Starpery.com

Printing a Mold with a 3D-Printer

Got an idea? Need an invention?
yungfit

Re: Printing a Mold with a 3D-Printer

Post by yungfit »

COOL!

Funny i stumbled upon here too. I already kinda thought that you can have your 3d model inverted to a real life size doll somehow, but i guess we're not there yet :) So if i understand correctly, in the near future you could print a high detail, smaller size "demo" model, but the sculptor would still need to actually sculpt the final real size thing following those lines. That would ask for a master sculpter tho.

I hope that the printing tech really advances fast, so that in the future you can just send your own design (or a design made by a 3d sculptor, there's loads of great ones at deviant art) to a factory, and they could actually "print" the TPE or silicone over the skeleton in high detail.

Oh, the future.... :D

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

Ok, so there are some 3D industrial printers available that can do full scale, but at this stage it would be more expensive than paying the sculptor, as the consumable materials for the printers has a short service life and is expensive.

With the one I have at work, you could do the 3D print in no larger than 24 inch sections, that can be keylocked together to form the full size model, but again, still not that economical.

One of the finest 3D printing aspects I have lately seen for this type of application was for Motoko Kusinagi's cyborg body (an d the geisha cyborg) in GITS

I have also done a good print of Harlock's Arcadia form the latest movie (I loved that design)
il_570xN.1239019094_d6tz.jpg
il_570xN.1239019094_d6tz.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
il_570xN.1257472193_cx51.jpg
il_570xN.1257472193_cx51.jpg (28.28 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
il_570xN.1286253909_o97m.jpg
il_570xN.1286253909_o97m.jpg (61.11 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
But the model was going to be a grand...and the OBJ file was free and manipilulatable for improvement.

Unfortunately, I can not justify getting the lads to use commonwealth funded consumables to 3D print my Marquettes, and that would get me in the "Unacceptable behaviour" poo poo. Space Pirate battleships are OK though, when using up the left over materials, that is about to expire :lol:

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Lilith Un Rama - RD She Devil Custom Bod 10 (DOLLMILF and TDF Doll Queen)
Natasha-RD Classic - Bod 6
Lexi-BT 3 (C) Star Bod 3 Gel butt & boob implants
Lorelei-SANHUI 165R cup my custom elf head 007
Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Ayla-WM dolls - 155cm DD cup model
Jessica Jade-PD - 163cm, Penelope fitness version .
Mazzy M-JY/AS Doll 166cm fitness model
Pearl-JY150cm Fantasy Fitness my design
BaBs-PD 158cm Mega Boobs doll
Jessie-TB Deluxe-Jessica Model
Danny-YL Dolls-128cm Kylie model
Gypsy Kate-WM 140cm D cup head #36
Dommy-SANHUI 65cm Mini silicone doll
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

SFembot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by SFembot »

This subject is discussed in a recent episode of "Tested" where they talk about 3D printing molds. I intend to use this for my various robotic projects.

SFembot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by SFembot »

Captain Harlock rocks!

yungfit

Post by yungfit »

Anung Un Rama wrote:
One of the finest 3D printing aspects I have lately seen for this type of application was for Motoko Kusinagi's cyborg body (an d the geisha cyborg) in GITS

Wow, that's some fine 3d printing. I'd actually love a doll that would look like that 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) or a female Warframe...

WhataTimeToBeAlive

Post by WhataTimeToBeAlive »

Deepened in a Daz3d scene i thought about the subject of 3d printed love dolls and figured someone on TDF was a step ahead of me. So happy to see this post in search results!

Very interesting stuff, even for something as "simple" as an insert. I would go nuts, making my own with different shapes lol!

Also, i have a Josie i'd like to "export to physical"! ;)

yungfit

Post by yungfit »

WhataTimeToBeAlive wrote:Deepened in a Daz3d scene i thought about the subject of 3d printed love dolls and figured someone on TDF was a step ahead of me. So happy to see this post in search results!

Very interesting stuff, even for something as "simple" as an insert. I would go nuts, making my own with different shapes lol!

