Starpery.com

Regarding Finger repairs...

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Regarding Finger repairs...

Post by Tyr »

A shoutout to all of the members who have undertaken open hand surgery on their girls. How are your repairs holding up? Is there a consensus on the best type of replacement wire to use? Have any of you any feedback post repair, of materials that didn't work, or with experience, would not last? I am thinking of multi strand sheathed wire for Ami. 14 or 12 gauge. It'll be a little while yet but there's
nothing like being prepared.

Tyr
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Regarding Finger repairs...

Post by Dollyman25442 »

Tyr wrote:A shoutout to all of the members who have undertaken open hand surgery on their girls. How are your repairs holding up? Is there a consensus on the best type of replacement wire to use? Have any of you any feedback post repair, of materials that didn't work, or with experience, would not last? I am thinking of multi strand sheathed wire for Ami. 14 or 12 gauge. It'll be a little while yet but there's

Tyr
Screw wires altogether.
This mod will be available soon. Fully articulated too.
P1010305.JPG
P1010305.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 1574 times

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Tyr wrote:A shoutout to all of the members who have undertaken open hand surgery on their girls. How are your repairs holding up? Is there a consensus on the best type of replacement wire to use? Have any of you any feedback post repair, of materials that didn't work, or with experience, would not last? I am thinking of multi strand sheathed wire for Ami. 14 or 12 gauge. It'll be a little while yet but there's

Tyr
Go with something that will absorb blows.(if you want) You can create your own design. If one looks at doll joints. Knees, hips, elbows. the more crap to come loose or break on these dolls the more it's no fun to own. Joints in fingers will not be exempt from problems. Worth a shot I suppose
14 gauge is heavy. I tried it did not like it. It's about experimenting.
It's all about what you want as her master!! nice grip? look good? durable? all the above? yeah :)
I just did a simple fix. Her hand is holding up a couple months now. Twisted the digits like pretzels, no problems. Absorption is what I was shooting for, Bullseye!!
And yes, I've treated her hand like shit, just to see... She's double jointed now. funny how the nails stay on when stress testing. :)
Really do not care if she does not grip stuff easily. Did not want to be fixing 'em every month.

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

Stiff fingers are like a mixed bag good yet bad.. I like her having the ability to actually hold stuff in her hand and be able to get more natural looking pose without having them look like a Alien from X-Files.

Having removable digits from the palm plate makes the possibilities endless. Janie hasn't broken any wires since I did the surgery I did have to retighten some of the set screws but I was able to poke through the TPE and feel around for the set screw without cutting her open again.

My only criticism of the RC airplane jointed fingers that Dollyman is coming up with is lack of side to side motion in the metacarpos. You really need that if you want realistic dexterity. Otherwise it's kind of a waste in my honest opinion. It is a great idea. But it just needs to be perfected in a couple areas to be a really perfect fix.

Using solid romex her hands are far more durable then the crap she came with. Janie's hands are no longer a floppy mess. Kat needs her hands repaired next. CrazyCajun really gave me a lot of good advise. No two of these dolls are really "The Same" they all are similar but with some variations in manufacturing. Some help and some can make you curse like all hell.
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18
Sarah-Jo ~ MLD 168DD #39 ~ 6-18-19
Jennifer ~ MLD 165F #2 ~ 11-27-19
Brittany ~ WM155 #46 ~ 3-13-20
Heather ~ WM163C #38 ~ 8-14-20
Melina ~ PIB GND Bitsy Fairy ~ 1-1-21
Aliel~ RD BT2 Winter ~ 2-13-21
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21
Virginia~ RD Body C ~ 8-27-21
Caitlyn~ 4woods AI NEO ~ 8-27-21
Jessie~ MLD 163FF #100 ~ 10-8-21

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

winterwarBo wrote:Stiff fingers are like a mixed bag good yet bad.. I like her having the ability to actually hold stuff in her hand and be able to get more natural looking pose without having them look like a Alien from X-Files.

Having removable digits from the palm plate makes the possibilities endless. Janie hasn't broken any wires since I did the surgery I did have to retighten some of the set screws but I was able to poke through the TPE and feel around for the set screw without cutting her open again.

My only criticism of the RC airplane jointed fingers that Dollyman is coming up with is lack of side to side motion in the metacarpos. You really need that if you want realistic dexterity. Otherwise it's kind of a waste in my honest opinion. It is a great idea. But it just needs to be perfected in a couple areas to be a really perfect fix.

Using solid romex her hands are far more durable then the crap she came with. Janie's hands are no longer a floppy mess. Kat needs her hands repaired next. CrazyCajun really gave me a lot of good advise. No two of these dolls are really "The Same" they all are similar but with some variations in manufacturing. Some help and some can make you curse like all hell.
You got me thinking again... don't do that!!! LOL kidding... This shit may help too. Or something like it. Of course not sure how durable it is.
If it's spring steel this stuff will not break easily, but posing would be a pain :) Hard to bend.
Flat-wire.jpg

WhataTimeToBeAlive

Post by WhataTimeToBeAlive »

Dollyman25442 wrote:This mod will be available soon.
Those look amazing! 8O Available where? :D

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

She wanted to watch tv again so who am I to argue. She could never support the weight of this remote control with her old hands.
IMG_2169.jpg
IMG_2169.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 1504 times
IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1504 times
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

winterwarBo wrote:She wanted to watch tv again so who am I to argue. She could never support the weight of this remote control with her old hands.
IMG_2169.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg
When you first completed the job, I remember her with the handgun. :)
Proof again, want a job done good, do it yourself!!

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

She keeps one under her pillow. I think it’s to keep Kat and Quinn away..
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21

grimreefer24601

Post by grimreefer24601 »

CrazyCajun, and I were working with 18 gauge wire doubled and twisted. That's the best solution so far I've seen. But you can't get plates from James anymore.

Dollyman's fingers look like they have potential once he's perfected them.

They still need hand plates to work. I have not seen anyone making hand plates yet. You can make them yourself of course. CC made MaryJane and Becka's plates.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

winterwarBo wrote:She keeps one under her pillow. I think it’s to keep Kat and Quinn away..
Careful you do not have her shoot you. Imagine that story on the news. "Man Repairs doll fingers, only to get shot by trigger happy doll" LOL

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

I've been toying with the idea of a 3d printed skeletal hand, based around m3 screws and nuts. I have a prototype joint in mind but haven't got around to printing it yet. Just been busy with life stuff and besides, it's stopped raining here at last so the bikes are getting a bit of love too!
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Tyr wrote:I've been toying with the idea of a 3d printed skeletal hand, based around m3 screws and nuts. I have a prototype joint in mind but haven't got around to printing it yet. Just been busy with life stuff and besides, it's stopped raining here at last so the bikes are getting a bit of love too!
Hey if you can make a go of it, and have the hardware to try. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Myself am drawing up ideas for ball bearing wrist and ball bearing fingers. Parts needed on the way. Hand made hands.
No screws, nuts in this finger idea, if I can help it. I'm not keen on plastic fingers, but anything too strong, and may as well just use wires.

INFORMATIONS