Starpery.com

TPE scuffing, or sloughing

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
keeneye

Re: TPE scuffing, or sloughing

Post by keeneye »

ps what do u do for eyebrows ... they faded away so much i used permanent marker to make them more visible before they faded completly away. practiced on the top of her head first.

DollAfficionado

Post by DollAfficionado »

I've tried drawing eyebrows. The color eventually fades as it disperses through the porous TPE material.

Ive tried to glue eyebrows to my TPE dolls. The glue just doesn't work well with the material and they fall off soon after.

Temporary tattoos work ok until they are exposed to rubbing or moisture, then it's over for them.

The only thing that I haven't tried is actually implanting hairs as eyebrows. This is a bit risky and I can't see trying it unless I have a worn out, disposable head with which to work.
DollAfficionado (D.A.) 8)
Review of my SUKI doll from Sili Doll viewtopic.php?f=253&t=73439

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by DarkOne »

I think maybe the damage you are referring to is caused by leaving the skin stretched OP. Take your sample and force it to be highly stretched and leave it there for several hours.
Every day people remind me why I like dolls better.

Barbarous
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Barbarous »

I noticed similar holes on my Teri's lower calf. At first they were dark spots and then holes, finally I noticed the end of two strings poking out if I applied pressure to the area. Since it is in the same spot on both legs I assume it is a method of attaching something to the skeleton. I trimmed the string and glued the hole shut or I would have posted some pictures, sorry.

digitaldavid

Post by digitaldavid »

DollAfficionado wrote:I've tried drawing eyebrows. The color eventually fades as it disperses through the porous TPE material.

Ive tried to glue eyebrows to my TPE dolls. The glue just doesn't work well with the material and they fall off soon after.

Temporary tattoos work ok until they are exposed to rubbing or moisture, then it's over for them.

The only thing that I haven't tried is actually implanting hairs as eyebrows. This is a bit risky and I can't see trying it unless I have a worn out, disposable head with which to work.

2 Methods that worked for me.. 1) Buy fake eyebrows, trim it to size and glue them on.. 2) Buy acrylic paint (brown, light brown, dark blond) that matches the hair color.. Buy an eyebrow stencil set for less than $5 on Ebay.. And then paint them in. It last a pretty long time.. And when it wears out, all you have to do is use the stencil and paint again. Good as new and looks very professionally done

CrazyCajun
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by CrazyCajun »

I too have found that duplicating damage on a small piece of test TPE can sometimes be difficult, I believe it to be because the small piece of test TPE does not have the same forces due to less weight on it. I have noticed that most of the time this condition is caused be having sex with the doll on top, thus the knee's take a lot of abrasive forces over time and by doggie style with the elbows taking the abrasion caused by the rocking and sliding on the elbows.

Sometimes the hardest part is duplicating what actually happens in the real world in a controlled method.

Good luck and keep us informed!
CrazyCajun and the Girls

Making the world a doll friendlier place!
April's Gallery's: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=14640

DollAfficionado

Good idea on the eyebrows.

ponyrider0
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ponyrider0 »

Thndrrbolt wrote: So, the question: How the heck are you guys getting this damage?
If I can't duplicate it, I can't fix it.
If you can describe how I can produce the rough looking surface, I'd appreciate it.
T'Bolt
I think CrazyCajun is correct about the stress/tension forces from the weight of a full TPE doll body being the key to reproducing the abrasions.
T'Bolt, the method you described will cause shearing forces on the surface of the TPE block, but that won't reproduce the volumetric stretch and compression forces that are continually occurring at a doll's elbows and knees.

Here's an idea: try to stretch the TPE block by gripping it at opposite ends with two vices. Then keep it in that position for several days or weeks. My guess is that the TPE block will gradually dry out where the stress forces are greatest as the internal TPE oils/resins are squeezed into areas with less tension. The dried, desiccated areas will then begin to crack and tear along lines of greatest tension, hopefully reproducing the effects seen on knees/elbows. And if it does, then we can start looking into these questions: (1) How do we repair it? and (2) How do we prevent it?

DollAfficionado

The scuffing/sloughing of the TPE material on my Teri doll has been continuing. It appears that this is just a natural occurrence with the material that occurs with age and use. A tear can at least be fixed, but this scuffing/sloughing does not seem easily repairable, at least not without causing more harm than good.

Omzig123
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Omzig123 »

I also notice a bit of scuffing on my Kayla doll. Mostly on her knees. I always have a soft blanket under her to kneel on but yet these scuff appear. I also see what I think are mold marks that run down her sides and arms. Kind of look like a vein under the surface. But I would have to think it's where the mold seams were. They aren't terrible, just noticeable.

I was hoping there was a method to repair the scuffs. Which seem to start as surface scrapes or rubs that scuff the skin. Hard to describe.

DollAfficionado

I have used TPE glue to repair clean tears with good results, but it just won't work well on scuffing/sloughing damage. This appears to just be one of the innate disadvantages of TPE which contributes to its lower durability relative to silicone.

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Thermal plastic melts from heat. Causing friction produces heat, heat melts tpe. Go figure, weight+friction can definitely produce the slaughing you might see on a doll.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

DollAfficionado wrote:I've tried drawing eyebrows. The color eventually fades as it disperses through the porous TPE material.

For a "model" doll.
I've been playing with this: lol
I'd started with a TPE backing for the brow, but have switched over to a rubber cement.
All dependent how creative one is with it.
crazy fun idea anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=defRZSUa3Ng

Still experimenting with it all, there are 2 videos, the other is "Eyebrow hacking"
Hey folks, just having some fun with my doll :)

No harm in that

INFORMATIONS