3d printed eyes with quick change lenses

Got an idea? Need an invention?
MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Re: 3d printed eyes with quick change lenses

Post by MannequinFan »

WOW!
Those blue eyes really pop with her tan skin!

And she looks so restful in that sleeping pic. :sleeping:
I'm very glad you like them Pip, and thanks for posting the nice photo!

Xander_DL

Post by Xander_DL »

The "woah" effect of your eyelids MF :D

Then seeing it on a doll you feel an emotional attachment with (pure joy & angelic beauty).

MIGuy1740

Post by MIGuy1740 »

I thought I would jump into this thread myself.

First thing, I mean no offense to Manaquinfan. I just thought I would offer a different option. I did write him about eyelids but being an engineer with lots of time on my hands, things just happen!

Where I work, I have access to an RP (Rapid Prototype) machine. The material we use is called "Onyx" and it is a "black" material. The design seemed easy to make so in Solidworks, I designed something up and made the parts in no time at all.

I love, love, LOVE the "smokey eye" look and this material just took one makeup step out of the way!

Just thought I would show my beautiful Kennedy with smokey, sultry eyes! Now I have to add lashes....
Attachments
20180913_164111.jpg
20180913_164111.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 2481 times
20180913_170607.jpg
20180913_170607.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2481 times
Kennedy And I

Panther68
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Panther68 »

Looks great MIGuy1740,

He does do smokey eye lids, too as I have a pair. It's a dark grey. Here is a photo of Anastasia posing with them. Great to have another engineer, here as there are so many new things that can be invented to customize our dolls. This is still a trailblazing industry on so many levels. Welcome aboard.
Attachments
IMG_4577.JPG
IMG_4577.JPG (414.02 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
IMG_4580.JPG
IMG_4580.JPG (434.35 KiB) Viewed 2479 times

MIGuy1740

Post by MIGuy1740 »

Panther,

She looks SUH WEET!... And I figured maybe I missed a post about the smokey eyes, that MF guy knows his thing!

I also have to agree that with what we all have at our disposal these days, the sky is the limit. I have often thought about a fully articulating hand, knuckle by knuckle. I'm working on things like that recently.

One question, what adhesive did you use to put the lashes on?

And I was MORTIFIED after reading the direction on the back of the lashes in the store about applying the adhesive ONLY TO FIND OUT when I got home, it doesn't come with adhesive!!
Kennedy And I

ChikkinNoodul
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ChikkinNoodul »

I might want to order a set of smokey eyelids some time soon. I think they'd look great on Alvariel. And quick-change lenses would be interesting as well.
Acomocliticism - interesting word indeed.
http://acomoclitic.blogspot.com/

My Album:
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=10384

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

ChikkinNoodul wrote:I might want to order a set of smokey eyelids some time soon. I think they'd look great on Alvariel. And quick-change lenses would be interesting as well.
Hey CN, thanks for the bump. :)
I'm taking a break from eye making this month. Be back at it in January.
I have a new pedestal system in the works. :wink:
Just keep an eye out on the sale page here for all my stuff...
viewtopic.php?f=267&t=100373

Milana
Doll
Doll

Post by Milana »

Hello Mannequinfan !! does your eyes system fit to a 6YE head ?

I measured the existing eye iris 14mm and the size of the half globe 30mm

the orbit of the eye is filled with cotton.

I'm looking for gray eyes and closed eyelids

ZannyDanger
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by ZannyDanger »

I've had MF eyes for all my dolls for a while now, one of the best purchases i ever made! :D

Back when i ordered i bought a couple extra lenses because i knew i would wind up with a dark elf one day.
Eventually i opted to go with Sanhui for my Dark Elf, which sadly meant the MF eyes wouldn't fit.

As it turns out though, with Sanhui's new eye system the MF eyes can indeed be fitted, though it's a bit tricky.
If someone else wanted to try this, you have to be very careful removing the Sanhui eyeballs. It's all one big spring loaded capsule and you might end up damaging your doll if not very careful.

As for fitting the MF eyes, unfortunately the eye socket cavity is too deep to use the swivel bases. What i did was stuff small sponge quares in there, just enough to put sufficient pressure behind the eyes. This way you can move the eyes easily by gently pressing on them and they'll stay put otherwise. As for the size, i'd say it's a great fit :thumbs_up:

Thought i'd share this, and properly thank MF for the vibrant violet eyes, who are now finally being used for their original intended purpose!

:glou:

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey ZD thanks for the post! Outstanding photo! :D
I'm very glad you were able to make them work with your Sanhui.

BTW, I have a new pedestal system now that might work better for this situation.
You can essentially use any length screw without affecting center of rotation.
viewtopic.php?p=1422993#p1422993

How deep is the eye socket on the Sanhui?

Milana,
Thanks for your interest. I sent you a PM.

ZannyDanger
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by ZannyDanger »

MannequinFan wrote:Hey ZD thanks for the post! Outstanding photo! :D
I'm very glad you were able to make them work with your Sanhui.
:glou:

MannequinFan wrote: BTW, I have a new pedestal system now that might work better for this situation.
You can essentially use any length screw without affecting center of rotation.
viewtopic.php?p=1422993#p1422993

How deep is the eye socket on the Sanhui?
I just checked and i think your new pedestal system would be perfect in this case :thumbs_up:

For my Sanhui, the eye socket cavity is a tiny bit deeper than the eye capsule itself, but i took measurements on the capsule for more accuracy which is 36mm from bottom to the apex of the eyeball. I would add about 5mm for the total cavity depth for adjustments and to be on the safe side.

The capsule's width is a very close 34mm, but on the open end the eyeball width is actually spot on at 32mm so that would indeed be a perfect fit :D

Unfortunately i'm not sure exactly which heads currently use their new eye system as it's still very new. To quote their website:
Sanhui wrote: New Round Eyes
Currently the new round eye design is only available for our new 160/165 unreleased heads. They are not compatible with the existing heads. When customers place an order they can specify if they want the old or new head/eye design.

Currently the new round eye design only features one iris and is not replaceable. We are working on another prototype that will be removable. Should they make it into production I will update this section when more information is available.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Thanks for the info ZD! :thumbs_up:

I can just make a special base for Sanhui that's taller and larger diameter so it's stable and can use the standard screw sizes for more adjustment range.

ChikkinNoodul
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ChikkinNoodul »

I really need a pair of those dark grey eyelids for Alvariel, and also a pair of eyes (the half-round ones) with a bunch of lenses. She's a regular Jinsan #286 elf head (YL Doll Bella). I'm also thinking about getting a second head (probably Jinsan #188 YL Doll Rinia aka Rania), and I'm pretty sure I want eyelids and eyes for that one as well.
Acomocliticism - interesting word indeed.
http://acomoclitic.blogspot.com/

My Album:
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=10384

LeftyFled
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by LeftyFled »

If/when I get 'my' doll, I will definitely like to have a set of the eyelids so they can close, should they still be available. Being able to change eye colour might be something worth trying too. Though I'd settle on one colour eventually, the chance to see how a deeper blue and brown compare in the final doll would be good. One of my improvements crossed off the list then :)

Xander_DL

Post by Xander_DL »

LeftyFled wrote:If/when I get 'my' doll, I will definitely like to have a set of the eyelids so they can close, should they still be available. Being able to change eye colour might be something worth trying too. Though I'd settle on one colour eventually, the chance to see how a deeper blue and brown compare in the final doll would be good. One of my improvements crossed off the list then :)

I got a set myself a while ago, you won't regret it :D

INFORMATIONS