Starpery.com

Ideas for making home made custom eyeballs.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Ideas for making home made cusom eyeballs.

Post by Zippy81 »

More Pics of the current irises i have glued to cabochons.

NOTE: These were not glued to washers yet.

NOTE: Make sure to fully align the Iris printouts with the back of the cabochons when you glue them on. Failing to do so will result in some of the eyes failing to look natural. (See pics.) Also. Make sure that you don't use TOO MUCH superglue when gluing them on. Because when you go to trim the overhang off the sides of the cabochons it will crumble like brittle glass taking some of the printout with it.. (See Jolie eyes picture (dolls right eye.top right portion.)

No Irises:
No Irises.jpg
Lima Eyes:
Lima Eyes.jpg
Perry Eyes:
Perry Eyes.jpg
Lou Lou Eyes:
Lou Lou Eyes.jpg
Aniston Eyes:
Aniston Eyes.jpg
Clarke Eyes:
Clarke Eyes.jpg
Richards Eyes:
Richards Eyes.jpg
Jolie Eyes:
Jolie Eyes.jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Quick Update about my jagged insert ledge issue and some tips for those of you braving the DIY route!

Have found that Modpodge matte takes allot more time to put on layer by layer but its a fair trade off as it allows for greater control and a better end result .Mod podge sands nice with fine grain sandpaper and is easily buffed with some of those felt pads found at the dollar general in the hardware isle.The easy cast epoxy is shiny but ends up being hard to tweak once its hardened up and is hard to buff out if you use sandpaper/ a dremel on it... It also takes allot longer to be useable. (cure time).
Progress 1.jpg

Don't just throw any old washers and magnets into the bottom of your mold as sometimes the manufactured products you buy aren't consistant in their quality. If you buy multiquantity packs sift threw them to get the best ones! Pay attention to details! Dont rely on the magnetism alone to hold the pieces together.Make sure to glue the washers to each other;then glue those to the magnet and then finally glue the screw on to the opposite side of the magnet. (Otherwise silicone will creep into the micro space that is between them and will result in ALLOT of cleanup work that can potentially upset the insert quality of your finished piece.

NOTE: Correction on image.. the wooden ball size is 1 1/4" not 1/14".. lol
Progress 1b.jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

My crummy camera seems to be representing the new sclera color better. :) yes.. the make up still sucks.. but...im still experimenting!
New Eyes and Punched brows .jpg

avante
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by avante »

Hey Zippy,

You've been busy man! The edges do look way better already. Also the puncturing looks pretty decent! It's not for me tho and it do not particularly like the blonde, but I applaud your craftsmanship and creativity!

Honestly I cannot believe not a single person has replied to your pics of your eyes which you'd already shown the photoshop pics of earlier and now have also managed to produce even. I mean for a doll the eyes are a big part of the realism and look. I've got some very nice detailed eyes but also quite some standard not really 'special' eyes. And I would really assume (before seeing it demonstrated otherwise here) that a lot more doll owners would be very interested in this...

Just wanted to say that I for one really enjoy reading all this (and chats we've had) and your thorough presentation and also sharing your trials and errors. You are making huge steps! I particularly like Katty Perry's, Angelina Jolie, Nicole Aniston and Emilia's Clak eyes!
New in: IT 164+ the curves are real: viewtopic.php?p=2475683#p2475683
My doll experience : WM 158D tales & pics: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=85063&start=465

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Thanks Avante :) Well its not really something new worth going "oh look at this!" over haha..

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

If people have Iris requests they can feel free to post them i'll do my best to make them. And if you have a specific size you need as well.

avante
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by avante »

Zippy81 wrote:If people have Iris requests they can feel free to post them i'll do my best to make them. And if you have a specific size you need as well.
Ey man, well first eyes that spring to mind are those of Aletta Ocean and Alison Tyler; they're really pretty to me. Size wise well I think 14mm is good size for iris, if you mean the outer diameter prob 30mm will be best for me personally, but in WM heads I think 28-32mm will fit nicely.

I'll pay more attention to the eyes in the future :p
My doll experience : WM 158D tales & pics: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=85063&start=465

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Yea I was referring to the irises :p i'll see what I can find for references on those!

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Aletta Ocean Template:
AO Alt Ref 1.jpg
With Small Pupils:
14mm Aletta Ocean Eyes .jpg
With Medium Pupils:
14mm Aletta Ocean Eyes medium pupil size.jpg
With Large Pupils:
14mm Aletta Ocean Eyes large pupil size.jpg

With Huge Pupils:
14mm Aletta Ocean Eyes Huge pupil size.jpg

avante
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by avante »

Damn really nice man! They are very much alike! I really love these spickles and the green scheme coloring. Only thing I'd like a bit better is a bit larger pupil, but again really nice man. Also one thing that stands out: all other eyes I've seen are just 2x the same identical model; yours are not and that's also a big plus!

avante
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by avante »

Checked them really fast; but very nice, I like medium the best I think. Big is funny as it seems she is on drugs ;)

Also mostly like how the other stuff around her eyes 'is not overwritten' but relocated (moved) with the bigger pupil size. Does that happen sort of automatically, or do you have to manually replace everything?

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

I agree on the medium. Haha yes I laughed at the huge size. It's not necessarily automatic but not exactly manual either. The pupil group has a few different sizes I pre made in that master template. So I just activated each pupil size layer andvrepositioned it a bit to match her pupils alignment. :p

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

AT Alt ref 1.jpg
14 mm Alison Tyler Eye Template:
14mm Alison Tyler Eyes.jpg

avante
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by avante »

Really nice looking too man! Like them both, the the Aletta one has something more catchy to me. Think it has to do with those big sparks which really set eyes apart. Thanks for doing these!

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Welcome :)

INFORMATIONS