Starpery.com

Use amazon DOT Alexa as AI voice for doll

Got an idea? Need an invention?
timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Use amazon DOT Alexa as AI voice for doll

Post by timetraveler1 »

Stewie studmuffin the fear of a.i. you mentioned only with motorized hands . which for the public is still a while off , but i do know what you mean .

Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gundam »

Hmmm. Mint not the best distro me thinks for now. Installed Fedora. Still working on getting the rest. Need to take a break for a few days. But, I think a good way to go to experiment on the cheap, is to use Mycroft as it is open source. Amazon has a version of Alexa for Raspberry PI, which looks free to developers but it appears to take a bit of registration.

I would like to get it working in a VM just to play with. If I was going to embed it in a doll, I would go Raspberry Pi as it is already been done (meaning Mycroft on Raspberry PI). They appear to have a distro already called Picroft:

https://mycroft.ai/get-mycroft/

As for all the limitations, about speech recognition and the like, that is what this is for! For folks like us to help it get better.

I might get a bit side tracked so please don't wait for any great things from me for a while. I do hope to at least get Mycroft working in a VirtualBox WM and if so, will share my configuration pains. :whistle:
Attachments
IMAG0119.jpg
IMAG0119.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 2303 times
Picroft.png
Picroft.png (88.21 KiB) Viewed 2303 times

EBmoist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by EBmoist »

Thank you for starting to develop it!

Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gundam »

Ok, I skipped the VM and went straight to the Raspberry Pi or Picroft build.

This was my first hands on Raspberry Pi project. Colleagues have been raving for years. For hardware, I went with the CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Kit with Clear Case and 2.5A Power Supply from Amazon for $49.99.

Installing Picroft was pretty painless. First download the IMG file from:
https://github.com/MycroftAI/enclosure-picroft

Burn the Picroft image to the SD card, put it in and boot. The boot process then makes the box a WIFI network. You then can connect from your phone or another computer and complete the setup. Once Picroft is connected the internet, it then takes you to their site to register. Take note! The Picroft box will display a registration code, you will need a monitor connected to get this code. After that, no need to use a monitor.

The default configuration only works with a speaker plugged into the 1/8th inch adapter. You can modify the config to use USB or Bluetooth. Warning, this is all text based, no GUI on the box.

One big drawback for anyone thinking of putting it in a doll, is it is a male voice, lol. But for $19.00 a year, to be a supporter, you get access to more voices and I see a female is supposedly ready. I will try this later.

Over all, very easy to get going. But besides the male voice there is a bigger issue; the mic is on, it is connected to the internet and you gave them some registration ID. So, those worried about remote eavesdropping have good reason for concern.

I also noticed that Microsoft has joined the Raspberry Pi AI game this week, with Cortana on Windows 10 IoT. Planning to look at this too. So for now, I see Mycroft, Amazon Alexa and Cortana as well as Jasper and also Google announcing AI support for Raspberry Pi. This is a great time to get on the ground floor of what promises to be the most exciting change of the next decade, AI. And for us doll enthusiasts, even more so.

Not sure which to do next, Alexa, Cortana or Jasper. Will keep my friends here up to date as things progress.
Attachments
PiKit.jpeg
PiKit.jpeg (23.78 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
IMAG0629.jpg
IMAG0629.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 2258 times

EBmoist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by EBmoist »

Well my friend- you are doing well as the pioneer to this venture, keep it up! one thought thou even when you have this all adjusted and working,, what are your thoughts for power source? Mabe im thinking too far ahead but i would think its a factor since you really dont want a cord hanging off your girl

Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gundam »

EBmoist wrote:what are your thoughts for power source? Mabe im thinking too far ahead but i would think its a factor since you really dont want a cord hanging off your girl
Makerfocus Lithium Battery Expansion Board for Raspberry Pi - $16.99 from Amazon
Attachments
RasBat.jpg
RasBat.jpg (121.7 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
IMAG0600.jpg
IMAG0600.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 2245 times

Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gundam »

Ok, just got Alexa working on the Raspberry Pi and I find it more mature then the Picroft build. Much faster response time then Picroft and greater capabilities it seems right out of the box. Also helps to have a female voice.

