easily and didn't seem to have any longevity to its application. Personally, I was going for more of a permanent darkening of the lips so she would have a natural, unmade-up look, anyway. So I opted for the eye-shadow staining instead to give it a more lasting look.

Part of what drives me nuts about doing the make-up is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Hell, I read and re-read all of my posts on TDF just to make sure I didn't make spelling or grammar mistakes and to make sure that my sentences make sense and flow properly. As an example, I had to remove a comma in the previous sentence as the second half was not an independent clause :evidence: ............... don't judge me! Anyway, after I posted the photos of her face, I noticed that the lower lip had a light spot on the right side.... I immediately went to go touch it up. I guess, sometimes, you really are your own worst critic.
Currently boarding:

Maaya's Doll Album

Broven
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Broven »

kojima wrote: Part of what drives me nuts about doing the make-up is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Hell, I read and re-read all of my posts on TDF just to make sure I didn't make spelling or grammar mistakes and to make sure that my sentences make sense and flow properly. As an example, I had to remove a comma in the previous sentence as the second half was not an independent clause :evidence: ............... don't judge me!
That made me laugh. :D
kojima wrote: Anyway, after I posted the photos of her face, I noticed that the lower lip had a light spot on the right side.... I immediately went to go touch it up. I guess, sometimes, you really are your own worst critic.
Yeah, nothing shows up a flaw (and documents it for posterity) like a camera.... lol

"You're my blue sky. You're my sunny day." - Dickey Betts

Anna Marie and Friends (Thindoll 162A-36)
February 2019 Coverdoll photo shoot

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Dem is some sweet little Ta-Ta's! :multi: :multi: :multi:

Muninn
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Muninn »

kojima wrote: Part of what drives me nuts about doing the make-up is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Hell, I read and re-read all of my posts on TDF just to make sure I didn't make spelling or grammar mistakes and to make sure that my sentences make sense and flow properly. As an example, I had to remove a comma in the previous sentence as the second half was not an independent clause :evidence: ............... don't judge me!
Yep, I have that problem too! You've done a top job though, well done!

I'll have a look at that tutorial at some point, I need to give Lynne's nipples some attention... and then do her make up! :whistle:
(They/Them)
Companion of the lovely Lyngheiður a.k.a Lynne - A WM153 #85 - now she has a Doll Album!
Say Hi to her on "Dolls Alive"! - Lynne's Page

Booty Call Dolls
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Booty Call Dolls »

Thank you for sharing!
Love,
The BCD Girls
http://dolldesire.com/
. One vendor name kept coming up as being great at helping customers walk through the process, Booty Call Dolls. So I decided I would work with them on this first purchase, and did.
-princeoverit
You could not of found a better person to help you with your first doll. Jeff /Booty call dolls, knows his stuff... One of the few members that is a vendor and a real lover of dolls. He owns quite a few dolls, and really understands the love we all share.
-Just in time

hansdampf21
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by hansdampf21 »

Looks great!
Yes, eyeshadow and other pressed powder makeup products work well.
The advantage is that you can always remove it partly or completely with mineral oil.
To define or soften the edges use a a q-tip and a little bit of mineral oil, then dab it dry with a paper towel.

kojima

Post by kojima »

hansdampf21 wrote:Looks great!
Yes, eyeshadow and other pressed powder makeup products work well.
The advantage is that you can always remove it partly or completely with mineral oil.
To define or soften the edges use a a q-tip and a little bit of mineral oil, then dab it dry with a paper towel.
I actually used a Q-Tip in combination with my finger for it. I had make-up remover on my finger like a palette, which I would dab on the doll with a Q-Tip. I had to be real careful not to remove too much of the make-up, but eventually got it down. Anywhere I had color that I didn't want color, I would dab the make-up remover with the "wet" end of the Q-Tip and let it sit for a minute or two while I went about my work. After it sat for a bit, I would use the clean, dry end of the Q-Tip to wipe the area clean. It worked well enough in the end, but it took some playing around to get the one nipple to match the other.
Currently boarding:

Maaya's Doll Album

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Super job. You can see the Love in your work :)

I like a woman who does not wear too much makeup so I'm very conservative. I've bought a few makeup pencils. They are a wax based type. They do not last too long, but they are very light when applying. So it is hard to over do it with these wax based pencils.
Candelilla wax
Carnauba wax
Microcrystalline wax
Bees wax
Vaseline
Castor oil
Cocoa Butter
They go on better for human skin than dolls.

JP2003

Post by JP2003 »

what did you use for the teeth?

soniawm172cm

Post by soniawm172cm »

very nice work. for my ladies nipples I apply "275 crazy for coffee" lipstick. I simply draw it on in a circular motion and then I press a makeup removal wipe against the nipple. no wiping just put the wipe in my palm and press it against her nipple a few times then let dry. this lipstick shade looks great on fair skin, medium skin and even super dark tan skin.
Attachments
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2087 times
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2087 times
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG (138.57 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG (330.03 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

INFORMATIONS