Starpery.com

Intelligence vs Sentience; AI & Lovebots

Got an idea? Need an invention?
LDF
Ex-Member

Re: Intelligence vs Sentience; AI & Lovebots

Post by LDF »

This guy thinks that the world famous Sophia is a fake!

So, if you're basing your beliefs about the state of the art of AI/Lovebots on Sophia, you may be laboring under some false beliefs.
Why didn't I take the blue pill?

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

I'm pretty sure this guy is full of shit, but he could be right. Sophia's answers aren't good enough I think they are faking it. Asked the right questions, my chatbots can seem pretty impressive. If they were my career, they could be VERY impressive (especially with proper video editing), but still chatbots.

LDF
Ex-Member

Post by LDF »

https://www.reallusion.com/

This might be a good place to start trying things out for oneself.

I find the following product to be of interest:

https://www.reallusion.com/store/product.html?l=1&p=ct

Here's one of the product package descriptions:

"Create your 2D & 3D talking heads, and optimize them with plentiful pre-made motions, voice scripts, bodies, accessories...etc."

So, one could test things out ahead of time.

LDF
Ex-Member

Post by LDF »

So, how might I go about animating 3D model?

I could start with this from Daz Studio:
Adriana1.jpg
Adriana1.jpg (247.66 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
Then I could use a product like the one found here:

Or here:

...to test things out.

I am advocating for dealing with any issues in VR first before starting to build actual talking heads and androids.

ZZZZ
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ZZZZ »

LDF wrote:As for myself, I'm on the verge of signing up for courses in AI, etc.
Cool! :thumbs_up:

Are you already a programmer, or are you just getting started? For anyone just getting started, my #1 suggestion is learn database design first - normal form, primary keys, and key-value tables. It may seem alien or overly-rigorous at first, but once you wrap your brain around it your life will be so much easier. When I see code written by people who don't know how to design/utilize a database, it makes me wince. (>_<)

LDF
Ex-Member

Post by LDF »

It's been a very long time since I've done any programming of any kind.

However, I think I'm up to learning some basic programming in Python 4 from an online course.

I'm exploring what's currently out there at this time.

First, I started using 3D modeilng software (Daz Studio) where I really just used/purchased existing assets.

Currently, I'm taking a webinar on importing Daz models into iClone to do some animations.

So, I'm getting a feel for what can currently be done in terms of animation and AI with existing products.

My other main interest is sorting out what are the requirements for 3D printing a pneumatic/vacuum actuated soft robotics android.

IMHO, it's going to be a difficult task to even model such a 'creature' let alone print one out. Current 'slicers' can't do the job.

Even the print head needs to be redesigned and machined.

But, I'm rambling.

I'll follow my own advice and see if I can get a virtual avatar 'doll' to function properly first.

That's a big enough task for anyone.

ZZZZ
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ZZZZ »

LDF wrote:It's been a very long time since I've done any programming of any kind.

However, I think I'm up to learning some basic programming in Python...
Python is a great language for anyone, and there are Python courses that you can take online for free. :thumbs_up:

Python is definitely what you'd want to learn as a prerequisite for an AI course (at Udacity, for example).

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

Sophia music video. Video starts at 1:38.

When you start covering up her obvious robotic parts, she starts getting scary real. 8)

ZZZZ
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ZZZZ »

Begog wrote:Sophia music video. Video starts at 1:38.
"A.I. Love" is sort of clever because "ai" is the Japanese word for "love" and sounds like the English word "I".

brennuvargr

Post by brennuvargr »

I was pointed to this thread by another member, and I thanked them, it proved to be very interesting reading :thumbs_up:

so here are my two-cents worth
ZZZZ wrote:
PaulDenton2001 wrote: I don't want my love bot to be sentient [...] The moment you give them sentience and self-awareness you're starting down a slippery slope to them going full Skynet.
PaulDenton2001 wrote: It needs to create the illusion of intelligence.
OK, but how intelligent does a program have to be to "create the illusion of intelligence"? That's the Turing test!

If you're satisfied with a love slave that can't carry on a convincing conversation, fine. :)
hmmmmmmmm ... well ... some of the ex gf's and ex's I had ... based on the discussion in this thread ... they might not have been able to be classified as "sentient" ... and at least a few of them probably could not have passed the Turing test :roll:
... and I have known way more than a few people over the years that if you classified them as "sentient" ... you would have been seriously lying :twisted:

but hold that thought about "how intelligent does a program have to be to "create the illusion of intelligence"

ZZZZ wrote:
rubherkitty wrote: If you have a service robot w/ some type of AI, why can't you program it as you please?
A old lady may want a old lady robo to talk about the good ole days.
A asexual nerd might was a male buddy robo to talk about Star Wars trivia.

I want a sexy female robo to talk about sex stuff, have fake orgasm's, giggle about silly things, tell much how much she likes her hair brushed. Her intellect and programming needs to be limited and focused solely on the things I want to talk about with her.
[Edited to note, I'm assuming a very high level of AI (capable of having a worthwhile discussion about Star Wars!) and trying to consider the question as thoughtfully as possible from that angle. No offense intended. Not recommended for minors and sensitive readers. Terms and conditions may apply. Ask your doctor if this post is right for you.]