Installation was way more convoluted though. Picroft was a precompiled OS. Alexa runs on Raspbian and requires a few commands to get it started. There was a bit more time and clicks to get registered as well, but the wiki from github was right on:
https://github.com/alexa/alexa-avs-samp ... et-started

It was really cool to then be able to talk to Alexa! I am keeping her up a few days and see how it goes.

As for doll use though, all the out of the box AIs, want to be connected. So not sure I would trust her to keep our private life just between us, no matter what AI engine is used. Hard to see how to work this out in the future.
Attachments
IMAG0210.jpg
IMAG0210.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 2239 times

EndlessJourney
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by EndlessJourney »

Be careful with alexa , yo unever know what they do with the data they get.

Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gundam »

EndlessJourney wrote:Be careful with alexa , yo unever know what they do with the data they get.
This is true no matter what AI is used. I will say, that after playing with a few AIs, Alexa is the most full featured that runs on the Raspberry Pi. I am giving her the title of coolest AI for Pi. There library of skills is what makes it:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... exa-skills

Note that I couldn’t find any skills that would make her more sexy to chat with. Considering what we already suspect about privacy, this is likely a very good thing. This has got to be true of all the AIs; Google Home, Alexa, Mycroft, Cortana, Siri and Jasper (these are all I have looked into so far). All require internet connection to maintain their skills. So what can be done to allow a lovebot to contain sexy features without sharing intimate details against their owner’s wishes? I continue to scratch my head. Not sure. Someone here long ago suggested it would likely be best to only have a bluetooth speaker in the doll and control the AI from a computer. I am tending to agree.
Attachments
IMAG0390.jpg
IMAG0390.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 2226 times

EBmoist
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by EBmoist »

I would agree for now- in regards to skills to be learned. I think that give it time.the skill might be introduced thru a 3rd party prehaps?

dullahan
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dullahan »

I've been using the Abyss' Harmony AI App for 2 weeks now. It would certainly be able to do what you want in the near future, when it gets updated. It does not need the head in order to work. The App is standalone.

It can already converse and learn at a basic level. Still a lot more than Alexa and Siri can. It can actually initiate conversations.

While it is still at its infancy and doesn't know a whole lot about different topics yet, it's still the closest you can get to having a conversational companion AI.
TRY MY SEX SOUND APP WITH YOUR DOLL!

http://dullahanprojects.com/plaisonar/

Works with all HTML5-compatible phones. Just press the pink button and shake your phone!

App Discussion: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=45

MannyCan
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by MannyCan »

If you want sounds from your doll the simplest thing is to get a mini bluetooth speaker like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX0OB55nBN8

Pop it in her mouth.
Then you can just connect it to a phone, and set up a playlist of sounds and phrases.

I could see myself opening the back of the skull and embedding it there. Maybe one day.

Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gundam »

I haven't installed Harmony, but from what I read and see on the interwebs, it is designed to do what a doll owner is probably looking for in an chatbot AI. Alexa is not at all the way to go unless you just want to give Alexa a nice body to look at.

I know Alexa lives in the cloud, not the local hardware. With Harmony being in an Android, it certainly may also. I am curious if that is true. So either way, your AI could be spying on you and that's probably not what anyone would want.

Cascadian

Post by Cascadian »

ValarMorgulis wrote:It has potential. Just remember that the legal ramifications for Amazon's Alexa are still being pondered:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired. ... ivacy/amp/

One thing I am sure I would never want out there in the information universe is a collection of recordings of my being intimate with my doll(s). I am hoping that any AI for dolls is also not part of an online collective.
Companies doing this should embrace open-source design. There already is way too much customer data collection being done secretively.

dullahan
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by dullahan »

Gundam wrote:I haven't installed Harmony, but from what I read and see on the interwebs, it is designed to do what a doll owner is probably looking for in an chatbot AI. Alexa is not at all the way to go unless you just want to give Alexa a nice body to look at.

I know Alexa lives in the cloud, not the local hardware. With Harmony being in an Android, it certainly may also. I am curious if that is true. So either way, your AI could be spying on you and that's probably not what anyone would want.
Harmony lives in both but the discussions are encrypted. They are only readable with your account.

Although google can log your text-to-speech unless you disallow that from the settings.
TRY MY SEX SOUND APP WITH YOUR DOLL!

http://dullahanprojects.com/plaisonar/

Works with all HTML5-compatible phones. Just press the pink button and shake your phone!

App Discussion: http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=45

INFORMATIONS