Starpery.com

Project: Aurora Aguilera. Plastic doll conversion.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: Project: Aurora Aguilera. Plastic doll conversion.

Post by rubherkitty »

To do any bondo work on the stomach I need to do the sides which means I need to do the butt too.
So I'm working on butt cheeks today & tonight. Decided to try something new to save on bondo and weight.

Butt view and butt w/ plastic wrap.
IMAG0001.JPG
IMAG0001.JPG (221.62 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
IMAG0002.JPG
IMAG0002.JPG (237.37 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Clay butt cheek. This will be the form for a fiberglass shell that will be covered w/ bondo so I need it back on the edges so I can blend it in. The clay form just needs to be rounded to shape and smooth, but not sculpted perfect.
IMAG0003.JPG
IMAG0003.JPG (233.7 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
IMAG0004.JPG
IMAG0004.JPG (234.31 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
IMAG0005.JPG
IMAG0005.JPG (226.01 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Laying up fiberglass cloth in little pieces. I just mix up a little resin in a waxed cardboard dixie cup and apply the resin to the clay w/a acid brush. I then lay the fiberglass cloth in place then smooth it down w/ more resin. Around 3/4 of a tablespoon and 7 drops of hardener is enough for 3-4 cloth pieces. That much harder will set the resin up pretty fast which is what I want as I don't want the cloth moving around and resin running everywhere. I tried mixing resin in a plastic dixie cup and it ate right through. Figure on pitching the brush and cup for every mix.
IMAG0006.JPG
IMAG0006.JPG (273.81 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Remove the plastic and buttcheek from the doll. Take care to save the clay cheek form to use for the other side. Here is the fiberglass buttcheek. It's very thin w/ even 2 layers of the cloth & resin so I added more to the inside, but stayed away from the edges. Normal you could keep applying cloth to the outside, but I was afraid to make the buttcheek any taller. For the inside I started w/ cloth, but used fiberglass mat which is much thicker than the cloth and will use more resin too. Builds up thickness much faster.
IMAG0007.JPG
IMAG0007.JPG (216.82 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
I mixed up a batch of bondo glass and quickly applied it to the inside edges of the buttcheek and on the doll body where needed the pressed the cheek in place. I then went around w/a small batch of bondo glass to add more adhesion and to smooth some of the edges of the cheek.
IMAG0009.JPG
IMAG0009.JPG (290.16 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
IMAG0010.JPG
IMAG0010.JPG (268.55 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Cover the doll and fiberglass cheek w/ plastic wrap. I then warmed the clay cheek form up w/a hair drier and pushed the clay concave the other direction and layed in place on the opposite side and smooth it down. Now I will do the same process for this side as the first.
IMAG0011.JPG
IMAG0011.JPG (312.44 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Outstanding work so far RK! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Very clever with the clay butt cheek. I was wondering how you were going to reuse it for the left side.
Just plop it down and bend it the other direction - excellent! :)

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Yeah, it seemed to work out fine. Just needed to be close. I was going to make both cheeks and then do all the glass work, but not necessarily have the cheeks connected.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

She looks amazing . great work r.h.k
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks Sam

Finally getting some bondo laid down.

First step is covering the extension metal at stomach and build up on the RH side of chest that was sculpted lower than the LH side by probably 1/2".
IMAG0001.JPG
IMAG0001.JPG (224.14 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
IMAG0002.JPG
IMAG0002.JPG (237.9 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Extension covered on back side and butt cheeks getting some bondo.
IMAG0004.JPG
IMAG0004.JPG (199.33 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Rib cage work w/ torso template as a guide.
IMAG0005.JPG
IMAG0005.JPG (212.14 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Going to lay down some bondo for some nice stomach muscles.
IMAG0006.JPG
IMAG0006.JPG (217.57 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Hope Aurora turns out like this.
Dasha A 4.jpg
Dasha A 4.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 1383 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Wow, missed this last post.
Looks like she's shaping up nicely RK!
Will be cool to see how it all gels together with the boobs and rib cage detail.

BTW, what tools are you using to shape the bondo?

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks
Here are a few more shots of the latest as of Weds night. Have to work on other stuff for awhile.
Got the front 95% done.
IMAG0001.JPG
IMAG0001.JPG (237.3 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
And the back 50% done.
IMAG0003.JPG
IMAG0003.JPG (212.33 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
The traditional applicators are called Swiss Spreaders and sold at auto parts stores and even Walmart in their auto body repair section. They're just plastic spreaders, but they are pretty firm. Fine for flat areas, but I cut down plastic lids to different shapes and sizes for custom work. The lids are much easier to flex into concave and convex shapes, but won't move a huge mass on bondo real easy.
I use a large popsicle stick to smear the bondo onto the area I want covered and have the proper shape applicator ready to go to smooth it out. Seems to work better with less missed spots and holes doing it this way then trying to scoop the bondo off the tray w/ the spreader itself then smearing it on. Especially w/ the softer can lid spreaders. I've also taped a can lid spreader onto a heavy spreader w/ around 3/8" of the lid spreader hanging off so if you have a large application, but you want a little softer edge or custom shape edge that works too. The soft edge seems to lay a finer feather edge of bondo and follows body contours better too.