Also, i have a Josie i'd like to "export to physical"! ;)

Say no more! Imagine designing your own doll with the 3d tools and software down to every detail you feel like, and then just email the file, paypal and then wait for a couple of weeks :D :D :D :D

Vendors could also have an easy entry option for ppl who don't have the gear or skills for generating 3d; they could have a lightweight designer tool on their order page, where you could change the shape and size of bodyparts separately, under certain lines of course to streamline it.

neutrino
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by neutrino »

I think it is better to make a mold from the 3D-printed face itself. I think this will create a better silicone cast than using a 3D-printed mold because it is hard to sand a negative perfectly, but sanding a positive perfectly should not be too hard.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

The problem I find with all this is the level of detail. Especially for a face. If a smooth mannequin face will do then no problem. If you want high detail that silicone can provide down to skin texture, even a finger print, you will need to sculpt a positive model head and make a silicone mold of that.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

neutrino
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by neutrino »

rubherkitty wrote:The problem I find with all this is the level of detail. Especially for a face. If a smooth mannequin face will do then no problem. If you want high detail that silicone can provide down to skin texture, even a finger print, you will need to sculpt a positive model head and make a silicone mold of that.
Ok, then apply Smooth On Body Double on the (sanded) 3d-printed face. Then pour melted Monster Clay into that mold. Then refine the clay face with whatever skin texture and natural imperfections, and then make a solid UltraCal mold from that clay sculpture. The point is, I think the OP's idea of 3D-printing the mold directly isn't going to cut it. 3D-print the positive and work from that.

By the way, detailed skin texture and imperfections can be added amazingly to the 3D model (e.g. using ZBrush), but much it will probably be lost after sanding the 3D-print.
Attachments
257e3b3b193c6d150c8b5d76de827404.jpg
257e3b3b193c6d150c8b5d76de827404.jpg (194.47 KiB) Viewed 2603 times

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Yes, I think 3D printing a positive and working from that is fine.
My doll making plan involved using a fiberglass mannequin or 3D printed doll. Either body would probably need some type of coating applied that could be worked for doing any fine lines or wrinkles. Depends on how detailed I end up going. Skin texturing can be applied to the mold. I believe they use a spray mold release then dust it w/ powder or something.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

neutrino
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by neutrino »

rubherkitty wrote:Skin texturing can be applied to the mold. I believe they use a spray mold release then dust it w/ powder or something.
I never heard of that before. Even if it can be done, how can you predict what the positive will look like when you do the artwork on the negative? Like you said, the best way to add skin texture with is with clay and then make the mold from that.
Attachments
Starting-Texture1.jpg
Starting-Texture1.jpg (130.37 KiB) Viewed 2596 times

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Powdering for texture.
This would be lightly dusting a fiberglass mold for casting a silicone doll.
Too smooth of surface on a silicone doll resulting in a waxy/ plastic looking appearance has been a complaint on some dolls.
I believe Private Island Beauty does some type of mold dusting process.
Realdoll dolls have a orange peel texture. I am not certain how they do that. If it's a coating on the mold or actually molded that way via the original doll model.
Any process or application has to be super fine as you don't want the resulting doll to look like 107 yr old wrinkles and pores.
Unless you're into that.

Dollmoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dollmoon »

Wichtel wrote:Here is a picture out of the CAD program

You could see the upper and lower part of the mould.

I think it is possible to make every face printable, that is offered or made digitaly. You are able to create a face in the face studio of poser. But never the less the texture is mostly the biggest part, that makes you think that that is the poerson you made the photos of before.

But if I manage to make good masks for a "ground-head", i think that would be nice

Great Work! I was thinking of making a doll as well. One problem, how do you determine the amount of silicone is needed to fill the negative empty space between the 3d printed mould and an internal skeleton? I assume you use Smooth-On's Dragon skin.

philpw99

Post by philpw99 »

Thanks everyone! This thread is very informative!

One question: after a positive head is printed, can we use laser engravers to generate those detail skin texture and wrinkles? I am a total newbie at this, but I am very interested in custom doll making.
The one and only: Debbie from Doll4E
Maker of Doll33: a doll talking app. Come to your local app store soon. :)
The Doll33 App with F-Mode Version 1.2, exclusively for TDF members.
AlexaTilbrook's Mirror link for my app. Version 1.2
For more info, go to doll33.com.

INFORMATIONS