Starpery.com

Finally Ami gets her Heavy Maintenance! ...

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Finally Ami gets her Heavy Maintenance! ...

Post by Tyr »

A quick update:
Ami has been 'resting' for a couple of weeks. I thought that we would test the repairs out too. After all, they might as well break now rather than later. So after a couple of test runs she is back in theater today for examination. Well although the initial impressions are good, especially the grafts, there are some failures where the repairs have failed to bond. I think the issue lies with accessibility. It's very hard to access inside and get a real idea of how well you have covered the proposed repair area prior to adding the repair paste/ filler. Today I have repaired a major fissure where her worst damage has been. I used the syringe to apply the white oil and rubbed it in by hand. I did likewise with the preparer too, along with mixing up a more runny paste which I applied through the flexible tube. The needles refuse to work with the consistencies that I have been using.
So I think we are in for a week or so of rework and checking. I have also been practicing with Indigo's modelling kit and soldering iron, callibrating the heat settings and so on. Updates to follow.
Tyr.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Tyr wrote:A quick update:
Ami has been 'resting' for a couple of weeks. I thought that we would test the repairs out too. After all, they might as well break now rather than later. So after a couple of test runs she is back in theater today for examination. Well although the initial impressions are good, especially the grafts, there are some failures where the repairs have failed to bond. I think the issue lies with accessibility. It's very hard to access inside and get a real idea of how well you have covered the proposed repair area prior to adding the repair paste/ filler. Today I have repaired a major fissure where her worst damage has been. I used the syringe to apply the white oil and rubbed it in by hand. I did likewise with the preparer too, along with mixing up a more runny paste which I applied through the flexible tube. The needles refuse to work with the consistencies that I have been using.
So I think we are in for a week or so of rework and checking. I have also been practicing with Indigo's modelling kit and soldering iron, callibrating the heat settings and so on. Updates to follow.
Tyr.
I know it may seem crazy but I've been doing a little (or a lot) of experimenting.
A member her (Rainking) has taken on a VERY challenging doll project. And been brainstorming ways to repair.
It is an extreme makeover :)

This is the doll he is going trying to fix. It'd cost him a fortune is a TPE solvent glue.

https://youtu.be/oCNARtExfHk

So we've been trying to come up with unprecendeted ways to fix this doll, get her back in one piece..
Heres a video of me muddling thru some testing of making these sorts of repairs.
Highly Experimenatl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJJoXWi ... e=youtu.be
Have made a few videos.. it's nasty, but is slowly getting worked out LOL

One of the videos I demonstrate a stretch test. It holds quite well considering damage.

Just having some fun
:glou:

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Interesting videos. It's always difficult, it seems, to get a good deep weld. Although that long blade looks promising. How's the joint holding up?
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Tyr wrote:Interesting videos. It's always difficult, it seems, to get a good deep weld. Although that long blade looks promising. How's the joint holding up?
I've made a better blade. getting the right heat at the very end of tip is the trick. The molten on the top oozing out the top is to be expected, being so hot, at least it's not scorching it.
If were not for all the dirt, joints would be clean looking. Gotta clean up my work area in garage, I wont do this sort of thing in the house.

The toy was bought on Amazon before I bought a doll. Did not like that oily thing. So it's a test subject.

I made a cut from top of toy across navel. It's about 1-3/4" deep Used a better heat transfer blade. and it is holding quite well. Stretched it a foot, and it has not come apart. I've done several depth seams, and they hold, it's getting it so there are no gaps in them.
Not perfect but is progress. Cuts like these would be excessive. but having options helps.
This is one of the first cuts, tried to melt back together:
Monsterhole.jpg
Pull-Harder.jpg
When i saw the pic of you adding a chunk of TPE into the groin to your doll, the idea hit me.
As well as the new challenge of Rainkings doll he bought from Samara.
That will take some time :) and creative thinking. From the front that doll looks like a nice looking doll LOL

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Time for an update as the work slowly progresses...
Had to take a bit of time off, but here we go.
I find that you need to allow about a week in between the repair work for any flaws to show through. They usually manifest as small delaminations or peeling around the repair.
IMAG2848.jpg
IMAG2848.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1248 times
A you can see here, she is a bit furry/bobbly.
I left her for about two weeks this time and found a couple of places where the repair needed a little bit more work. Sorry forgot to photograph them, they were in the groin/leg repair. On Monday I fixed those.
Today I finally got to try the Repair/modelling attachments from Indigo20. I was really pleased with how they worked although I only used the ball fitting and the short rod today. After a couple of calibration runs on my test sample, I set the soldering iron at 200°C on the indicator, (I tried 160°C but I could actually hold the end of the iron, I guess there are some differences between machines? I actually ended up at 220°C on the ball fitting.) There is virtually no smoke and the TPE needs a couple of passes to start to flow but as it gets warmer it moves easier. I have allowed several cool down periods today and the results here are of four cumulative sessions. Ami is really sticky now so I have decided to stop here and let her rest for a few days before continuing, but already she looks much better I'm hoping to get all of the repairs looking a lot smoother yet.
So here's where we have ended up.
P2270269.JPG
P2270269.JPG (877.32 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
P2270270.JPG
P2270270.JPG (840.44 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

Not perfect, but miles better than where we were a month ago.

A Big thank you to Indigo20 for sending me the repair/modelling attachments, they are very much appreciated.
P2240266.JPG
P2240266.JPG (794.66 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Sunday was a TV day, She hasn't done that for a while.

Tyr

INFORMATIONS