Starpery.com

New video - TPE repairs, a comprehensive tutorial

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
harddk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: New video - TPE repairs, a comprehensive tutorial

Post by harddk »

Appreciate this tutorial alot. I'm about to do my first repair, and your video explains and shows the process really well. 5/5 rating!

Prometheus 2112
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Prometheus 2112 »

Going to practice for a couple hours on some test pieces today. Elbow and knee repairs on my to do list. Thanks so much for the instructive video!

P2112

Prometheus 2112
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Thanks Mishka1965 for your 'TPE repairs, a comprehensive tutorial', I was able to successfully fix some minor problems before they turned into big headaches.

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=109987

Grateful,

P2112

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

Your'e all welcome. I do these fixes all the time and scuffs and sometimes deep cuts are very repairable.
I've even done a repair deep to the metal and 1" long with a hot metal blade and searing the TPE together.

Mishka
Photographer and Doll Enthusiast
2018-2021 Photographing for JIUSHENG-DOLL,6YE,SinoDoll
2022-2023 Photographer/Reviewer for Zelex, TAYU, MRD and IronTech

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/Mishka_1965
Instagram Page:https://www.instagram.com/_mishka1965_/

Prometheus 2112
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Mishka1965 wrote:I've even done a repair deep to the metal and 1" long with a hot metal blade and searing the TPE together.

Mishka

Deep repair job! That would be an interesting video!

Thanks again Mishka!

P

smallcat
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by smallcat »

what about hard to reach areas? I have couple of guns but they blow larger areas I know of. Could I heat a "knife" to touch up the tight corners properly? I know if a knife is too hot it'll melt right through hehe.

I just noticed on another thread, this guy is heating "metal" pieces, similar to my knife idea. Duno if it works tho.

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

The hot knife works - but for most of us, there's no formula in this case to fix a deep cut. We just "wing" it based on feel. I heat the blade - a thin piece of aluminium to very hot but not red hot, and this melts the 2 pieces together. It needs to melt both TPE ends to anneal. I can make a video of this.

Mishka

smallcat
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by smallcat »

Mishka1965 wrote:The hot knife works - but for most of us, there's no formula in this case to fix a deep cut. We just "wing" it based on feel. I heat the blade - a thin piece of aluminium to very hot but not red hot, and this melts the 2 pieces together. It needs to melt both TPE ends to anneal. I can make a video of this.

Mishka
Thank you, nothing deep, I noticed a tiny piece of the arm pit was barely starting to tear. Wasnt sure if I should catch this now, or would it tear through. And another in the crotch area, a tiny small wound, had her sitting for some time.

smallcat
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by smallcat »

Also is she worth the trouble to fix? or maybe easy with knife? She looks prety normal with legs closed. Shes been in the office seated for several months already, shes prety good for a knock off, holding up well, sitting. Assuming I would need to insert alum with her leg closed to glue together?

Or could I smooth out the tear instead? She is going to go back to sitting anyway.

Her tpe is much more firmer, never oiled her tho, doesnt seem to need it, still has same texture.

DoRainbow

Post by DoRainbow »

Hi Mishka, i saw your TPE repair video and your make up videos before i even discovered this forum, the make up videos i've already followed to make up my dolls so to find you on here is just awesome so may i just say a huge thank you for helping people out in your own time on here, you are a very talented man.

I do have a slightly damaged TPE doll that i would like some advise with which is just some markings that appeared while the doll was sitting on an electric blanket for hours that i forgot was switched on but i need five approved posts before i can post a pic so i'll have to get back to you on that one. :whistle: :D

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Prometheus 2112 wrote:
Mishka1965 wrote:I've even done a repair deep to the metal and 1" long with a hot metal blade and searing the TPE together.

Mishka

Deep repair job! That would be an interesting video!

Thanks again Mishka!

P
Piece of cake mostly
did a 3" deep cut, with a 60 watt iron and 4" blade. Used a make shift blade from copper wire 4 inches long, but since have made a much nicer blade from solid copper bar.
It works, and works well.
All dependent on the fussy factor. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVFxghJ-sKU

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

smallcat wrote:Also is she worth the trouble to fix? or maybe easy with knife? She looks prety normal with legs closed. Shes been in the office seated for several months already, shes prety good for a knock off, holding up well, sitting. Assuming I would need to insert alum with her leg closed to glue together?

Or could I smooth out the tear instead? She is going to go back to sitting anyway.

Her tpe is much more firmer, never oiled her tho, doesnt seem to need it, still has same texture.

Yep, can be fixed. Time consuming. But not impossible.
solder iron knife, and ball tools will help get her back into better shape.
here is a basic video of a ball tool in action, for surface repair. Hot air will give same results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj4yNLJ_Mrk&t=68s Just a little fun video. There are others on my channel, put 2 and 2 together, you'll figure it all out. :)

You'd need to have the legs closed as much as possible, so it'd not further damage groin. Same as the vagina.
It's all a craft, there are few quick fixes if you want repairs to last.

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

Yeah the above pics doll damage is way over my ability - I would assume I would give it a go given the chance, but I really do not expect much sucess.

Mishka

CinnamonLover
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by CinnamonLover »

Two questions for my mentors:

I am having good success with these methods and thank you MUCH!

I am about to attempt a deeper repair, and I have heard about the hot knife method.

1) I think I have a knife attachment for my soldering iron, this should still be set for 200c? Is it a motion where you insert the iron and draw it out quickly or slowly? If you are talking about an actual knife instead, is it heated to 200c as well? I got an IR thermometer as suggested and wow it's nice to have.

2) How long should the repair "cure"? Last time I attempted a crotch repair the results were visually stunning, but they did not last very long. I think I may have strained the area too soon.

Any tips are welcomed! thank you
CinnamonLover. Because I love cinnamon. And Cinnamon, and Nutmeg, and Cloves! Here is our Eye Candy Thread: CinnamonLover's Spice Girls

Fantastic Plastic
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Fantastic Plastic »

On a deep repair I use a point soldering iron.
With the incision facing upward and as level as possible I will melt and pool the TPE all the way down to the bottom working slowly, getting the entire area melted.
I’ll then switch to my ball iron to smooth off the surface, then finally with a heat/reflow gun.
leave the work area completely motionless as you work and as it cools before moving it, this will help with durability.
You sometimes will need a little extra material to fill in the final finishing part.
Also make sure the entire area is in a relaxed, as molded state before starting the repair.
Additionally, try not to overheat the TPE as it will scorch and sometimes that will reduce its quality.
Hope this helps.

FP

INFORMATIONS