Starpery.com

Clothes & wigs, a few questions to avoid color bleeding

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
FirstOrder

Re: Clothes & wigs, a few questions to avoid color bleeding

Post by FirstOrder »

Thanks for those great bits of info :)

So I am on my 3rd wash of the light colored articles of clothing that I bought and so far I don't see any color bleeding for them . However 2 of the sports bra / training bras that I have do have black elastic trim . So needless to say that has me a bit concerned :( might have to have my doll stand on the black trim to see if it stains the bottoms of her feet before I put it on her.

I did pick up a white pair of knee high stockings that have a bright ornge, red, and yellow trim at the top . After one wash I noticed the Brite trim colors bleeding from one to another so it's safe to say they won't make the cut and will likely end up getting tossed .

As for the gays, whites , light blues and pinks as mentioned I am on their 3rd wash . I put them in the washing machine on delicate with warm water and some laundry soap. (Hope I am doing that right) and again , so far I am not seeing any color transfer from the light colors to the white and no color bleeding from the light colored strips to the whites. Just wish there was a sure fire way to tell if the clothes would be ok .

Was wondering, are swimsuits a safe bet or can they cause just as many issues ?

As for Audrey, she is a timeless beauty :)

secretagentman wrote:Retayne will only work with natural fibers (cotton, wool, flax et al). It may also have some limited success with cellulose fibers.
Using Retayne on fabrics blended with natural fibers can also work - let's just say it depends.

Regarding ancillary items such as thread and elastic...yes, you should be concerned. These are never tested. Some are better than others but there's no way of telling.

In a nutshell there are no guarantees nor hard-fast rules. Your best chance is hoping that your color and fabric selection will reduce the chances of staining. Just buy from places with liberal return policies. I could get more technical but even the most experienced textiles expert can't know for sure whether any given fabric will stain tpe since tpe have never been part of any test benchmark. So yeah, we're on our own here. FYI, buying used can greatly improved your odds.

btw, love love love Audrey :D

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Clothes & wigs, a few questions to avoid color bleeding

Post by Mr Franz »

I've not tried colorfast treatments and such. I generally just wash things in the usual way and test anything I'm unsure of. One good tip is to buy used items. Generally, they've already been washed a number of times. Swap.com is a good source for used name brand clothes at great prices.

Another thing to watch out for is sewn in labels. Sometimes, the inks used will stain TPE even when the fabric itself is colorfast. :wink:

INFORMATIONS