Starpery.com

Misaligned neck tube from the factory -148cm

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
surelyujest71
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Misaligned neck tube from the factory -148cm

Post by surelyujest71 »

So... the topic pretty much says it all. She's a beauty, but the factory won't admit culpability in this. My sales agent tried, and the most they said is that I can cut into the neck to reposition the tube. I'm thinking about getting another piece of tubing the same size, cutting it in half, sharpening one end, and trying to shove it down alongside the neck tube to get an accurate cut, then moving the cut-out to the other side of the tube and gluing it in....

My sales agent is sending me some tpe glue and tpe repair material on her own dime, as well as another wig.

You should be able to see how the head is offset to the side when installed, which causes the tpe to pull when screwing the head on and off, and makes that large bulge to one side where the head tpe overlaps the neck. Not to mention that the head is simply and clearly off-center. In the last photo, you can see just how the neck tube is offset to the left, and a little back of center. (It came with 2 heads as a Black Friday deal - both heads fit identically.)

If anyone has a better method for fixing this icky problem, please let me know!
Attachments
You can see here how the head is simply... not centered on the neck.
You can see here how the head is simply... not centered on the neck.
20171218_101509.jpg (111.11 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
On this side, you can see how the tpe from the head has to bulge pretty badly out in order to cover the offset neck tpe.
On this side, you can see how the tpe from the head has to bulge pretty badly out in order to cover the offset neck tpe.
Dol_neck_01.jpg (491.84 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
On this side, you can see a pretty good gap.
On this side, you can see a pretty good gap.
Doll_neck_02.jpg (326.37 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
You can see that the neck tube is offset to the back and to one side.  Clearly the tube was not aligned properly when it went in to the mold.
You can see that the neck tube is offset to the back and to one side. Clearly the tube was not aligned properly when it went in to the mold.
20171218_191328.jpg (278.76 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Misaligned neck tube from the factory - Jellynew JND07-1

Post by samara78 »

That is too bad about not getting help from the factory.
Maybe i can give some advice at the appropriate time.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

surelyujest71
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by surelyujest71 »

samara78 wrote:That is too bad about not getting help from the factory.
Maybe i can give some advice at the appropriate time.

Thanks. Anyone out there who has info or ideas on how to make a clean repair of this defect is someone I'd love to hear from.

I just want her made right... me having to do it means asking a lot of people.

It's stressing my sales agent that this happened, too.

Pure Joy

Post by Pure Joy »

Might not be much help and I'm not sure how to re-texture the skin after but the most sensible fix would be to shave the bulging side down a bit to match the other side. No Idea how to achieve this but it averts any major surgery complications.
Spread the word on how Jellynew isn't making this right. Good luck with whatever repairs you decide on.
"Never underestimate the power of perfectly shaped spheroidal pairs." ~Ben Wah

harvey48
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by harvey48 »

That is BS Jellynew should send you a new doll. Obviously Jellynew has no quality control.

Time to place Jellynew on the do not buy list!!

Hungry Bear
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Hungry Bear »

So, the manufacturer is Jellynew? Was the sales agent a TDF vendor? This is such a raw deal. Some, if not most of the dolls on ebay and Amazon are clearly fake, or copies, or counterfeit, but at least they can be held accountable and you have some security. Dealing with China, can be like rolling the dice, ya get what ya get and no way to enforce any kind of customer satisfaction. So sorry this happened, I know it was a chunk of change, but the feeling of being had is the worst.
It is okay to feed the bear! In fact, it is highly recommended! Just be sure to count your fingers afterword.

Hungry Bear
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Hungry Bear »

Oh, just FYI, I have two 140cm dolls, one racyme from ebay, and one from MSLD, and they both have that same exact head. I think the doll world is very small indeed, and there is a lot of collusion between mfgrs. Just my opinion.
It is okay to feed the bear! In fact, it is highly recommended! Just be sure to count your fingers afterword.

The Romantic
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Romantic »

Listen, may not matter to you but you do realize your face is visible in the top photo, right? Just wanted to let you know.
"Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze."

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

The Romantic wrote:Listen, may not matter to you but you do realize your face is visible in the top photo, right? Just wanted to let you know.

We blurred it out. Thanks for the heads (face?) up...
TJ
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

surelyujest71
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by surelyujest71 »

TJ_Foxx wrote:
The Romantic wrote:Listen, may not matter to you but you do realize your face is visible in the top photo, right? Just wanted to let you know.

We blurred it out. Thanks for the heads (face?) up...
TJ
Thanks. I'd completely forgotten about that.

I'm sure this is a rare thing to have come out of the factory, it's just that this rare thing happened to me, and now I'm stuck with it. I'm not gonna shave the side of the neck, tho!! The ideal for me is to get the center cored out so the rod can be shifted over, and the resulting gap filled with the material that had just been removed.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this sort of repair. (Even if it's a repair that shouldn't be needed in the first place!)

