Starpery.com

Will cold damage my TPE doll?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
GollyGee
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Will cold damage my TPE doll?

Post by GollyGee »

I recently acquired my first doll, a doll from RLSD.

I have an issue at home with privacy. I would move out, but I can't because I don't make enough money to have my own place, so I'm thinking of keeping Trix in the back of my car, in her shipping box, or a similar container. It's pretty cold already where I am, and winter is coming... Will she be okay out there? Is there an appropriate temperature range for storing TPE dolls?
Last edited by brigittes hubbie on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: doll mentioned is YLD, name edited out

GollyGee
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Re: Will cold damage my TPE doll?

Post by GollyGee »

I don't understand why my post was edited.

grimreefer24601

Post by grimreefer24601 »

I've had several samples of TPE sitting in my freezer for about two weeks now. No issues with just cold. In a car temperature will vary from hot to cold. Heat will definitely affect TPE. MJ survived a night in my car in Lincoln, NE when it was 20F. No issues.

somethingrandom

Post by somethingrandom »

As Grimm said, in his tests TPE is fine at freezer temps. Some one suggested TPE should be safe until about -30C (though this hasn't been tested), and depending where you live the outdoors could conceivably get that cold.

You'd "probably" be fine in the deep of winter once it gets cold and stays cold, but the main point that comes up when people mention storing dolls outside in the winter is the fact that TPE is porous and susceptible to mold, which could definitely be a problem if the weather gets warmer during the day rather than stay frozen.

Nord
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Nord »

I remember a discussion where people claimed that the TPE would get kinda stale from low temperatures, temporarily losing elasticity and would crack more easily if stretched before warmed up.

The TPE dolls are also full of mineral oil, which google says has a freezing point at about 24 °F / −4 °C. I have no idea how that would affect a doll, if at all, but worth a thought.

In any way, it may be fine for storage in a neutral position, but I would at least make sure to warm up the doll properly before bending any limbs.
Aio - Sanhui 160cm AIO "Nonoka"
Rei - WM 140cm D-cup #39 & #53
Nymph - DH168 80cm "Shiori"
Ku - DS Ex Lite 163cm "Kayla"
Elva & Alva - 6Ye 65cm #M5 "Mina"

RockiesDoll140
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by RockiesDoll140 »

Would the TPE be more susceptible to indentation issues if sitting in a cold environment for an extended period of time, say in the original box? I might need to store her following some recent living arrangement changes that are going to be happening and am also in a cold area, so curious about it, especially if she'll be lying down and not standing.

grimreefer24601

I have a piece that's been sitting crimped in my freezer. It doesn't seem to care.
20181129_211105.jpg
20181129_211105.jpg (4.52 MiB) Viewed 1864 times
I don't see that cold has made any difference.

This is all is a stable freezer. Results may be different in an environment where the temperature changes.

Grim

grimreefer24601

Nord wrote:I remember a discussion where people claimed that the TPE would get kinda stale from low temperatures, temporarily losing elasticity and would crack more easily if stretched before warmed up.

The TPE dolls are also full of mineral oil, which google says has a freezing point at about 24 °F / −4 °C. I have no idea how that would affect a doll, if at all, but worth a thought.

In any way, it may be fine for storage in a neutral position, but I would at least make sure to warm up the doll properly before bending any limbs.
I'm going on three weeks in my freezer. They are perfect. Stretchy as can be. I'm thinking of using them for cold packs.

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

grimreefer24601 wrote:
Nord wrote:I remember a discussion where people claimed that the TPE would get kinda stale from low temperatures, temporarily losing elasticity and would crack more easily if stretched before warmed up.

I'm going on three weeks in my freezer. They are perfect. Stretchy as can be. I'm thinking of using them for cold packs.
Stale comes from Low Humidity/Forced air heat. Kat/Janie/Lisa are all from the 4th quarter of 2016. I got Lisa used over the summer until then she lived in her box with her house having Forced air heat. She is quite a bit more brittle than Kat or Janie. Vaseline and moisturizing cold cream seemed to stop and reverse the damage.

But I have left the window open down to temperatures in the 20s with no real problems.
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18
Sarah-Jo ~ MLD 168DD #39 ~ 6-18-19
Jennifer ~ MLD 165F #2 ~ 11-27-19
Brittany ~ WM155 #46 ~ 3-13-20
Heather ~ WM163C #38 ~ 8-14-20
Melina ~ PIB GND Bitsy Fairy ~ 1-1-21
Aliel~ RD BT2 Winter ~ 2-13-21
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21