Starpery.com

Preventing stains from dark colored clothing on TPE

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
FutureIsRobots

Preventing stains from dark colored clothing on TPE

Post by FutureIsRobots »

Hey all, I thought I'd share some knowledge I acquired while dealing with TPE staining issues arising from my girl Shinobu's dark green polyester sleeveless hooded minidress. (You wouldn't believe how hard I had to search to find that simple dress. It was crucial to her look.)

You may have already read that odorless mineral spirits are good for stain removal and cleaning, but the key is prevention.

Get a small bucket. Add a gallon of water, a cup of white vinegar and 1/4 cup of table salt. Soak the clothing articles in question for 24 hours and then rinse. If color is still coming out in the rinse water, put it back in the vinegar solution and soak another 24 hours.

Here's the source for that: https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/H ... s-35015330

Shinobu reports that she's not getting green stains on her bottom from her dress anymore after this treatment. Everyone's happy because she's so adorable in it!
I use dolls to bring my fantasy girls into 3D! <3
Lisa - Kiyori - Shinobu - Kari - Misty - Emily

DexterQuest
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Preventing stains from dark colored clothing on TPE

Post by DexterQuest »

I wonder if vinegar is the key ingredient. I've been adding vinegar to all my laundry and haven't had a stain yet.

The Romantic
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Romantic »

FutureIsRobots wrote: You may have already read that odorless mineral spirits are good for stain removal and cleaning, but the key is prevention.
I would be interested in your source that Odorless Mineral Spirits is good for TPE doll cleaning? As OMS is a pretty good solvent that in essence breaks down and destroys oils, I would be surprised anyone would think it's a safe product for TPE usage. It seems to me that repeated use would seriously degrade it.
"Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze."

FutureIsRobots

Post by FutureIsRobots »

I originally got it from this TDF thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=63178

But in searching for that thread, I came across this one: viewtopic.php?f=227&t=77364&p=1030226&hilit=tpe+solvent Which shows that OMS is a bad idea. Well shit. Guess I got lucky. Not gonna use that anymore.

The Romantic
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Romantic »

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Yeah, better safe than sorry when it comes to any type solvent. But regular or odorless "mineral spirits" especially. Since it specifically breaks down mineral oil.
"Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze."

That Guy

Post by That Guy »

FutureIsRobots wrote:Hey all, I thought I'd share some knowledge I acquired while dealing with TPE staining issues arising from my girl Shinobu's dark green polyester sleeveless hooded minidress. (You wouldn't believe how hard I had to search to find that simple dress. It was crucial to her look.)

You may have already read that odorless mineral spirits are good for stain removal and cleaning, but the key is prevention.

Get a small bucket. Add a gallon of water, a cup of white vinegar and 1/4 cup of table salt. Soak the clothing articles in question for 24 hours and then rinse. If color is still coming out in the rinse water, put it back in the vinegar solution and soak another 24 hours.

Here's the source for that: https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/H ... s-35015330

Shinobu reports that she's not getting green stains on her bottom from her dress anymore after this treatment. Everyone's happy because she's so adorable in it!
Good information. Have you tried this procedure on the nylon or polyester type garments? Does it work with these fabrics?

FutureIsRobots

Post by FutureIsRobots »

The garment I tried it on was polyester. Over the long run, it hasn't been 100% foolproof. I ended up buying a cotton dress of a lighter hue as a replacement.

Proceed with caution.

Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

I was thinking about trying this out but I have a few questions as I am no chemical engineer of any sort, lol!

I have the water and vinegar, but I feel like that is a lot of salt for this mixture. I'll have to buy more salt as my salt container is rather low.

Is it safe to just dump this mixture, after it has been used for clothing items, down the sink or bathtub drain?
Would the color bleed into this mixture? I haven't tried it yet, so I just want to know what to expect.

I have a few colored lingerie and clothing items that stain on impact, so I need to stop that from happening because damn, my doll looks so much hotter in red or black lingerie.

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

Discussed many times.
Here's what you need to fix colors and prevent bleed-
https://www.amazon.com/PRO-Retayne-1-2- ... 130&sr=8-6

left
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by left »

Dollyman25442 wrote:Discussed many times.
Here's what you need to fix colors and prevent bleed-
https://www.amazon.com/PRO-Retayne-1-2- ... 130&sr=8-6
How long would this last on the clothes before having to wash it with this again?

DollLyfe

Post by DollLyfe »

FutureIsRobots, do you have a picture of you doll in this dress you speak of? I'm curious to see it now.
Alyson: 6YE Amor 162cm B-Cup #N13 viewtopic.php?f=87&t=119805
Veronica: 6YE Amor 162cm B-Cup #N68 https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=121630
Jennifer: Entity 153cm E-cup WM#85 head viewtopic.php?f=87&t=119363
Summer: SiliDoll 135cm https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 1#p1609591
Natsuki: SMDoll 149B #37 viewtopic.php?f=269&t=122576

FutureIsRobots

Post by FutureIsRobots »

DollLyfe wrote:FutureIsRobots, do you have a picture of you doll in this dress you speak of? I'm curious to see it now.
I had to stop using her original dress because it did -slowly- keep bleeding green dye into Shinobu's skin. I ended up getting a lighter-colored dress for her. Fortunately, the discoloration has greatly dissipated over time.

So yeah, sorry about that, but I was wrong.
Attachments
My girl's 2D form -- The new dress is a better color match anyway.
My girl's 2D form -- The new dress is a better color match anyway.
dctg312-b2f81d1e-38b5-4403-b5b1-7e1ccaca41d8.jpg (359.63 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Shinobu cooling off back in July, the most recent pic I have handy
Shinobu cooling off back in July, the most recent pic I have handy
IMG_20190719_172935.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1720 times

DollLyfe

Post by DollLyfe »

That's cute on her. Nice outfit!
Alyson: 6YE Amor 162cm B-Cup #N13 viewtopic.php?f=87&t=119805
Veronica: 6YE Amor 162cm B-Cup #N68 https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=121630
Jennifer: Entity 153cm E-cup WM#85 head viewtopic.php?f=87&t=119363
Summer: SiliDoll 135cm https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 1#p1609591
Natsuki: SMDoll 149B #37 viewtopic.php?f=269&t=122576

INFORMATIONS