I don't want to end up doing a hatchet job on my brand new doll.

Endless War
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Endless War »

I really sorry to hear that bro. I have the same issue with Paz (WM160b) The left side of her neck is far larger than the right side, although its not as pronounced as on your doll because Paz's head is much bigger. Interested in what solutions people offer here.
Instagram: @the_art_dolls

The Romantic
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Romantic »

Coring out from the center (fat side) to put on other side is what I was thinking as well. Just no idea, or expertise on the best way to do it.
"Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze."

surelyujest71
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: Misaligned neck tube from the factory -148cm

Post by surelyujest71 »

My sales agent really is making efforts for me - sending repair material and tpe glue on her own expense, and is including yet another wig as apology.

and I honestly didn't want to have to see this sent back to the factory for repairs, as that would take such a long time to ship there and back.

I think I know what to do, now. She's a beautiful doll. Once I have this taken care of, she'll be perfect.

kojima

Post by kojima »

This is coming from someone who doesn't have their own doll yet, so take it for what it's worth.

Rather than tampering with the outside and shaving down where the neck bulges, I think your best bet would be a repair that focuses on the interior, such that when you are done, any blemishes and imperfections won't be visible, as the head will be covering it up. What I'm seeing is similar to what you seem to had in mind, but my personal preference is to have cutting guides in place before I go digging around. To that end, I think you'd need to start by finding the center of the neck: Draw two, perpendicular lines bisecting the neck into two halves. Where they intersect would be your center; it won't be precision, but it'll be a heck of a lot closer than where it is now.

Once you have the center of the neck, find the diameter of the neck piping or buy a tube of the same diameter. Draw a circle of that diameter around the center to visualize where the neck tube should be in relation to the neck (Part of this circle looks like it will overlap the current neck tube). With your visual references in place, you'll need to hollow out the TPE that lies within this circle. A dremel sounds like it would work well here. Not sure how far down you'll need to hollow out, but I get the feeling it may need to go all the way down to the shoulder tubing. It looks like the neck wasn't straight when they poured the TPE, so you probably need to go at least to the neck joints (or the bottom of the gooseneck, not sure what skeleton you've got). If not, the neck seems like it would be cocked to one side when it's straightened out. ~(o.O)~

Once you have your hole hollowed out, you'll essentially have two holes that overlap. One where the neck tube currently is (which is clearly not centered) and a hole where the neck tube should be. Once you have the tube in the correct position, you'll have a hollow space running down the side where the original hole was. That hollow will need to be addressed. How, I'm not sure; again, spit balling with no actual experience, here. Other users might be able to tell you if it's possible to fill that hole with spare bits of TPE to create a fill, or if there is something else you can do to fill it in. Simply gluing the tube into its new hole and leaving the hollow might be a viable option? At least the head would go on straight. But it might cause some squishiness on that side of the neck.

Again, I just placed an order for my first doll, so I don't own one just yet, but from the perspective of a guy who enjoys finding ways to fix things even when the proper tools aren't on hand (can you tell MacGyver was my hero? :whistle: ), that looks to be the most straight forward approach to correcting the problem. Other users might have more experience and better advice to offer.

That does suck that the manufacturer won't do anything about it, though. It's pretty clear that the neck tubing wasn't in the mold straight when the TPE was poured. Basic quality control should have caught this.
Currently boarding:
青山真綾 (Maaya Aoyama) ::WM 153 #85::

Maaya's Doll Album

surelyujest71
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by surelyujest71 »

I have the impression that it's not standard practice to install the heads in the factory, although this would have caught the flaw. I'm starting to visualize what a tool for coring out the center of the neck to make this right, and yes, it'll have to go down to the base of the neck pipe at the joint. The neck tpe is straight, it's just the neck tube is not. I already know what I'd do with the molds to make sure this sort of thing couldn't ever happen again... and it'd be such an amazingly cheap fix. a screw-in plug that's screws into the neck tube and holds it in place during the pour. no neck would ever be off-center again.

If one in a thousand of a product has a flaw, I'm the guy who gets the flawed product. lol. This one, at least, I can visualize easily how to fix. I'm a little used to how often lady luck kicks me in the nuts... still leaves me a bit peeved, for a short while, but even good quality control can only do so much, and I'm the guy who gets to be the next step in QC. owell. she's a beautiful doll, and soon I won't have anything at all I could complain about with her. both heads are great. The rest of the body is perfect. Even the palms of hands and bottom of feet are well detailed. I won't even talk about the baby-powder rubdowns. ;)

Soon, she'll be perfect, and otherwise, is precisely what I ordered, to the last detail.

INFORMATIONS