I guess you have to ask yourself, "What if I could precisely lobotomize a human to be limited and focused solely on the things I want to talk about?"

Or you could ask yourself, "What if I could raise a human from birth to be limited and focused solely on the things I want to talk about?"

I'm not sure which metaphor is less humane... take your pick (your lobotomy pick).

P.S. We were talking about the issue over in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1180728#p1180728
"What if I could raise a human from birth to be limited and focused solely on the things I want to talk about?"
... ummmmm ... doing that ... isnt that called "religion" 8O ... I did see LOTS of that type of thing going on during the years I was living in Utah :roll: :whistle:

on a more serious note

as for "how intelligent does a program have to be to "create the illusion of intelligence" ... are you referring to the illusion of intelligence as being the appearance of sentience ... then I'm not sure that "intelligence" is the yardstick we should be using ... after all, I imagine that most in here have known at least one or two people during their lives that were VERY intelligent, but that might not be considered "sentient" ... the weirdo super high IQ types who seem to be more like an 0X from another world, than a human
... or the type of person who lives so wrapped up in their own thoughts that they dont even seem to notice what is going on around them, and they dont really even care
... and we don't even need to go in to a discussion about some artists like Salvador Dali

for "sentience" ... I'm not sure is it so much a measure of "intelligence", as it is how that entity interacts with their world and other entities like it

for humans to appear sentient ... it seems to be more a measure of how they perceive the the world around them (including other humans), and how they react to that world, and communicate those perceptions to other humans
... and ... to appear "sentient", it seems to also require a degree of "uniqueness" for the individual ... they have to have a personality of their own, their own views and opinions, their own likes and dislikes
... when those attitudes/opinions and view points are similar to our own ... we can become friends with them ... and if there is also sexual attraction as well ... then the relationship can proceed to that of "lover", "significant other", girlfriend, boyfriend, or spouse
... to be considered a normal intelligent human being ... most would probably add in the requirement that the person should have the ability to be "aware" of the situation ... to be able to be aware of the feelings and mood around them ... and let's be honest, there are WAY more than a few humans who are completely oblivious to the mood and feelings of others

so ... how to create an AI that can more closely emulate human behavior patterns

some of the work has already been done ... and is commercially available

chatbot programs have been around since at least 1966
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

"expert systems" have been around since at least the 1970's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_system
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/14680394

as for creating a robot that can understand human emotions and respond appropriately ... it is already available ... it goes by the name "Pepper" ... a cute humanoid type robot that has been making it's mark all around the world, by being used by various businesses and other agencies all over the world ... as well as being owned by many people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_(robot)
taken from this link https://www.ald.softbankrobotics.com/en/robots/pepper
"
The emotion at the heart of the robot
Pepper has been designed to identify your emotions and to select the behaviour best suited to the situation.
Based on your voice, the expression on your face, your body movements and the words you use, Pepper will interpret your emotion and offer appropriate content.
He will also respond personally to the mood of the moment, expressing himself through the colour of his eyes, his tablet or his tone of voice.
"

as for how to give an AI the semblance of an actual personality, with it's own opinions, attitudes, likes and dislikes ... the "algorithm" for that has been around for at least 3000-4000 years

... and before I even start this part of the discussion ... I would like to ask that those of you who only know anything about this topic because of the sorry-assed mass-media books about it, that are so poorly written that they are pretty much useless ... please do NOT immediately pounce so that you can rant about how "it is all just superstitious nonsense"

as for the scientific justification for this topic ... that would require a VERY deep discussion into areas like the theories of gravitation, magnetism and electical phenomoena, and quantum physics ... and an understanding of Einstein's "unified field theory" would help
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_field_theory

... what I am talking about is astrology ... specificially the branch of it known as "personality astrology" ... which if you actually study it from worthwhile texts (which I have) ... it provides a fully structured array of well defined variables used to define a personality ... and additionally, how those variables interact with each other
... by adding in a study of "relationship" astrology ...it should be possible to create a database that a program could use to give it a degree of personality and uniqueness, that would be complementary to that of the owner ... this would help in preventing that sense of boredom that can set in when things are too much the same for too long ... it could help the owner from getting bored with their sexbot because the bot's responses would become too predictable
... and as a "fail-safe" ... that feature should be able to be turned off by the owner, because some people actually do like relationships that are very predictable

the third point I think that needs to be addressed, in order for an AI/bot to act in a more human-like manner ... is a sense of time
... that way your bot would know the difference between you being gone during the day while you are at work, or you leaving for an extended period of time like taking a vacation or going on a business trip ... that way once you arrived back home, she would be using the appropriate phrases ... and she would be able to use the appropriate speech patterns if one of your friends comes over to visit and it has been several weeks or months since she last saw him
... and if she has that "personality" modification that I talked about ... on a random basis, instead of just welcoming you home with a hug and kiss ... she starts rubbing and grinding against you, as she playfully tells you that it has been sooooooo long since you last had her, and she really really "needs" you, right now ... and you decide that dinner can wait :twisted:

INFORMATIONS