Sometimes I use a screwdriver tip, spoon or a finger for rounded grooves or dips. Whatever works.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Those are going to be nice buns! Looking good already.
So what do you use for shaping the hardened bondo? Sandpaper, rasps?

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Shaping.
Any big bumps or swirls can be trimmed w/a knife once it just sets up.
Then I used a coarse rasp to knock and high spots down before another application.

Doing the butt cheeks would be a number of big applications. Then smaller applications to try and tie it all together or build up in areas. Then I might rasp or course file any high spots then do finer fill ins, etc. I build up by layering heavy to lighter applications rather than making huge applications then doing lots of rasp work. You have to work quick before the bondo gels as you know and trying to sling huge volumes of bondo to make something like ass cheeks would be a disaster for me anyway. Many small applications = less wasted material and filing, dust, etc. I'm working in the heat again and only getting about 30 seconds after mixing to lay the bondo down. 15 sec to apply the bondo w/ the stick and 15 sec to smooth it out and better be done.

On the butt cheeks now, there are a few more lows spots that need filled in then I will be ready to try and apply some really smooth final coat layers on what I have there. Not going any bigger.

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Wow awesome. She looks sweet so far. You certainly have great skills.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks Sam

OK, have the torso and butt, less boobs done. I want to get the legs on and roughed in then Aurora gets a primary paint job. I plan to mold silicone boobs, but that will have to wait for awhile. I have a foam Nerf ball I can make some temp boobs for her for now.

The bondo work is overall uniform, smooth, etc. There may still be some high or low spots, etc. The cheeks may not be 100% matching, but this is OK for a OOAK doll for play. If this was a model for a silicone doll mold I could take more time w/ curved templates, calipers, etc to get them more uniform.
As it stands, I probably have 6-7 longs days of bondo work and smoothing just on this torso phase.

Butt cheeks overall shaped. Filling in marked areas.
IMAG0001.JPG
IMAG0001.JPG (188.73 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
Filling in last of the small areas missed. This is probably the 5-6th time over of filling in areas.
IMAG0002.JPG
IMAG0002.JPG (262.65 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
All filled in and sanded.
IMAG0003.JPG
IMAG0003.JPG (202.25 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
IMAG0005.JPG
IMAG0005.JPG (207.3 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
IMAG0006.JPG
IMAG0006.JPG (215.88 KiB) Viewed 1287 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Wow!
Very nicely done RK! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
I can appreciate the work it takes to get it looking this nice!

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

You are a master

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Thank you fans! :glou: All 2 of you! :lol:

Yeah, a lot of putty to lay done and smooth out. Knew it would be a big job though. Wish I was putting all this into a silicone doll mold, but it will take yrs to get into that. Hopefully this toy will keep me entertained for awhile. Master screw off am I, I do not deny. I guess making love dolls beats staring at faded water colors of Petunia's stuck on the fridge.

Got the legs attached and laying down some bondo. Not sure how much I'm going to build them up though. Opened a new can of bondo so it's really nice stuff. The old can was getting so dried out I had to add fiberglass resin to reconstitute it some so I could use it up.

Something I bought recently was Devcon Epoxy in these squeeze bottles. Good if you use a lot of std 5 min epoxy. 9 oz's for like $17.00 where I was paying $5.00 for a 1 oz syringe type. I also always had trouble w/ the epoxy wanting to leak out of the syringe. Always had to try and tape the caps on, etc. Had them leak out the pusher side too.
devcon epoxy.jpg
devcon epoxy.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Attaching legs. This was a cut at the thigh and extend 2 inches project.
Cut 3 strips of metal and epoxied and riveted in. Rivets were aluminum to keep from damaging the nylon body.
IMAG0001.JPG
IMAG0001.JPG (246.16 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Cut a strip of metal to make a collar and epoxied and riveted that in too using steel rivets.
IMAG0003.JPG
IMAG0003.JPG (225.17 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Applied a base coat of bondo glass for strength.
IMAG0004.JPG
IMAG0004.JPG (241.09 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Applying regular bondo which is half the price of bondo glass.
IMAG0005.JPG
IMAG0005.JPG (219.47 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Hopefully more progress by Sun night.

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Very very cool. Can't wait for more

INFORMATIONS