Starpery.com

Printing a Mold with a 3D-Printer

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Rtechguy

Re: Printing a Mold with a 3D-Printer

Post by Rtechguy »

It should not be impossible to MAKE a full scale 3D printer. All you would need to do is buy a 3D print head. Build a full scale track. Write the code to allow the 3D printer to travel the track. You could control it all with a raspberry pi. I would print in wax. Once you have the full wax print, you can make a plastic or whatever mold from that positive and then melt the wax out for re-use.
Alisandra - SM-163G
Fallon - JY-166 muscle doll
Arrived (YL 170 thread) - YL-170
TBD - YL-170 (2nd attempt)

Devoted customer of Booty Call Dolls

neutrino
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by neutrino »

philpw99 wrote:Thanks everyone! This thread is very informative!

One question: after a positive head is printed, can we use laser engravers to generate those detail skin texture and wrinkles? I am a total newbie at this, but I am very interested in custom doll making.
In theory it might be possible, but I would not recommend it. First of all, those laser engravements would only be of benefit if you first sand off all the print lines from the positive print. If just a little bit of print lines are still visible, then they will be visible in the mold too. Sanding perfectly takes a lot of time and many different grades of sandpaper will be needed. Also, once you make a mistake with the laser engravement, there is basically no turning back.

Much easier is to do a casual sand to remove most of the print lines. Then make a mold of it and pour in Monster Clay. The clay positive will show some print lines but removing them is super easy. Then add the fine details with precision sculpting tools. If you make a mistake, you can fix it easily. Then make the final mold, which will show no print lines and all the fine details that you added. Don't feel so bad that the perfect clay sculpt is destroyed after making the final mold. Once you have the this final mold, you are set. You can always make an identical clay positive again using that mold if you feel sad about losing the original. But most importantly, you can make that perfect silicone cast.

Here's a nice video of making the clay positive from the first (imperfect, but geometrically accurate) mold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Hqzlrx2Zk

neutrino
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by neutrino »

Printing the eyeballs is very, very helpful too.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks neutrino.
I agree w/ you. Even though I do a lot of work w/ Bondo (polyester) body filler, I think they only way to get lifelike detail is clay. Trying to cut or scratch wrinkles into anything hard will probably have the cracked porcelain doll look. Depends on how much patience a person has to cut and sand, blend, etc.

I will probably buy a mannequin head I like then make a mold of that then cast a sculpt head out of monster clay.
I may also have to get the mannequin head scanned and have it 3D printed in a reduced size then go from there as I want to make dolls in the 145cm range. Another consideration is to have a expert in 3D design and printing do the head from scratch via a pic.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

neutrino
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by neutrino »

rubherkitty wrote: I will probably buy a mannequin head I like then make a mold of that then cast a sculpt head out of monster clay.
I may also have to get the mannequin head scanned and have it 3D printed in a reduced size then go from there as I want to make dolls in the 145cm range. Another consideration is to have a expert in 3D design and printing do the head from scratch via a pic.
Good point about rescaling. That is another reason why it is a good idea to have a 3D-image of the head and then make the clay positive from that, over sculpting a clay positive from scratch. You can resize a 3D-image as much as you want (and 3D-print it as many times as you want until the size is spot on). But if you sculpt a head from scratch, no matter how beautifully, and realize that the size is wrong, you have to start all over (and then probably still not get the size right).

By the way, if you have the sculpting skills to make a new face from a mannequin prototype, then you certainly have the skills to sculpt your desired face using software. You just have to learn the steps in the software, which would only take a couple of days or so, and then the rest is the sculpting just as with clay.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Yeah, I downloaded Blender and something else last fall, but am still a little overwhelmed trying to figure it all out. I watched a lot of youtube tutorials too. Maybe this winter I can try again.

Re-scaling head. One of the criteria's that TDF looks at when considering legal dolls is head to body proportion.
They prefer a smaller doll to have a proper scaled adult head to match. A person could probably fudge a 85% body and 90% head. Kind of depends what you have to start with.

Some of my doll art work.
Attachments
nikki glam 072.JPG
nikki glam 072.JPG (94.53 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

philpw99

Post by philpw99 »

neutrino wrote:
philpw99 wrote:Thanks everyone! This thread is very informative!

One question: after a positive head is printed, can we use laser engravers to generate those detail skin texture and wrinkles? I am a total newbie at this, but I am very interested in custom doll making.
In theory it might be possible, but I would not recommend it. First of all, those laser engravements would only be of benefit if you first sand off all the print lines from the positive print. If just a little bit of print lines are still visible, then they will be visible in the mold too. Sanding perfectly takes a lot of time and many different grades of sandpaper will be needed. Also, once you make a mistake with the laser engravement, there is basically no turning back.

Much easier is to do a casual sand to remove most of the print lines. Then make a mold of it and pour in Monster Clay. The clay positive will show some print lines but removing them is super easy. Then add the fine details with precision sculpting tools. If you make a mistake, you can fix it easily. Then make the final mold, which will show no print lines and all the fine details that you added. Don't feel so bad that the perfect clay sculpt is destroyed after making the final mold. Once you have the this final mold, you are set. You can always make an identical clay positive again using that mold if you feel sad about losing the original. But most importantly, you can make that perfect silicone cast.

Here's a nice video of making the clay positive from the first (imperfect, but geometrically accurate) mold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Hqzlrx2Zk
Thanks for the detail answer!! Very helpful!
The one and only: Debbie from Doll4E
Maker of Doll33: a doll talking app. Come to your local app store soon. :)
The Doll33 App with F-Mode Version 1.2, exclusively for TDF members.
AlexaTilbrook's Mirror link for my app. Version 1.2
For more info, go to doll33.com.

neutrino
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by neutrino »

rubherkitty wrote:Some of my doll art work.
Very pretty face. The eyes are asymmetric, but perhaps that was your intention. That's one damn tiny nose you have there, by the way.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Yes, the eyes are off, but not by me. That is a mannequin head that I fixed up for a plastic BJ Doll. I noticed how off the eyes were when I was painting the eyebrows. I've done some Bondo body and head mods on cars and dolls, but have never actually sculpted a full head yet. I made all the jewelry (except for the beaded necklace) and bra.

I'm looking at doing a partial open mouth that shows a little bit of upper teeth w/a hinged jaw skull.

Here was the base mannequin head from the sales ad and you don't notice the eyes are off! LOL
I do notice it slightly now in their pic.
Attachments
Nikki original.jpg
Nikki original.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

INFORMATIONS