Starpery.com

Eye contact

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Wiliam

Re: Eye contact

Post by Wiliam »

I don't know enough about arduino to know if the sensors could be programmed to track a specific pattern, such as an iris or irises. Or if the sensors are small enough to fit inside the sclera. It is, however, fun to think about :D

jblock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jblock »

I was interested in this also, but in a lower tech way. I saw some dolls in the 60's had "follow me" eyes, but don't seem to be made any longer. I found this how to on YT, looked interesting:

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Disassemble a furby. The eyes on furby follow the owner around.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

RoadRoller

Post by RoadRoller »

Have a look at Gazeroid, she does eye contact very nicely.
She uses a Microsoft Kinect in her chest to track movement around and detect people. I guess the processing unit is a simple computer running some software built with Kinect SDK. Mechanically speaking, controlling servos with an Arduino board will do, or even easier, a Pololu Maestro board.
- DollAutomation.com -
A NSFW collection of seemingly living dolls, figures, sexbots and things.

BigBurrito

Post by BigBurrito »

Little late for the party, here is my project
Attachments
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG (363.36 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG (338.77 KiB) Viewed 3596 times

DNA

Post by DNA »

BigBurrito wrote:Little late for the party, here is my project
Nice job, merits reviving the post. If someone put together a mod kit I would go for it !

Teppo
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Teppo »

Very late to the party. Big Burrito, did you ever get your device implanted into a head? Seems like connection through the eyes is more important than a witty AI.

BigBurrito

Post by BigBurrito »

The head has a ways to go, got the eyes in and use a RC remote for now. Thats a way old pic of my first gen build. love to install in a WM head, but the routing of the oral tube makes it difficult. Still nothing holding me back but me, i'll get past it anyway. Just got a Micro Maestro 6 channel servo controller i will try out
Attachments
IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1770.JPG (332.41 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG (346.74 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG (343.39 KiB) Viewed 3421 times

BigBurrito

Post by BigBurrito »

Yeah, the eyes in the WM heads are a big problem for me right now, a pain to position

craig22835
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by craig22835 »

The InMoov open source project has a 3d printable eye assembly. Do a search for "inmoov eye assembly". It is compact enough that it should fit. They have Jaw and neck control setups but that would require major surgery on the doll. You probably should find quiet servos because the noise would get annoying.

BigBurrito

Post by BigBurrito »

craig22835 wrote:The InMoov open source project has a 3d printable eye assembly. Do a search for "inmoov eye assembly". It is compact enough that it should fit. They have Jaw and neck control setups but that would require major surgery on the doll. You probably should find quiet servos because the noise would get annoying.
Thanks, good stuff here, now just got to get a 3D printer

BigBurrito

Post by BigBurrito »

MannequinFan has a great setup for the WM head eye fix;https://youtu.be/H1aMTvRIt8I

FeelingReality
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by FeelingReality »

Thanks, good stuff here, now just got to get a 3D printer
I was just looking at ebay the other day and the price have of 3D printers has come down remarkably.
Starting at around $200 including delivery, all in Australian dollars to Australia.

Im sure you don't want to jump on the first one you see, as speed is an issue and printing size maximum as well. But Im optimistic that I will probably spend about $400 on one in the near future. Prices are always coming down on these things. There are still the higher end ones of thousands, but you don't want a rolls royce to go to the shops, when a Chinese Ford will do the trick.
Feeling is Reality

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Here's some LCD eyes. They are 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" flat displays so really too large for a normal doll.
Might be usable for a creature doll.
The eyes move in parallel, but unfortunately move randomly and do not track. There are some animatronic people working on that though.
The eyes in the video are the top quality and require a Raspberry Pi3 to operate. There is a slightly lower quality that can operate off a mini controller and battery and the whole package run about $100.00. Many holiday prop makers are going this route vs servo operated eyes and blinking mechanics. Certainly not museum or movie quality solutions.
Attachments
eyes LCD.mp4
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 2091 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

JamesWorld

Post by JamesWorld »

LEDs have been used for years for following light or dark objects...

But Pixy, a kickstart camera board for lego mindstorms in 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8sl3nMlYxM

now takes 60 pics per second and can identify color and track up to 100 different objects in real time. available from Charmed Labs for $60.

INFORMATIONS